the Boston bombers thread


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Friar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:44 am

" did not understand them "
--------------------------------
His wife comes from a beach community in RI. If he dropped by Scarborough on a summer day he would understand.

I think this is a no good deed goes unpunished type of thing. He's allowed to come here, probably treated well, attends a top public HS, maybe gets some college financial aid (the living kid supposedly isn't paying to attend UM/D) accepted by in-laws (why?)

It all just builds resentment in a certain type of personality that thinks his way is the only way but the western world is rockin to something else.
Friar
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the Bay.

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby kuha » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Pego wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Lie detector tests do not have 100% accuracy, but they have a lot higher accuracy than 0%.


Yes, more than 0%, but not nearly enough to be reliable.


At a theoretical 50% accuracy, it's a complete waste of time--no better than flipping a coin. And even at 95% accuracy (which ain't the case), there's more than enough doubt to make the whole exercise useless.
kuha
 
Posts: 9036
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:12 pm

kuha wrote:
Pego wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Lie detector tests do not have 100% accuracy, but they have a lot higher accuracy than 0%.


Yes, more than 0%, but not nearly enough to be reliable.


At a theoretical 50% accuracy, it's a complete waste of time--no better than flipping a coin. And even at 95% accuracy (which ain't the case), there's more than enough doubt to make the whole exercise useless.


Worse than that, it is reliable enough, or rather appears to be, to think it is infallible which it certainly is not.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Explosions at Boston finish [suspects on video?]

Postby Tuariki » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:52 pm

eldanielfire wrote:If you think some muslims, especially Chechyan in the separatist camp, don't hate Russia you really have little knowledge of the matter. However Russia has a unique position that some muslim groups hate or fera each other and Russia is basically the biggest stabilising force in parts of the middle east. Hence why the USA, Uk and France shouldn't have overridden them on Syria which is increasingly getting fucked up.

That is not what I said. I am well aware that many Chechnyan's, especially those who are Muslim separatists, hate Russia. However, I also believe that all radical Muslim separatists from all over the world,including those of Chechnya believe the USA to be the great Satan, over and above their hatred for other countries such as Russia.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Explosions at Boston finish [suspects on video?]

Postby Tuariki » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:17 pm

Pego wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:Also lie detectors are bollocks. Marion Jones defeated it with no problems.

Logical fallicy: because there is one counter example, all cases will 'fail' [It is cold in Madison in the winter -- It was 68 degrees on February 13, 1992, so Madison is not cold in the winter.]

I am not going to argue principles of logic :wink: , but eldanielfire is correct in his position that a polygraph as a reliable interrogation tool has been thoroughly discredited.


Conor Dary wrote:
kuha wrote:
Pego wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Lie detector tests do not have 100% accuracy, but they have a lot higher accuracy than 0%.

Yes, more than 0%, but not nearly enough to be reliable.

At a theoretical 50% accuracy, it's a complete waste of time--no better than flipping a coin. And even at 95% accuracy (which ain't the case), there's more than enough doubt to make the whole exercise useless.

Worse than that, it is reliable enough, or rather appears to be, to think it is infallible which it certainly is not.

I believe lie detector tests would be a useful tool to assist an immigration officer to decide on the balance of probabilities whether or not to grant someone residence status in NZ. I have very little faith in the ability of NZ immigration officers to be able to determine through a face to face interview if a person is a potential risk to NZ. I fully realise and acknowledge that lie detector tests are not 100% accurate. However, I am not talking about deciding a person's guilt in a criminal case. All sovereign countries have the right to decide who can enter the country. A lie detector test wold simply be another tool an immigration officer can use in making a decision on this person's risk profile.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby gh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:31 pm

Tuariki: cease & desist.

this is not a request
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Tuariki » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Will do
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby BillVol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:48 am

"The bureau declined to answer questions Saturday about whether it revisited its 2011 investigation of Tamerlan Tsarnaev after the Marathon attack, or why the bureau was unable to identify the suspects in race day security footage two years after interviewing him and his family."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/2013/04/20/fbi-was-warned-years-ago-alleged-bomber-radical-shift/mprN4HgqqUcYoxlgrWPcOP/story.html

"The younger brother, Dzhokhar, 19, fled on foot, somehow eluding police and beginning a widespread search by thousands of federal agents and state and local officers."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/how-string-of-events-involving-tsarnaev-brothers-unfolded/2013/04/19/629d19c6-a929-11e2-8302-3c7e0ea97057_story.html
BillVol
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Pego » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:44 am

As the reports keep coming in, it appears that no big mystery exists and Tamerlan was just a garden variety fanatical jihadist.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: Explosions at Boston finish

Postby Daisy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:36 am

26mi235 wrote:
Daisy wrote:As to Madison avg temps in Feb, the avg high is 67 so that's not too far off.

