the Boston bombers thread

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Explosions at Boston finish

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:17 am

jeremyp wrote:The fact that it was Patriot's day and that Oklahoma City and Waco were on Patriot's day might mean a home grown terrorist attack. Might!

The nonsensicality of it is what the bomber thinks he's gaining in the attack. All it did was resteel the resolve to fight this kind of cowardice.
Marlow

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

jeremyp wrote:The fact that it was Patriot's day and that Oklahoma City and Waco were on Patriot's day might mean a home grown terrorist attack. Might!

You could just as easily suggest that a foreign terrorist would target the middle of the pack which is largely American as opposed to the top finishers which were largely not American. I suggest letting the investigators do their work and see what they find. And pray for the victims and their families.
Halfmiler2

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 am

"...The nonsensicality of it is what the bomber thinks he's gaining in the attack. All it did was resteel the resolve to fight this kind of cowardice..."

The bomber thinks he just struck fear & apprehension in the hearts of Bostonians, U.S. residents in general, big city marathoners and their promoters/sponsors/hosts, and gave law enforcement and intel bureaus something about which to think. Maybe even TSA authorities.

His incident dominates U.S. news today.
bijanc

Postby Pego » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 am

A tax day, too. I am betting on one of the anti-government fanatics.
Pego

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:43 am

So many Yanks and domestic groups detest abortion, gun control, some fed judge or D.A. who locked them or their brethren up, or just our sense of security. Rather than express this displeasure @ the ballot box, some resort to exploding devices around toddlers and eight-year-olds.
bijanc

Postby Marlow » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am

bijanc wrote:The bomber thinks he just struck fear & apprehension in the hearts of Bostonians, U.S. residents in general, big city marathoners and their promoters/sponsors/hosts, and gave law enforcement and intel bureaus something about which to think. Maybe even TSA authorities. His incident dominates U.S. news today.

Homeland Security is essentially on Orange Alert 24/7 since 9/11. There will certainly be 'heightened vigilance' for a few days and then we'll settle back into our normal readiness(it isn't paranoia if they're really after you and they really are), which has been and shall continue to be very effective (this incident and ones like it in the past and future notwithstanding). I grew up ducking under my school desk for A-Bomb alarms and drills. This is just the natural (sic) evolution of the existential dread we must all endure in 'modern times'. Saying the 'Serenity Prayer' is all you can really do.
Marlow

Postby DrJay » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:54 am

So the eight year-old's story emerges. Was waiting for his Daddy to finish the marathon. As a father, that breaks my heart.
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:23 am

DrJay wrote:So the eight year-old's story emerges. Was waiting for his Daddy to finish the marathon. As a father, that breaks my heart.

What can you say? Numbs you all over...
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby user4 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am

Even for those that are not fathers it is devastating.
user4

Postby jeremyp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:40 am

Halfmiler2 wrote:

You could just as easily suggest that a foreign terrorist would target the middle of the pack which is largely American as opposed to the top finishers which were largely not American. I suggest letting the investigators do their work and see what they find. And pray for the victims and their families.

Which is why I used the word: Might! 2x.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:48 am

Now they are saying they were pressure cooker bombs similar to those used in Afghanistan and Pakistan and, most ominously, in the failed Times Square bombs, which was made by a Pakistani.
jeremyp

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:35 am

I heard on the radio that the photo of Bill Iffrig on the ground in front of the police is going to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated.
polevaultpower

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am

I just talked to the woman in my office who ran yesterday. She said she was told by multiple people that she must have finished about 7-8 minutes before the bombs but thought it longer but was too disoriented to really determine when it was. She was about 300m past the finish line when they went off, at which point she moved further to the finishing area and went to her hotel.

Here is the data from her race. You can see that she finished at 2:23:33 with an official (chip) time of 4:01:57 and a gross time of 4:03:33. Thus her start time was at 10:00 (and it took 96 seconds to cross the start). The bomb has repeatedly been stated as having gone off at 2:45 or 2:50. The cover of Sports Illustrated (at least shown on CNN) has Bill Iffig (age 79) on the ground right by the finish with type put on the picture that says 4:15:13 2:50pm , so his wave went off at about 10:25. The clock time is for a wave that went off at 10:40, I think, and does not tell you where people were.

This means that the clock people are seeing is not a scratch time started at 10:00am. They had several (two) clocks going at a time, e.g., Wave 2 and Wave 3:

5K 10:47:20AM 0:25:45
10K 11:13:10AM 0:51:35
15K 11:39:11AM 1:17:35
20K 12:06:09PM 1:44:33
HALF 12:12:01PM 1:50:25
25K 12:33:52PM 2:12:17
30K 01:04:51PM 2:43:15
35K 01:37:49PM 3:16:14
40K 02:10:21PM 3:48:45
Finish Net 02:23:33PM 4:01:57

place (total) 16361
time total (net) 4:01:57
time total (gun) 4:03:33

from above
26mi235 wrote:I gave the particulars on my friend/colleague above which was based on clock-times linked to her race times. For her, 4:01:57, the clock times was 2:23 or so, 20+ minutes before the blast. However, she had a 3:2x seed time and might have had less of a wait reflected in the chip time.

