Power Ball jackpot is now worth winning

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Power Ball jackpot is now worth winning

Postby Rye Catcher » Sat May 18, 2013 8:21 am

The current cash payout is $376,900,000. The winner will pay $149,200,046 in federal taxes leaving him with $227,699.954. Not bad. The odds of winning the big jackpot, playing one $2 ticket are 175.1 million to one. I have 10 tickets, so my odds are reduced to 17.5 million to one. What would you do with that much money?
Rye Catcher

Re: Power Ball jackpot is now worth winning

Postby lonewolf » Sat May 18, 2013 7:47 pm

Back during the 80s oil boom in Oklahoma astronomical prices were paid for oil/gas leases. Farmers who had barely survived from year to year were suddenly multi-millionaires.. A classmate of mine, one of the few who stayed on the family farm(s) in SW Oklahoma, when asked what he was going to do with all that money, drawled, "Waalll, I reckon I'll just farm it up."
I reckon I would just drill it up.
lonewolf

Postby bambam » Sun May 19, 2013 3:57 am

Driving back from an ortho meeting yesterday at Hilton Head I bought 2 Powerball tickets when I stopped for gas - what the hell, right?

I did not win. I'm very disappointed.
bambam

Postby Dutra5 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 am

Winning ticket sold about 15mi from where I sit now. Unfortunately I did not visit that particular store this week. :(
Dutra5

Postby scottmitchell74 » Sun May 19, 2013 7:51 am

My wife and LOVE to travel, and I particularly like seeing the world's ancient buildings/temples/works, so we would do a lot of traveling. That's the big thing we talk about.

I'd never mow grass or weed-eat again, my wife would never cook again (I don't mind cooking) and I'd probably own a number of classic and modern muscle cars.
scottmitchell74

Postby Master Po » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am

well, I also didn't win. Oops, I forgot to buy a ticket. Next time. In any case, were I to win a mega-jackpot, I would give most of it away, because the tiny bits of philanthropic-charitable donations I can make now are satisfying, and I have always wished I could do more in that area. As for what I kept for myself, I would travel as much as possible, starting with T&F-related and arts-related travel, which I have mostly been unable to do.

In the meantime, I will continue to travel, but mostly to work...
:)
Master Po