Actually, since 1948, the maximum 'on-the-hour' reading for Madison has never been as high as 67.

I don't think you hit the link. :mrgreen: I guess you're talking about this one the?
Last edited by Daisy on Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 am

BillVol wrote:"The bureau declined to answer questions Saturday about whether it revisited its 2011 investigation of Tamerlan Tsarnaev after the Marathon attack, or why the bureau was unable to identify the suspects in race day security footage two years after interviewing him and his family."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/2013/04/20/fbi-was-warned-years-ago-alleged-bomber-radical-shift/mprN4HgqqUcYoxlgrWPcOP/story.html

"The younger brother, Dzhokhar, 19, fled on foot, somehow eluding police and beginning a widespread search by thousands of federal agents and state and local officers."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/how-string-of-events-involving-tsarnaev-brothers-unfolded/2013/04/19/629d19c6-a929-11e2-8302-3c7e0ea97057_story.html


If you're attempting to support your earlier questions all you are doing is pointing out that media representatives can be just as unrealistic with their expectations of law enforcement as you are yourself.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby gh » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:41 am

Pego wrote:As the reports keep coming in, it appears that no big mystery exists and Tamerlan was just a garden variety fanatical jihadist.


How delightfully ironic that the kid will wake up in Beth Israel hospital.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Friar » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:41 pm

expectations of law enforcement

While LE seem to be getting high marks I don't think upon more serious examination the good feelings are going to hold up.
Even without any photographic evidence I would hope that all "watch list" residents of greater Boston would have been picked up as a matter of course. That apparently wasn't something that was attempted in the aftermath.

the kid

The media like to describe him as a strong student but he attends the lower rated of the three UMass campuses and apparently he's flunking.
He went back to school --about 50 miles SE--after the bombings. The two apparently thought they would go back to life as they knew it. Not too bright .
Friar
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the Bay.

Re: Explosions at Boston finish

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Daisy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
Daisy wrote:As to Madison avg temps in Feb, the avg high is 67 so that's not too far off.

Actually, since 1948, the maximum 'on-the-hour' reading for Madison has never been as high as 67.

I don't think you hit the link. :mrgreen: I guess you're talking about this one the?


Actually, I was using the 8760 hours/year x 65 years of hourly data for Madison to do these statistics. No reliance on someone else's possibly flawed statistics.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Explosions at Boston finish

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:04 pm

Daisy wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
Daisy wrote:As to Madison avg temps in Feb, the avg high is 67 so that's not too far off.

Actually, since 1948, the maximum 'on-the-hour' reading for Madison has never been as high as 67.

I don't think you hit the link. :mrgreen: I guess you're talking about this one the?


Actually, I was using the 8760 hours/year x 65 years of hourly data for Madison to do these statistics. No reliance on someone else's possibly flawed statistics.

By the way, I do distinctly remember that very warm February day. It was a Sunday and we went for a ~50 mile ride relatively early on Sunday and when returning on Seminole and through the Arb there were bikes upon bikes going the other way. I rode home via the Zoo and Micheal's Frozen Custard and I am not sure that I have ever seen either one of them more packed. The Zoo was definitely a hazard to ride past, even with a group of racing cyclists to ride with because there were so many (many, many, many) people driving around looking for a place to park (leaving the car at home and walking was the best choice for anyone less than a mile away). [It was sad to see Micheal's closed this winter :(
26mi235
 
Posts: 16337
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby kevinsdad » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Friar wrote:
expectations of law enforcement

While LE seem to be getting high marks I don't think upon more serious examination the good feelings are going to hold up.
Even without any photographic evidence I would hope that all "watch list" residents of greater Boston would have been picked up as a matter of course. That apparently wasn't something that was attempted in the aftermath.


I hope that by "picked up" you mean questioned, as, thankfully, we still can't "pick up," i.e. arrest, persons in this country on suspicion alone. I think the law enforcement decision most open to criticism was restricting the search to a 20 block perimeter. Picked for no other reason, I suspect, than being a nice round number, it was a perimeter that even a seriously wounded suspect escaped. A healthy suspect would have been long gone. It reminded me of all those seasons of 24, when the bad guys always escaping the perimeter became an invariable plot device/running joke.
kevinsdad
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby BillVol » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Dutra5 wrote:If you're attempting to support your earlier questions all you are doing is pointing out that media representatives can be just as unrealistic with their expectations of law enforcement as you are yourself.


Oh, OK.
BillVol
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Chattanooga

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:02 pm

gh wrote:
Pego wrote:As the reports keep coming in, it appears that no big mystery exists and Tamerlan was just a garden variety fanatical jihadist.


How delightfully ironic that the kid will wake up in Beth Israel hospital.


That occurred to me as well.