As for the runners, I got a time stamp for her at 42,130m (65 meters from the end). Thus, they should have timing on the runners until close to the end, even if they did not get anything official over there. Just linking some runners to the right finishing time (clock, should allow them to deconstruct the pieces and put them back together again.
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:02 pm

polevaultpower wrote:I heard on the radio that the photo of Bill Iffrig on the ground in front of the police is going to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Yes. Probably the first time since the 70's that Boston was on the cover.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby user4 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:17 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:I heard on the radio that the photo of Bill Iffrig on the ground in front of the police is going to be on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Bill Rodgers, greatest marathoner ever. :)
user4

Postby Blues » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
DrJay wrote:So the eight year-old's story emerges. Was waiting for his Daddy to finish the marathon. As a father, that breaks my heart.

What can you say? Numbs you all over...

The story is tragic regardless of the details, but according to the story in the link below, the boy's father, although a runner, didn't run the marathon but was there with his family to watch friends who ran the marathon... The little boy's mother also suffered a brain injury from the explosion, and his 6 year old sister reportedly lost a leg.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04 ... lasts?lite
Blues

Postby bijanc » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Frank Shorter on CNN after 4:52 commercial break.

Greater Cincinnati: 134 participants in Boston:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2013 ... ieved-hurt

Martha's Vineyard, two marathoners safe:

http://www.mvtimes.com/2013/04/15/islan ... ury-15166/
bijanc

Postby dj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:36 pm

Conor Dary wrote:

2007, Deena Kastor
dj

Postby bambam » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:00 pm

Could not figure out this summer in London why I could never find a trash can on the street to throw a Coke bottle or lunch bag. Had to do it at the media center or back at my hotel. Now I understand. London had already removed trash cans after previous terror attacks. Never even dawned on me that this was the reason, which kinda ticked me off at the time, but now I know why.
bambam

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:06 pm

bambam wrote:Could not figure out this summer in London why I could never find a trash can on the street to throw a Coke bottle or lunch bag. Had to do it at the media center or back at my hotel. Now I understand. London had already removed trash cans after previous terror attacks. Never even dawned on me that this was the reason, which kinda ticked me off at the time, but now I know why.

When I lived in England in the 90's one of my pet peeves was the complete lack of garbage bins anywhere in London and any train station in the country. I knew why and another reason to despise the IRA and their various offshoots.

When visitors came over they were equally puzzled and annoyed, until I explained why.

PS. Another wonderful IRA gift was being on the Underground and finding out your station was out because of a terrorist threat.
Conor Dary

Postby marknhj » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:24 pm

bambam wrote:Could not figure out this summer in London why I could never find a trash can on the street to throw a Coke bottle or lunch bag. Had to do it at the media center or back at my hotel. Now I understand. London had already removed trash cans after previous terror attacks. Never even dawned on me that this was the reason, which kinda ticked me off at the time, but now I know why.

I had the same annoyed feeling while walking from Victoria to Buckingham Palace to watch the women's marathon. Umbrella in one hand, Starbucks trash in the other, soaking wet and thinking less than charitable thoughts about my fellow countrymen. It took me about an hour to remember why there were no rubbish bins in London.
marknhj

Postby polevaultpower » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:46 pm

We had our local USATF Association meeting last night, and our MUT chair told us about their recent race. They gave each participant some kind of foldable, reusable cup. At each aid station, there were no paper cups. You could use your water bottle or the cup they had provided each runner (this was all made clear in advance). At the end of the race I think people had to bring their own utensils and bowls for the food, or something like that. The race had over 600 entrants and at the end of the day they only had 4 bags of garbage.

Perhaps the events at Boston will inspire more races to be more green.
polevaultpower

Postby Tuariki » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:12 pm

user4 wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:

Bill Rodgers, greatest marathoner ever. :)

Not even close to Abebe Bikila.
And IMO Shorter is the best USA marathoner
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:18 pm

When Clinton came to NZ in 1999 all trash cans and letter boxes along his route were removed. All man hole covers were welded shut. Sadly, with yesterday's tragic events this may be a portent of security measures to come.
Tuariki

Re: Explosion at Boston finish?

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:47 am

BillVol wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:This was Club Northwest runner, Bill Iffrig,78-years-old. You can see him at the bottom of this picture: https://twitter.com/BGlobeSports/status ... 81/photo/1

Reports are that he suffered only a scraped knee and is OK.

78 years old and runs a 4 hr marathon. Wow.

