Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion

Postby donley2 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:57 pm

More chaos.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/texas- ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Stopped in this town just last week, famous for their kolaches

http://www.wfaa.com/news/texas-news/pow ... 08001.html
donley2

Re: Texas Fertilizer Plant Explosion

Postby donley2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:01 am

Estimated to be between 5 and 15 fatalities. Mostly first responders.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2 ... -than-100/
donley2

Postby jeremyp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:02 am

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/arc ... ng/275094/

Scary video! Do not build fertilizer plants anywhere near civilization.
jeremyp

Postby Daisy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 am

jeremyp wrote:Scary video!

From that explosion it's no wonder it was mostly first responders who got killed. Horrific.
Daisy

Postby gh » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:36 am

I spent a summer working in a monstrous fertilizer plant. Never stopped to think about it at the time, because you tend to think only of the end product (nice little granules you sprinkle on your lawn), but when you get right down to it, it's just the world's biggest chemistry set with all kinds of nasty surprises waiting to happen.

There were some amazingly ugly jobs to be performed in there.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:00 am

The Oklahoma City bombing was a fertilizer bomb and that was only in a truck and that was pretty horrific.

I am sort of surprised they would think it just might blow up, and let the fire burn. Or is something else going on?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby DrJay » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:40 am

jeremyp wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/04/this-video-of-the-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-is-utterly-terrifying/275094/

A Dallas friend of mine on FB basically said what a nimrod for the guy putting his kids in harms way but then, who woulda thought it? What a massive explosion.
DrJay

Postby donley2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:55 am

DrJay wrote:
jeremyp wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/04/this-video-of-the-texas-fertilizer-plant-explosion-is-utterly-terrifying/275094/

A Dallas friend of mine on FB basically said what a nimrod for the guy putting his kids in harms way but then, who woulda thought it? What a massive explosion.

I think that plant had been there for 55 years. If you spend your entire life in a place and there is never an issue, your mind tends to downplay things.
donley2

Postby jeremyp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 am

donley2 wrote:
DrJay wrote:

I think that plant had been there for 55 years. If you spend your entire life in a place and there is never an issue, your mind tends to downplay things.

Still: Fertilizer and Fire! Hello!
jeremyp

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Now they are saying 40 killed. But as we noticed with the bogus CNN, AP, Boston stories yesterday, who knows.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... d-in-texas
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby donley2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Now they are saying 40 killed. But as we noticed with the bogus CNN, AP, Boston stories yesterday, who knows.

Hard to tell. When I went to bed a bit after 11:00 last night the guess was 60 to 70 killed. After seeing the footage that certainly did seem possible.
donley2

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:24 pm

donley2 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Now they are saying 40 killed. But as we noticed with the bogus CNN, AP, Boston stories yesterday, who knows.

Hard to tell. When I went to bed a bit after 11:00 last night the guess was 60 to 70 killed. After seeing the footage that certainly did seem possible.

First thing this morning they had dropped the estimates to 5 to 15 so they've been all over the place with this one.
Dutra5

Postby donley2 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Hopefully it is actually closer to the 15 than 40.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-ne ... arched.ece
donley2

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 pm

They must have done a good job of clearing those close in (e.g., the apartments and were clearing the nursing home; the school was empty). I think the apartments took the brunt of the blast and protected the nursing home. I thought 50+ would be not unexpected. But, remember in the Twin Towers, it was not too many minutes before the first and second impacts, and the second one was lower and that tower went down first. However, most of (almost all?) of the fatalities were in those from the impact floor (-1 or 2) on up to the roof in Tower 1 and the emergency personnel.

They got an incredible number of people out of that building and the person responsible 'went down with the ship.' When the truck bomb damaged one of the Towers in 93 (95?) it took four hours to evacuate the buildings and there was not nearly the damage and only one tower. The new guy took over after that and implemented all sorts of building improvements (hard to stop a jetliner) and honed the ability to evacuate the building. I think many thousands owe their lives to him. He knew exactly what was going to happen with the building, just not exactly when. He stayed because he felt he could help the emergency personnel and stragglers etc.

