forget best-movie lists....

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

forget best-movie lists....

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 8:26 am

..... how about the best TV series ever?

The best shows (2500 of them!) in the order of their IMDB ranking.

32 at 9.0 or better, topped by a 9.6 for Band Of Brothers

http://www.imdb.com/list/SXhwCPDSI_c/?s ... 2324481606

(lots of science)
gh

Re: forget best-movie lists....

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 8:36 am

They have Blackadder II up there, which is nice. But the original House of Cards has to be rated above the American version. Ian Richardson was brilliant.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 8:41 am

You might very well think that; but I couldn't possibly comment.
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed May 01, 2013 8:56 am

gh wrote:http://www.imdb.com/list/SXhwCPDSI_c/?start=1&view=detail&sort=user_rating:desc&defaults=1&scb=0.6343372324481606 (lots of science)

The best series EVER was The Avengers with Mr. Steed and Mrs. Peel.
# 2 Monty Python
#3 M*A*S*H

I Love Lucy wins the "Basis for every sit-com that ever existed" award.

SNL has changed the face of modern pop culture.

60 Minutes has done likewise.

All in the Family did it too, as did Will & Grace, in many ways.

The Daily Show has immeasurably raised the political satire bar (tho That Was the Week That Was did likewise).

Ed Sullivan, Gunsmoke . . . my mind reels in contemplating the shows that have forged my world-vision . . .

I guess I see why there's 2500 shows listed!
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 9:13 am

I loved The Avengers too, especially the lovely Diana Rigg, when I saw it in the 60's. But watching it lately it seems pretty dated and a bit silly.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Wed May 01, 2013 9:39 am

Conor Dary wrote:I loved The Avengers too, especially the lovely Diana Rigg, when I saw it in the 60's. But watching it lately it seems pretty dated and a bit silly.

That was its charm! It was very 'contemporary' and goofy.
Marlow

Postby Master Po » Wed May 01, 2013 10:23 am

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I loved The Avengers too, especially the lovely Diana Rigg, when I saw it in the 60's. But watching it lately it seems pretty dated and a bit silly.

That was its charm! It was very 'contemporary' and goofy.

The Avengers was already ended, and in rerun by the time I first saw it, so I guess it was already "past date." Haven't seen it in forever, but Diana Rigg was and still is, imo, a great beauty. She was the reason I watched the show. I can't even recall anything about any of its plots, other actors, or anything. It was basically the Diana Rigg show, for me. And, I just googled some images of her from that time, confirming I was right about that.
:)
Master Po

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 10:31 am

Rigg does just fine in a modern version: she's one of the latest additions to #4 on the IMBD list.

(at this point, though, much as I loved it backin the day The Avengers has about as much substance as The Man From UNCLE)
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed May 01, 2013 10:58 am

gh wrote:(at this point, though, much as I loved it backin the day The Avengers has about as much substance as The Man From UNCLE)

Which, of course, I also loved. Illya Kuryakin (the blonde Beatle Commie, whoda thunk?!), brilliant!
Robert Vaughn got to be a little Shatneresque at times, but the two of them spawned I Spy later, another great show.
Marlow

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm

meanwhile, back on topic.... the highest-rated "entertainment" show on the list that I've never seen is Arrested Development. I guess I should download an ep or three and see what I think.
gh

Postby mump boy » Wed May 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Any list without the West Wing can't be taken seriously :(
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Wed May 01, 2013 3:08 pm

gh wrote:You might very well think that; but I couldn't possibly comment.

AMAZING!!! :mrgreen:
Flumpy

Postby KDFINE » Wed May 01, 2013 4:26 pm

Dumb list concept. How can you compare a limited mini-series to a real long run show? Production values are very much limited in the latter, and their goals are not the same. Give credit where it is due when the producers realize that they are dealing with a limited show concept. Patrick McGoohan only wanted to make 12 episodes of "The Prisoner" because in that 12 he said what he wanted to say. The network wanted more so the number was 17. 'Fawlty Towers" was 12 episodes over two seasons. Any more might have resulted in a decline in quality. A show like "Barney Miller" however was able to go on for years. The top of the list appears to be weighted toward more recent shows. Its absurd that a show like "Vikings", all of six episodes, rates so high. I enjoy it, but let's see if it holds up for its run. I love the two seasons I've seen of "Sherlock," but really, two seasons of three shows each! "Homeland" seems to have already "jumped the shark." When my kids were kids I thought "Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood" was great. Who is voting anyway? That's my rant. Of course if I felt this way I didn't have to reply.
KDFINE

Postby gh » Wed May 01, 2013 5:01 pm

not a dumb concept at all. This is the definitive "movie" database with thousands of people voting on their ratings of things. So, while it's not done by experts, it does reflect how the populace as a whole feels, and sometimes ya just gotta live with what people who think differently than you feel.

And there was no attempt to compare shows against each other. This is from their ongoing ratings list, where people assign a value to a show. The "limited mini-series" vs "long run show" had nothing to do with it. It's the impression that the body of work made on the average shlub.

With that set of parameters in mind, it's a rather instructive list methinks.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 01, 2013 5:58 pm

I think it is interesting. And certainly a good starting point for a discussion. Considering the wide range I was surprised that the list was better than I thought it would be, or at least had quite a few of my favorites in the top 200.
Conor Dary

Postby jhc68 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 pm

It is interesting and good for conversation starters but the list is also a mess... science documentaries and mini-series lumped together with comedies and HBO dramas?
Sorta like ranking the best athletes from all sports (as other threads have attempted)... comparing Breaking Bad with The Beatles Anthology is like arguing the comparative merits of Bob Hayes and Olga Korbut. Fun but not very productive.
That being said, I agree that The Avengers was the best series ever. And has anyone noticed that Diana Rigg (Mrs. Peel) is now a major character on Game of Thrones?
jhc68

Postby jhc68 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Then, too, the bottom of the list is interesting: Toddlers and Tiaras dead last followed by Super Sweet 16, Paris Hilton and Honey Boo Boo... but on the same last page is Oprah and Jay Leno.
In my heart of hearts I still embrace the slogan in my old and now misplaced "Couch Potatoes Handbook": There is no such thing as bad TV...
jhc68

Postby gh » Thu May 02, 2013 6:14 am

jhc68 wrote:I... And has anyone noticed that Diana Rigg (Mrs. Peel) is now a major character on Game of Thrones?

see 8 posts up
gh

Postby bambam » Thu May 02, 2013 6:48 am

jhc68 wrote:like arguing the comparative merits of Bob Hayes and Olga Korbut. Fun but not very productive.

True, difficult comparison. But what about Hayes vs. Bolt on the balance beam??
bambam

Postby jhc68 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am

Hayes pigeon toed gait gives him a clear advantage over Bolt on the beam but Diana Rigg could defeat either man in hand to hand combat.
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Thu May 02, 2013 12:55 pm

Vox Populi! Yawn. Isn't that like People's Choice Awards?
jeremyp

Postby Conor Dary » Thu May 02, 2013 1:31 pm

Is there anyway to search for a title in that thing? I don't want to go through them all and I didn't find The Last Place on Earth in the first 300 or so.

A great series and a superb cast.
Conor Dary

Postby Marlow » Thu May 02, 2013 1:38 pm

jeremyp wrote:Vox Populi! Yawn. Isn't that like People's Choice Awards?

Elitist snobbery is over-rated! Power to the people!
Marlow

Postby mcgato » Thu May 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Is there anyway to search for a title in that thing?
Just go to its IMDB page and see what the average ranking is. That should make it easy to find out its ranking on the list.

And to be high on the list you need to have a few things going for you:
--A very dedicated fan base to rank the show very high
--Very few people to give it a bad rating

So the shows on premium cable channels are typically going to be watched by people interested in the show. Lots of high ratings for the good shows, and few poor ratings from people not interested in the show.
Science documentaries will probably have very few negative reviews, because any reasonably well done science doc will be pretty darn cool.
Some of the offbeat cult shows had a rabid fan base, but were not seen by a lot of people. I'm thinking Arrested Development and Firefly.
mcgato

Postby gh » Thu May 02, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey great watch to do the firefly serie. , if you buy the DVD you get two or three episodes that weren't on TV. And then watch the two hour movie
gh

Postby jeremyp » Fri May 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Marlow wrote:
jeremyp wrote:Vox Populi! Yawn. Isn't that like People's Choice Awards?

Elitist snobbery is over-rated! Power to the people!

Hey! I resemble that remark!
jeremyp

Postby dj » Tue May 07, 2013 8:45 am

Nearly 2500 titles and "Connections" doesn't make it ?!?!
dj

Postby Conor Dary » Tue May 07, 2013 9:14 am

dj wrote:Nearly 2500 titles and "Connections" doesn't make it ?!?!

