Barca clobbered again, end of an era?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Barca clobbered again, end of an era?

Postby Per Andersen » Wed May 01, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm starting to think so. Messi or no Messi. It's truly amazing how emphatically Bayern beat them and no goals for Barca in 2 games. Today they had no chance. Was not possible for them to play their usual patient game being 4 goals down. Guys like Inesta looking oridinary. Sometimes when Barca loses I think they look too small. I thought so when they lost the first game to AC Milan earlier. Messi was probably more injured then they let on. Had they got a quick goal or two, maybe they would have brought him on.
How about Robben's goal? Perfection.
Per Andersen

Re: Barca clobbered again, end of an era?

Postby Vielleicht » Fri May 03, 2013 5:31 am

Robben's goal in the 2nd leg was perfection. Before his 1st leg goal there was a big offensive foul strangely uncalled.

I think time has finally got Barça - they'll still be a scary force for another 2 or 3 years but now it seems no way they're going to maintain their dominance in the past 4 years.
Vielleicht

Postby Marlow » Fri May 03, 2013 5:55 am

Per Andersen wrote:Messi was probably more injured then they let on.

And yet he played in a meaningless league game this past week-end with the 'same injury'. Barca gots some splainin to do!
Marlow

Postby Vielleicht » Fri May 03, 2013 6:02 am

Marlow wrote:And yet he played in a meaningless league game this past week-end with the 'same injury'. Barca gots some splainin to do!

I think their game plan was to use him as a substitute to come on and run at Bayern if the run of play went Barça's way, unfortunately it never did.
Vielleicht

Postby marknhj » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am

It's still almost impossible to conceive that Barca could lose 0-7 over two legs to anyone, but it shows Pep is a very smart guy! Strange how cyclical the Champions League has become; first the English clubs dominate for a couple of seasons, then the Spanish, and now, apparently, the Germans.
marknhj

Postby KDFINE » Fri May 03, 2013 6:54 am

So who do you "like" in the final, Bayern or Borussa?
KDFINE

Postby Conor Dary » Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 am

The Bayern Juggernaut will undoubtedly win. It is amazing how they have stormed back after the rather shock lost to a 10 man Chelsea last year at home.

As Mark says, the power in Europe has shifted around lately, but Barca losing 0-7? I suppose the pressure of 3 major titles, 2 Euros and the WC, have been a bit much on the Spaniards.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Per Andersen » Fri May 03, 2013 4:22 pm

marknhj wrote:It's still almost impossible to conceive that Barca could lose 0-7 over two legs to anyone, but it shows Pep is a very smart guy! Strange how cyclical the Champions League has become; first the English clubs dominate for a couple of seasons, then the Spanish, and now, apparently, the Germans.

And now Pep is replacing Heynckes at Bayern. As James Lawton asks in The Independent : How can Pep improve on this team?
Per Andersen