Paging Lonewolf

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Paging Lonewolf

Postby user4 » Sat May 25, 2013 11:25 am

Brian wrote:
lonewolf wrote:The devastating thing about today's tornado was the children killed in the school. I ain't tough enough to not be deeply affected by that.

Compassion isn't weakness. It's the foundation of true toughness.

Glad you made it, man.

I would move to OK in a heartbeat if I had work there. Some of the best people I have ever met, hard working and generous folk. But how does an Okie from Moore build a school without a palatial storm shelter ? That is something I would like to know.
user4

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 26, 2013 7:46 pm

I believe both schools pre-date the 1999 tornado.
Not to diminish the severity of the storm and loss of life but there were a lot of unfounded preliminary reports. Actually, six children were killed in one of the schools, not by drowning in a flooded basement but by asphyxiation in a "safe room" that was smothered by debris..
Certainly one death is tragic and one could argue warrants "storm shelters" but, as we can see, there is no guaranteed fail proof solution.

Took over an hour Wednesday to drive two miles on I-35 through the devastated area enroute to West Regional at Austin. The TV pictures are horrifying but don't adequately show the destruction.
lonewolf

Postby 26mi235 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:19 pm

You might want to look at this; a journalist for CNN (and a native) that walked the entire storm route (long).

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/05/us/sutter-walk-oklahoma/?hpt=hp_c2
26mi235

Postby DrJay » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:24 pm

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/sn ... 1667.story

To retrofit every public school in OK with a tornado shelter would cost $2,000,000,000. Including one in the original construction would cost less, but I suspect still several hundred million. We'd like to be able to afford everything in this country, but we cannot.
DrJay

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:35 pm

According to local info releases, all schools built in the Moore tornado path since the 1999 storm have safe rooms or basements.. The two schools involved in the recent tornado fatalities are older schools. They are being rebuilt with safe rooms and expect to be back in business in fall 2014.
lonewolf