Too erudite. Yes, that was a great show. And I had forgotten about it, as I am sure practically everyone else did.

I suspect, as with The Last Place on Earth it didn't get a big rerun and thus faded from memory.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 am

dj wrote:Nearly 2500 titles and "Connections" doesn't make it ?!?!

And the sequel The Day The Universe Changed, was in the same class
gh

Postby gh » Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 am

as to the absence of Connections and Last Place, I'm guessing it's a function of the parsing tool that the compiler used not catching everything that was TV, because if you look at the whole list, it's 2500 deep, going down to things rated 1.8.

at the bottom of the page you can export the file and open it as Excel. From that we can determine that Connections and Last Place, both of which are 7.6s, are behind 900 other shows (plus any other that got missed).
gh

Postby kuha » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

For my taste, one of the best "mainstream" shows of the 1960s was "I, Spy."
kuha

Postby gh » Wed May 08, 2013 5:41 am

Have you seen one lately? I've not, and would be interested in seeing how it stands up. The Beauteous Babs is fond of telling me not to do old TV series because they're generally laughable when viewed through a modern lens. Unfortunately more often than not, she has been right. It's stunning how horrid some of the all-time greats now seem.

I do find it interesting that to me at least the '50s shows, in general, seem to hold up far better than the '60s ones do. Before style took over substance?
gh

Postby kuha » Wed May 08, 2013 6:03 am

I haven't seen one in the last couple years, but absolutely recall seeing reruns 10 or 20 years ago. I thought the show held up really well--surprisingly so--with a basic premise (and relationship) that looked amazingly good in hindsight.
kuha

Postby gh » Wed May 08, 2013 6:26 am

one of the worst Xmas presents ever was "The Complete Miami Vice"; the music, use of color and rock-star guest appearances still have brief appeal, but the acting is drop-dead bad pretty much across the board. The standard vehicle for displaying emotion is simply to yell.

I've always liked the minimalist style that Edward James Olmos can bring to a production (think Adama in Galactica), but in this one he's so wooden he has to be careful somebody doesn't mistake him for a log and throw him on a fire.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 08, 2013 7:09 am

gh wrote:Have you seen one lately? I've not, and would be interested in seeing how it stands up. The Beauteous Babs is fond of telling me not to do old TV series because they're generally laughable when viewed through a modern lens. Unfortunately more often than not, she has been right. It's stunning how horrid some of the all-time greats now seem.

I do find it interesting that to me at least the '50s shows, in general, seem to hold up far better than the '60s ones do. Before style took over substance?

Netflix has I, Spy and watching it again, it definitely seemed dated. I really liked the show when it first appeared but I watched a few episodes and that was enough. Where Culp is really good is in 3 episodes of Columbo, as a devious murderer.

As for 50's vs. 60's I think it is b&w shows that do better. Twilight Zone, M Squad, with a marvelous Lee Marvin, are among my favorites.
Conor Dary

Postby jeremyp » Wed May 08, 2013 7:19 am

All I need to do to recall, and forget my 60's/70's days is to see a picture of myself in flared polyester trousers, owl glasses, and sideburns. I did like my brown hair though.....sigh. :cry:
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Wed May 08, 2013 7:47 am

jeremyp wrote:All I need to do to recall, and forget my 60's/70's days is to see a picture of myself in flared polyester trousers, owl glasses, and sideburns. I did like my brown hair though.....sigh. :cry:

I have one picture of me as a 1969 hippie at Stanford, before I had to cut my hair and get inducted into the ROTC unit. It's a source of unceasing hilarity to my kids and now grandkids. The de rigueur chambray blue work-shirt and the bell-bottom jeans with the fancy fringe on the bottom are too much to bear. :oops:
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Wed May 08, 2013 8:50 am

My youngest daughter, born 1967, has loved old b&W movies and the stars from 1930s-40s since she was a teenager. I don't remember being critical of them when they were new but now when I humor her by watching one with her, I am struck with how bad the acting and lines are... of course, that is also true of most current movies/films. :?
lonewolf

Postby norunner » Wed May 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Did they ever rediscover season 1 of The Avengers? I bought a complete boxset many years ago only to discover that season 1 was missing and later learned that the original reels were destroyed.
norunner