Footnote Athletes

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Footnote Athletes

Postby jhc68 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:50 pm

Back to the original post, in my view Joe Don Looney epitomizes the footnote athlete... someone with unique talents who under or over achieve for some reason or another and whose life takes unexpected turns.
I'd add a couple more for consideration:
Colin Ridgeway and Terry Albritton - both dynamic, multi-talented athletes who came to untimely, bizarre ends.
jhc68

Postby bambam » Sat May 04, 2013 4:13 am

jhc68 wrote:Back to the original post, in my view Joe Don Looney epitomizes the footnote athlete... someone with unique talents who under or over achieve for some reason or another and whose life takes unexpected turns.
I'd add a couple more for consideration:
Colin Ridgeway and Terry Albritton - both dynamic, multi-talented athletes who came to untimely, bizarre ends.

Agree with jhc68 on JDL - don't agree with Albritton or Ridgeway. I was thinking of people whose talents were so great that they would have been considered at the very top of the sport except for ... something. OK, maybe Albritton, but not Ridgeway
bambam

Postby TN1965 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:03 pm

How about Al Parker?

He won a record 25 USTA junior titles against Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Chang, Martin, Washington and Wheaton among others. Then he hurt his back in his freshman year at college, and was never the same player after that.
TN1965

Postby bambam » Sat May 04, 2013 4:58 pm

TN1965 wrote:How about Al Parker?

He won a record 25 USTA junior titles against Sampras, Agassi, Courier, Chang, Martin, Washington and Wheaton among others. Then he hurt his back in his freshman year at college, and was never the same player after that.

Could be - must admit I had never heard of him
bambam

Previous