Some good movies out

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Some good movies out

Postby jeremyp » Wed May 08, 2013 7:26 am

For those like myself who bypass super hero movies there are 2 good movies out now worth seeing. "The Place Beyond The Pines" and "Mud." The first one is in 3 parts but the previews only focus on the 1st one, and is surprisingly unpredictable. The latter is a modern day "Huckleberry Finn" tale about Arkansas with a very good Matthew McConaughey.
jeremyp

Re: Some good movies out

Postby Marlow » Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am

jeremyp wrote:For those like myself who bypass super hero movies there are 2 good movies out now worth seeing. "The Place Beyond The Pines" and "Mud." The first one is in 3 parts but the previews only focus on the 1st one, and is surprisingly unpredictable. The latter is a modern day "Huckleberry Finn" tale about Arkansas with a very good Matthew McConaughey.

I agree with Mud, but TPBTP was a miss.
Mud was just like Winter's Bone, which I also enjoyed immensely. The exposition was slow, almost lethargic, but the characters quickly grew on you. MM and the Ellis boy were superb.
TPBTP, on the other hand, was unable to engage me (us - wife too) with its broken characters - the karmic chain was over-wrought and off-putting. Ryan Gosling and Brad Cooper did do a great job in the roles, but the story has to be compelling too, and it wasn't. The deus ex machina coincidence, upon which the plot depended, was . . . too much.
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed May 08, 2013 8:40 am

Hmmm??? Well, I thought I enjoyed Place Beyond the Pines. Kinda erratic and ended with a whimper but I did not fidget every minute as I did during The Big Wedding, a star laden waste of two hours, MOL.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed May 08, 2013 8:56 am

lonewolf wrote:Hmmm??? Well, I thought I enjoyed Place Beyond the Pines. Kinda erratic and ended with a whimper but I did not fidget every minute as I did during The Big Wedding, a star laden waste of two hours, MOL.

Well, that's why you have ME to tell you what to think! :D
And I coulda told you not to see Big Wedding!!
Stick wid me kid, and I'll save ya a keisterload o' money!
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

Mea culpa for mistakenly enjoying TPBTP. BTW, is that movie or a film? ...also, I have to be more selective in choosing movies. With two grandsons now playing soccer, my usual Friday movie night faces severe competition for time.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Wed May 08, 2013 1:31 pm

lonewolf wrote:Mea culpa for mistakenly enjoying TPBTP. BTW, is that movie or a film?

Definitely a film. The director as auteur is much at play here. As it is in Mud.
Marlow

Postby jhc68 » Wed May 08, 2013 5:51 pm

Mud is very good... the best work, or at least a return to best form, for just about everyone involved in making the movie. Terrific acting, direction, script, plot. Only flaw is the too Hollywoodish last 10 minutes, but it is a commercial movie (even while also being a "film".)
jhc68

Postby lonewolf » Wed May 08, 2013 8:20 pm

Saw the trailers. Haven't got around to Mud yet but the premise sounds promising. MM usually is pretty good in any role and the kids messing around on the river struck a nostalgic chord of
70 years ago on the North Fork of the Red River.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 am

jhc68 wrote:Mud . . . is a commercial movie (even while also being a "film".)

While almost every movie released to the cineplexes (as opposed to true indie films, which only play in film festivals and art houses) is trying to be 'commercial', one way to tell if it was intended to be a film (vs. movie) is to look at the salary structure of the actors. I saw MM in an interview where he said he was paid peanuts for Mud (plus some points, I'm sure), because he really wanted the role and he 'believed in the authenticity' (translation: I might be nominated for an award) of it.
Marlow

Postby Pego » Thu May 09, 2013 4:18 am

Marlow wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Hmmm??? Well, I thought I enjoyed Place Beyond the Pines. Kinda erratic and ended with a whimper but I did not fidget every minute as I did during The Big Wedding, a star laden waste of two hours, MOL.

Well, that's why you have ME to tell you what to think! :D
And I coulda told you not to see Big Wedding!!
Stick wid me kid, and I'll save ya a keisterload o' money!

A question for you, Marlow. Would you order a dish in the restaurant based on a respectable food critic's recommendation? I am pretty sure I know the answer :wink: .
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Thu May 09, 2013 6:48 am

Pego wrote:[ Would you order a dish in the restaurant based on a respectable food critic's recommendation? : .

For me, only if the food critic recommended chicken fried steak...but I would still be skeptical.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 am

Pego wrote:A question for you, Marlow. Would you order a dish in the restaurant based on a respectable food critic's recommendation? I am pretty sure I know the answer :wink: .

Fight fair!
In matters of culinary aesthetics, I take no counsel but my own! :twisted:
As long as the Twinkies' expiration date is no more than a year ago and the Sprite ain't flat, I'm in!
Marlow

Postby Pego » Thu May 09, 2013 7:37 am

lonewolf wrote:
Pego wrote:[ Would you order a dish in the restaurant based on a respectable food critic's recommendation? : .

For me, only if the food critic recommended chicken fried steak...but I would still be skeptical.

The best one I ever had was in your neighborhood, a dive about 20-30 miles north of OC just off I-35. If the memory serves, Sooner Schooner was the name of the place.
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 am

Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:

The best one I ever had was in your neighborhood, a dive about 20-30 miles north of OC just off I-35. If the memory serves, Sooner Schooner was the name of the place.

Now you got me wondering.. Sooner Schooner is the miniature Conestoga wagon pulled by Boomer and Sooner at OU football games and the name of a campus retail store..I am not familiar with a cafe of that name.
There is a country cafe on the east side of I-35 at exit just south of Guthrie that fits the location.. I did not know it had a name...never had occasion to stop there, will do so next time I go by.
The local concensus is best chicken fried steak is at Ann's on West 39th Street, just west of Portland.. (old Route 66) still has 1940s vintage B&W cop car parked out front.
One of my favorite places to entertain congenial visitors from out of town.
Cash only, no checks or credit cards... not a big deal, you probably could not eat $10 worth of food..and they issue you a white felt tip to autograph a brick in the floor to ceiling red brick wall in the two dining rooms and hallway..the wall is getting pretty full, better hurry.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Thu May 09, 2013 8:38 am

All I remember is that it was somewhere between the end of Kansas turnpike and OC, off one of the exits, in the middle of nowhere. It has been a while, who knows, it may not even exist anymore. A greasy spoon with superb breakfast :D .
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 am

Pego wrote: A greasy spoon with superb breakfast :D .

My kind of place. Boulder use to have a place just like that at Broadway and Spruce. I went there all of the time.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Brian » Thu May 09, 2013 6:57 pm

jeremyp wrote:For those like myself who bypass super hero movies there are 2 good movies out now worth seeing. "The Place Beyond The Pines" and "Mud." The first one is in 3 parts but the previews only focus on the 1st one, and is surprisingly unpredictable. The latter is a modern day "Huckleberry Finn" tale about Arkansas with a very good Matthew McConaughey.

Appreciate your (and other) thoughts on these two shows. I've been playing with perhaps seeing both, although time, as it is for others on here, is limited.

Mud intrigued me; have always wondered if McConaughey was annoying to me because of his acting skills (or lack thereof) or because he didn't get the correct roles (still his and his agent's fault). All reviews praise him on this one, but I usually put more stock in someone's opinion who isn't part of the biz.

So thanks.
Brian

Postby Brian » Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 pm

Conor Dary wrote:

My kind of place. Boulder use to have a place just like that at Broadway and Spruce. I went there all of the time.

Are you perchance referring to the old amazingly misnamed "Aristocrat Cafe"--?

Lady friend and I working odd jobs in Boulder while training one summer got stood up by a guy we were to meet there about a job. So it became known to us as the "A Piece of Crap Cafe", although we never actually ate anything there.
Brian

Postby KDFINE » Sun May 12, 2013 7:14 am

We saw "The Company They Keep," the Robert Redford movie, last night. Its a little long, but it held our interest.
KDFINE

Postby Conor Dary » Sun May 12, 2013 8:20 am

Brian wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:

Are you perchance referring to the old amazingly misnamed "Aristocrat Cafe"--?

Lady friend and I working odd jobs in Boulder while training one summer got stood up by a guy we were to meet there about a job. So it became known to us as the "A Piece of Crap Cafe", although we never actually ate anything there.

Thanks Brian, for reminding me of the name. The Aristocrat. You really missed out on a great thing. I loved their greasy omelets and hashbrowns. 30 years ago I use to eat there at least once a week, that and Tom's Tavern, were our favorite hangouts. Back in the days when Boulder was a nice town to live in.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 pm

My wife and I recently saw "Kon-Tiki". It's a Norwegian film from 2012 which tells the famous story of the 1947 voyage across the Pacific. The film is in English and is very good.
DoubleRBar

Postby Marlow » Sun May 19, 2013 4:20 pm

Don't look now, but Iron Man 3 just passed a $BILLION in gross.
Marlow

Postby KDFINE » Mon May 20, 2013 10:03 am

It won't be out until December, but today's N.Y. Times reports that the Coen brothers movie "Inside Llewyn Davis" was very well received at the Cannes film festival. Parts of the movie are inspired by the Dave Van Ronk bio "The Mayor of MacDougal Street" - itself a wonderful book.
KDFINE