My wife was on a team that work with him some developing a major proposal on building security that they submitted to the NSF. That proposal was denied in August 2001.
26mi235

Postby gh » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:56 pm

I just realized: not only did I work in a fertilizer plant, the whole thing sits less than a mile from the track where I spent what seemed like half my life, and where my high school still has its meets. We didn't worry about explosions much; just random waves of noxious gasses that could make you feel like crap (pollution control then isn't what it was now).
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:26 am

Texas fertilizer company didn't heed disclosure rules before blast

The fertilizer plant that exploded on Wednesday, obliterating part of a small Texas town and killing at least 14 people, had last year been storing 1,350 times the amount of ammonium nitrate that would normally trigger safety oversight by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/ ... 9N20130420
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:00 am

ammonium nitrate at the company where I worked (a comment on a chat room)

<<Yes – I remember Cominco giving away those bags of fertilizer. And, it did worked wonders as a de-icer, especially the 45-0-0 (ammonium nitrate). It was safe for vegetation and didn’t damage the sidewalks the way salt would.
Now, we would probably get a visit from the RCMP if we tried to buy that much ammonium nitrate without a license.>>
gh

Postby donley2 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:12 am

donley2 wrote:Hopefully it is actually closer to the 15 than 40.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/local-ne ... arched.ece

Thankfully looks like the lower number is the closer one.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/04/19 ... rying.html

I don't know why, but I am actually impressed that this does not happen very often at all. No idea if this article is accurate but here is a list of major industrial type accidents in the US. Several of these are many many decades ago and some directly related to military situations.

http://open.salon.com/blog/jrobertg/200 ... _accidents
donley2

Postby Conor Dary » Fri May 10, 2013 7:36 am

The case takes an interesting turn....

A West, Texas, paramedic was arrested Friday morning and charged with possession of a destructive device, according to The Dallas Morning News.

Bryce Reed, 31, was arrested around 2 a.m. on Friday. Authorities have not said whether the arrest is related to the April 17 explosion in West that killed 15 people and injured around 200 others.

According to News 92 FM in Houston, Reed was among the first people on the scene of the fire and explosion in West last month. In the aftermath of the explosion, Reed spoke to several media outlets about his experience on the scene of the tragedy.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... ?ref=fpblg
Conor Dary

Postby Dutra5 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:09 am

As someone with a bit of experience with some arson cases, it would not be unusual at all for the perpetrator of the crime to act, in part, as a hero/first responder to the deed.
Dutra5

Postby marknhj » Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 pm

Dutra5 wrote:As someone with a bit of experience with some arson cases, it would not be unusual at all for the perpetrator of the crime to act, in part, as a hero/first responder to the deed.

Such as the Glendale Fire Chief and lead arson investigator (Glendale is a suburb of LA). Started hundred of fires and caused 4 deaths in the 1980's and 1990's. Got LWOP plus 20 years for good measure.
marknhj

Postby Dutra5 » Fri May 10, 2013 2:37 pm

marknhj wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:As someone with a bit of experience with some arson cases, it would not be unusual at all for the perpetrator of the crime to act, in part, as a hero/first responder to the deed.

Such as the Glendale Fire Chief and lead arson investigator (Glendale is a suburb of LA). Started hundred of fires and caused 4 deaths in the 1980's and 1990's. Got LWOP plus 20 years for good measure.

:shock: Wow. Hadn't heard about that one.

Kid around here started a fire in an abandoned building in between two occupied homes a few years ago, placed the 911 call and woke up those in the two surrounding homes.

Fortunately there was no damage or injury except for the abandoned home which is now an abandoned lot.
Dutra5

Postby Conor Dary » Fri May 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
marknhj wrote:

:shock: Wow. Hadn't heard about that one.

Kid around here started a fire in an abandoned building in between two occupied homes a few years ago, placed the 911 call and woke up those in the two surrounding homes.

Fortunately there was no damage or injury except for the abandoned home which is now an abandoned lot.

I think they even made a movie about it with Ray Liotta as the arsonist. Pretty creepy.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Sun May 12, 2013 5:58 am

Has there ever been a Ray Liotta movie that wasn't creepy?
gh

Postby lonewolf » Sun May 12, 2013 2:33 pm

gh wrote:Has there ever been a Ray Liotta movie that wasn't creepy?

I was wondering exactly that when I saw a Ray Liotta trailer for something last night.
lonewolf

Postby KDFINE » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Non-creepy, "Operation Dumbo Drop."
"Goodfellows" was a lot of things but I wouldn't call it creepy.
KDFINE

Postby Dutra5 » Sun May 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Ray Liotta also played Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams.
Dutra5

Postby Conor Dary » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Dutra5 wrote:Ray Liotta also played Shoeless Joe Jackson in Field of Dreams.

The creepiest of all!
Conor Dary

Postby Dutra5 » Mon May 13, 2013 4:09 pm

Conor Dary wrote:

The creepiest of all!

So Liotta played him as a righthanded hitter who threw lefty rather than a lefty hitter who threw righty. Is that really all that creepy or was it a bunch of guys disappearing into the corn fields that creeped you out?
Dutra5

Postby Conor Dary » Mon May 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:

The creepiest of all!

So Liotta played him as a righthanded hitter who threw lefty rather than a lefty hitter who threw righty. Is that really all that creepy or was it a bunch of guys disappearing into the corn fields that creeped you out?

It was the coming and going out of the corn that was weird. Reminded me more of a Stephen King novel.
Conor Dary