Camel Jumping

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Camel Jumping

Postby lonewolf » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 pm

I had never heard of camel jumping. Ya gotta see it to believe it.

Just watched a documentary of a British woman caravaning frankensense from Yemen to Gaza.
Interesting trek but the real highlight is around 40 minutes when they had a camel jumping contest in the middle of a sandy desert.
Six teenage boys competed. starting with two saddled camels side by side. The boys are allowed only one attempt. They run directly at the camels thru deep sand, tuck their feet under them and must clear the cames cleanly to advance. For those who clear, a camel is added.
The woman narrator stood by the camels, said she was 5'9" and estimated the height of the camels to be at least 2 meters(6' 6.75"). I agree.

Two boys cleared four camels. The winner, 16 year old Mohammed, who appeared to be about 5'6", cleared five camels cleanly, landing on his feet. On his three camel jump, his feet appeared to be 6 to 8 inches above the saddle.

Kinda long but worth a watch.

http:www.youtube.com/watch?vKHc9bKzaw-s
lonewolf

Re: Camel Jumping

Postby gh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:00 am

nonfunctioning link (and I don't believe a word of it)
gh

Postby batonless relay » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 am

batonless relay

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:36 am

This link works for me.
As I said, ya gotta see it to believe... and I believe the video is real and undoctored..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHc9bKzaw-s

The link batonlessrelay found is not the cited link.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:39 am

I see the problem. I omitted an = in the original link. :oops:
Try the second link..
lonewolf

Postby batonless relay » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:52 am

not sure if you noticed but they're jumping off of a ramp or platform...
batonless relay

Postby gh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:55 am

so they're not running through deep sand, and they're also jumping off a ramp, which not only reduces the actual height, but also adds leverage to the whole thing. In other words, this is nothing to write home about (other than it's, well, different).
gh

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:10 am

gh wrote:so they're not running through deep sand, and they're also jumping off a ramp, which not only reduces the actual height, but also adds leverage to the whole thing. In other words, this is nothing to write home about (other than it's, well, different).

Indeed. We routinely high jump off the Gill rounded ramp. My boy 2 years ago (6'9 PR) made 7'5, never tried higher.
Marlow

Postby kuha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 am

gh wrote:so they're not running through deep sand, and they're also jumping off a ramp, which not only reduces the actual height, but also adds leverage to the whole thing. In other words, this is nothing to write home about (other than it's, well, different).

Yup. It is "different" but that seems to be about it. (Let's see llama jumping!) The idea that anyone could jump any distance at all off of "deep sand" is pretty funny.
kuha

Postby lonewolf » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:49 pm

I went back and reviewed the jumps several times.. did not spot a ramp from any angle..

I will concede it is not "deep" deep sand but it ain't exactly a compacted/synthetic runway either.

As someone who thought it was an accomplishment as a kid to jump over the occasional unsuspecting cow, it impressed me. :)
lonewolf

Postby Tuariki » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 pm

It appears to me that there is something not right as the jumper appears to accelerate after he has already left the ground and his trajectory also appears to change upwards. Also if the woman doing the documentary is 5'9" as she claims then these guys are about 5'2". Just don't believe it.
Tuariki

Postby Blues » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm

The video is filmed from a vantage point where the ramp isn't visible. When you watch the jumpers gradually increase in elevation immediately prior to jumping though, it's pretty clear that they're running up a ramp just before jumping...
Blues

Postby batonless relay » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:46 am

at the 39:04 mark of the link lonewolf provided, while the narrator is congratulating Mohamed for a good jump, you can see the ramp as Mohamed is walking by.
batonless relay