If you're 78 and you run a 4-hour marathon, you're a bad m*****f*****. The scary thing is that he's almost an hour off the age-group world record, which is held by Ed Whitlock, who was actually 80 when he ran 3:15:54. :shock:
jazzcyclist

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:56 am

polevaultpower wrote:We had our local USATF Association meeting last night, and our MUT chair told us about their recent race. They gave each participant some kind of foldable, reusable cup. At each aid station, there were no paper cups. You could use your water bottle or the cup they had provided each runner (this was all made clear in advance). At the end of the race I think people had to bring their own utensils and bowls for the food, or something like that. The race had over 600 entrants and at the end of the day they only had 4 bags of garbage.

Perhaps the events at Boston will inspire more races to be more green.

I don't see the connection at all.
Conor Dary

Re: Explosion at Boston finish?

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:18 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
BillVol wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:This was Club Northwest runner, Bill Iffrig,78-years-old. You can see him at the bottom of this picture: https://twitter.com/BGlobeSports/status ... 81/photo/1

Reports are that he suffered only a scraped knee and is OK.

78 years old and runs a 4 hr marathon. Wow.

If you're 78 and you run a 4-hour marathon, you're a bad m*****f*****. The scary thing is that he's almost an hour off the age-group world record, which is held by Ed Whitlock, who was actually 80 when he ran 3:15:54. :shock:

Whitlock also ran about 2:54(56?) and 37:18 10K at age 73 or 74. 6:35 and 6:00/mile pace at age 74 boggles the mind (not that 7:27 pace for a marathon at 80 isn't equally notable].
26mi235

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:24 am

Yes, it is amazing. The guy is something.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am

They may have some pictures of the guy.

A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings has been identified by authorities after analyzing video footage, CNN's John King reported on air Wednesday.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/e ... identified
Conor Dary

Postby bambam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:31 am

Must see this -

http://www.boston.com/news/source/2013/ ... hen_c.html

As a Boston-native, its all so true.

I will be in Boston next Patriots Day to bring home the runners - my sister and I have vowed to both go up there together next April. We'll be damned if we let those bastards think they can stop Bostonians.
bambam

Postby bambam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:33 am

Tuariki wrote:Not even close to Abebe Bikila.
And IMO Shorter is the best USA marathoner

Agree
Agree
But there was something about Boston Billy

Growing up in Framingham, I well remember in 1963 going downtown to watch the runners go thru on Patriots Day and the two leaders were Bikila and Mamo Wolde - they didn't win - that went to Aurele Vandendriessche of Belgium. I think Bikila finished 4th
bambam

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:54 am

Wow, looks like they found the guy.

A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation says a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings is about to be arrested.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/ap-so ... hp?ref=fpa
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:13 am

Apparently they have arrested someone.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/324583755350147072

That didn't take long.
Conor Dary

Postby aaronk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 am

Conor Dary wrote:Apparently they have arrested someone.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/324583755350147072

That didn't take long.

It's said a Lord & Taylor's store camera I'D'd him.
But in this day and age of 1000's of people having cellphone cameras and the like...it's becoming almost impossible for a criminal to escape detection......especially when it's broad daylight, and there's 1000's of people around!!

Proves how utterly stupid.....not to mention insane and evil!!....would-be criminals are nowadays!!
aaronk

Postby gh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:19 am

gh

Re: Explosions at Boston finish [arrest made?]

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:43 am

Not much new info other than this brief blurb:
BOSTON (AP) — A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was taken into custody Wednesday.... The suspect was expected at a Boston courthouse under heavy security, the official said.

A news briefing was scheduled later Wednesday.
26mi235

Postby batonless relay » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am

even CNN is hedging. Different sources are saying different things and NBC and CBS says no suspect is in custody.
batonless relay

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 am

Don't be too hasy to jump to conclusions that "they got him".... remember in " Jaws" when they had the wrong shark.
dukehjsteve

Postby bambam » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:50 am

aaronk wrote:It's said a Lord & Taylor's store camera I'D'd him.
But in this day and age of 1000's of people having cellphone cameras and the like...it's becoming almost impossible for a criminal to escape detection......especially when it's broad daylight, and there's 1000's of people around!!

Proves how utterly stupid.....not to mention insane and evil!!....would-be criminals are nowadays!!

As has been said, you can't cure stupid. Fortunately, most of these guys have the IQ of an ashtray.
bambam

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 am

CNN now

(CNN) -- [Breaking news update at 2:44 p.m. Wednesday]

Investigators in Washington and Boston denied Wednesday that an arrest had been made in the bombing of the Boston Marathon. They had earlier said there was "substantial" progress in the case.

[Breaking news update at 2:36 p.m. Wednesday]

There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings. A federal law enforcement source told CNN's Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.
26mi235

PreviousNext