Plan to see the America's Cup go down under


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby Rye Catcher » Thu May 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Kiwis are tough, knowledgeable and well prepared. The Swedes will bail out and the Italians and Kiwis will duke it out to face Oracle. Then the Kiwis will win in a sweep. Watch this video. Very impressive.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sportvideos/n ... _id=133228
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby meninblack » Fri May 31, 2013 5:38 am

When it returns down under, I hope they go back to sailing real yachts
meninblack
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby Rye Catcher » Fri May 31, 2013 11:35 am

meninblack wrote:When it returns down under, I hope they go back to sailing real yachts


I agree. I suggest a new monohull formula something like the ACC rules.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby bambam » Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 pm

Rye Catcher wrote:
meninblack wrote:When it returns down under, I hope they go back to sailing real yachts


I agree. I suggest a new monohull formula something like the ACC rules.


So they'll race all year long and then Duke and Carolina will play to see who wins??
bambam
 
Posts: 3848
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Durham, NC

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby Rye Catcher » Fri May 31, 2013 2:53 pm

bambam wrote:
Rye Catcher wrote:
meninblack wrote:When it returns down under, I hope they go back to sailing real yachts


I agree. I suggest a new monohull formula something like the ACC rules.


So they'll race all year long and then Duke and Carolina will play to see who wins??


Well, I guess you could look at it that way, but this ACC is the "America's Cup Class", the last rating formula before the racers went crazy with speed.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby Rye Catcher » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:58 pm

After the New Zealand team wins the cup back, I believe they will return the formula back to something more reasonable. I will admit that the big cats in San Francisco bay, at the speeds they achieve, will be a great spectator event because of where the venue is, but the Americas's Cup represents traditional sailing. BTW, if you look at the 4 team's crew make ups, you will see that Kiwi's are dominant. The American defender has 2 Americans on the crew of about 14. The Kiwi's deserve to win.
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby meninblack » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Rye Catcher wrote:The Kiwi's deserve to win.


Agreed!
meninblack
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby Rye Catcher » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:43 am

Here's a good place to get caught up with the America's Cup info.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/americas-cup/ ... m?c_id=531
Rye Catcher
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby gh » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:53 pm

Rye Catcher wrote:... BTW, if you look at the 4 team's crew make ups, you will see that Kiwi's are dominant. The American defender has 2 Americans on the crew of about 14. The Kiwi's deserve to win.


SF Chronicle had big story on this today.

Team makeups (total):
New Zealand 27
Australia 16
Italy 11
England 10
France 4
Canada & U.S. 3
Netherlands 2
Argentina & Antigua 1
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Plan to see the America's Cup go down under

Postby meninblack » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

gh wrote:
Rye Catcher wrote:... BTW, if you look at the 4 team's crew make ups, you will see that Kiwi's are dominant. The American defender has 2 Americans on the crew of about 14. The Kiwi's deserve to win.


SF Chronicle had big story on this today.

Team makeups (total):
New Zealand 27
Australia 16
Italy 11
England 10
France 4
Canada & U.S. 3
Netherlands 2
Argentina & Antigua 1


Here is this info in graphical form on a team by team basis.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10902944

Only one team where the Kiwis not in the majority.
meninblack
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:09 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests