Iron Man 3

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Iron Man 3

Postby donley2 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:49 am

Whats the hold up Marlow? Where is the review? Anyway expected to be a possible 160 to 180 million dollar opening weekend. Its currently at 78% fresh on rottentomatoes.com so probably watchable.
donley2

Re: Iron Man 3

Postby Marlow » Fri May 03, 2013 1:00 pm

donley2 wrote:Whats the hold up Marlow? Where is the review? Anyway expected to be a possible 160 to 180 million dollar opening weekend. Its currently at 78% fresh on rottentomatoes.com so probably watchable.

Sorrrrrrry! The preview was Monday and I had a work commitment.
Arrrggghhh - now I have to pay my way in with the Great Unwashed. How degrading!!
I can't go till Sunday. I feel so . . . out of it . . . :P
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Sat May 04, 2013 6:29 am

Speaking of Vox Populi!
jeremyp

Postby user4 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:06 am

I was dragged to it ... it was an epic waste of time.
user4

Postby Brian » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

user4 wrote:I was dragged to it ... it was an epic waste of time.

Couldn't agree more--and I love these Marvel Studios films!

What didn't appeal to me was both the story itself and how it was shown...not surprising as the screenplay was co-written by the guy who directed it, Shane Black. Among Black's other films were the Lethal Weapon flicks. [Jon Favereu directed the first two IM films and played chauffeur/friend Happy Hogan; he was given a larger role in IM3. Compensation--?]

Now, judging by the reviews of various critics, some people liked this movie. I didn't. One of the things that works with the Marvel characters is when the film spotlights the comic book version from the Silver Age of Comics and for Marvel, the beginning period of roughly 1963-1978. Nearly every movie of a Marvel character has been successful when showing concepts from this period. The first two Toby McGuire Spider-man films, for example, had concepts from that period. But every once in a while, the films spotlight concepts created later, in the '80's or '90's, and these films haven't been as enjoyable--at least to me and those like me. The third Spider-man movie, for example. And Daredevil (though it predates the birth of Marvel Studios).

The early Marvel comic books (and all comic books, actually) were meant to be fun. They cost 12 cents-25 cents and were aimed at pre-teen and teenage boys and young men (though lots of older people also enjoyed them; much like the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoons, entertaining on multiple levels). This was referred to at the time as "The Marvel Magic."

But later, comic books were aimed at those members of society who had larger disposable income, i.e., the 25-40 age group. During this time, "good guys" began killing bad guys, women were draw looking like Dolly Parton in spandex, etc.,--all to appeal to, well, the characters on The Big Bang Theory. Because they had the money. The prices rose to nearly $4-5 a comic book, beyond kids' ability to buy them anymore. But then, kids weren't the target audience anymore.

When that happened, comic books lost some of the just-for-fun innocence.

In my opinion, this happened with Iron Man 3 in that Black made a movie that was based on a concept called Extremis created by a writer named Warren Ellis in 2005-06: the base coating of the iron armor was now part of Tony Stark.

[Spoiler alert!]
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/170674 ... ooks.jhtml
Last edited by Brian on Sun May 05, 2013 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sat May 04, 2013 11:57 pm

[cont.]

I don't want to write anything that will ruin it for anybody planning to see the film. But to me, gone were such fun scenes such as (movie #2) Pepper in the sedan at the Monoco Grand Prix trying to get the attache case with the armor (actually, the case was the armor) to Stark as the Micky Rourke Whiplash character tried to slice them to ribbons. In IM 3, Stark simply wills the armor to come to him. Exciting. Suspenseful. And IMHO, Black marginalized the armor and the character throughout the film, turning the armor into little more than a gimmick while choosing instead to focus on Stark, but a Stark without any of the things that MADE him Tony Stark: his money, his house, his company, and...his armor.

And then Black takes away Iron Man's #1 villain in the comic books--one of the greatest villains of the genre! Marginalized and gone. [Can't say more on that.]

What's left is another Lethal Weapon movie. If you go, count the number of explosions, the number of times the armor crashes into the ground, and (ha!) how many people end up wearing it--!

There's even a token child character in the movie: smart, sassy, and...completely unnecessary, except to artificially manufacture a more "human side" of Tony Stark. Blahh!

All in all, one of the greatest comic book characters of all time dumbed down. And the Marvel Magic gone.

Just IMHO.
Brian

Postby Marlow » Sun May 05, 2013 7:02 am

Saw it last night after a long rainy day running the gPV at the Florida State HS Championships.

The first hour had many clunky, cheesy scenes; the little boy added little.

The second hour was mostly devoted to blowing up lots of stuff real good . . . didn't really engage us.

There were a few great lines, and some actual character development - the anxiety attacks were a nice touch, but mostly it was a movie where Robert Downey (Jr,) played it safe and repeated previous performances. Yes, I still enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as 1 and 2. Oh well, on to Star Trek, Superman, Thor et al!!

edit - I just read this on Boxofficemojo.com. Iron Man 3 has already made

Domestic: $175,300,000
+ Foreign: $504,800,000
= Worldwide: $680,100,000

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Marlow

Postby user4 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 am

Marlow and Brian above gave helpful reviews....

... very very few great lines otherwise fair appraisals, I would add that it was just an irredeemably terrible script that they tried to explode and 3D their way into a good movie. They came up short 15 dollars for me. Ben Kinsley was a great video villain :?
user4

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 05, 2013 12:50 pm

I can see how, if not why, IM3 did $680 mill last week.
Was inveigled (again) to attend local 24 screen theatre last night to see what must be the definitive "chick flick" (The Big Wedding).
IM 3 was showing in the four largest rooms all day long. Hundred of people were lined up along the walls behind special crown control lanes waiting for the next start time.
lonewolf

Postby Marlow » Sun May 05, 2013 2:42 pm

lonewolf wrote:Hundred of people were lined up along the walls behind special crown control lanes waiting for the next start time.

Yeah, that's so unfair that the Queen gets to go right in without waiting!!
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 05, 2013 6:00 pm

:oops: try crowd :oops: I was rushing to a Mighty X-Men soccer game.
lonewolf

Postby Brian » Sun May 05, 2013 10:36 pm

lonewolf wrote: Was inveigled (again) to attend local 24 screen theatre last night to see what must be the definitive "chick flick" (The Big Wedding).

Attendance by any Y chromosome makes the case for gratitude sex later if ever there was one.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun May 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Marlow wrote: Oh well, on to Star Trek, Superman, Thor et al!!

Remembering your previous comment about the first movie and Chris Hemsworth, I doubt your wife would let you skip Thor #2...!
:]
Brian