BTW...reports are the kid cannot speak, may not ever be able to speak as he was shot in the throat and the NYT says there's some thought of a failed suicide attempt.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:07 pm

kevinsdad wrote:
Friar wrote:
expectations of law enforcement

While LE seem to be getting high marks I don't think upon more serious examination the good feelings are going to hold up.
Even without any photographic evidence I would hope that all "watch list" residents of greater Boston would have been picked up as a matter of course. That apparently wasn't something that was attempted in the aftermath.


I hope that by "picked up" you mean questioned, as, thankfully, we still can't "pick up," i.e. arrest, persons in this country on suspicion alone. I think the law enforcement decision most open to criticism was restricting the search to a 20 block perimeter. Picked for no other reason, I suspect, than being a nice round number, it was a perimeter that even a seriously wounded suspect escaped. A healthy suspect would have been long gone. It reminded me of all those seasons of 24, when the bad guys always escaping the perimeter became an invariable plot device/running joke.


I'm not sure the older brother was on any "watch list" in the first place. The perimeter I thought was set up based on the fact that blood was found moving away from the shootout scene giving the thought that he was within a pretty small area.

Most police work involves putting tips and evidence together.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 am

gh wrote:
Pego wrote:As the reports keep coming in, it appears that no big mystery exists and Tamerlan was just a garden variety fanatical jihadist.


How delightfully ironic that the kid will wake up in Beth Israel hospital.

The way I understand these things, it's probably no more ironic than a Hamas operative waking up in a Moscow hospital. After Hamas won the 2006 elections, Russia was one of the first governments to recognize them and they followed that up by inviting their leaders to Moscow for an official state visit. Additionally, Russia has been a steadfast and reliable supporter the Palestinian cause at the U.N. Security Council in recent years. Consequently, both Hamas and Hezbollah rebuffed efforts by the Chechen rebels who tried to recruit them to their cause against Moscow, and both groups condemned the Beslan school massacre. So my guess is that the Chechens are as unsympathetic to the Arab cause as Arabs are to their cause.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Pego » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:36 am

jazzcyclist wrote:So my guess is that the Chechens are as unsympathetic to the Arab cause as Arabs are to their cause.


This may be so, but Tamerlan appears to have been espousing Muslim jihad causes rather than being a Chechen separatist.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby lonewolf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:01 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:So my guess is that the Chechens are as unsympathetic to the Arab cause as Arabs are to their cause.


This may be so, but Tamerlan appears to have been espousing Muslim jihad causes rather than being a Chechen separatist.

It seems so.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:29 am

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:So my guess is that the Chechens are as unsympathetic to the Arab cause as Arabs are to their cause.


This may be so, but Tamerlan appears to have been espousing Muslim jihad causes rather than being a Chechen separatist.

But I don't think Muslim jihadists really care that much about the Palestinian issue, rather they occasionally use it was a rallying cry because they know that it resonates accross the Arab/Muslim world even among secular, westernized Muslims who despise the jihadists. There are recordings of Osama bin Laden talking about the Palestinians when he didn't think anyone was listening and he actually despised them, mainly because they were secularist that were too tolerant of and too assimilated with Christians, and they were too westernized on social issues such as women's rights. Keep in mind that Yasir Arafat's wife is Christian and both Hamas and Hezbollah have Christian members.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Pego » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:So my guess is that the Chechens are as unsympathetic to the Arab cause as Arabs are to their cause.


This may be so, but Tamerlan appears to have been espousing Muslim jihad causes rather than being a Chechen separatist.

But I don't think Muslim jihadists really care that much about the Palestinian issue, rather they occasionally use it was a rallying cry because they know that it resonates accross the Arab/Muslim world even among secular, westernized Muslims who despise the jihadists. There are recordings of Osama bin Laden talking about the Palestinians when he didn't think anyone was listening and he actually despised them, mainly because they were secularist that were too tolerant of and too assimilated with Christians, and they were too westernized on social issues such as women's rights. Keep in mind that Yasir Arafat's wife is Christian and both Hamas and Hezbollah have Christian members.


You keep bringing up the Palestinian issue here. Did the Tsarnayevs care for the Palestinian issue? If they did, I would have missed it.
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:06 am

Pego wrote:You keep bringing up the Palestinian issue here. Did the Tsarnayevs care for the Palestinian issue? If they did, I would have missed it.

I was only commenting on gh's post about the irony of the surviving Tsarnayev waking up in Beth Israel Hospital. Perhaps I wrongly presumed that he was indirectly alluding to the Israel-Arab conflict.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby batonless relay » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:24 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Pego wrote:You keep bringing up the Palestinian issue here. Did the Tsarnayevs care for the Palestinian issue? If they did, I would have missed it.

I was only commenting on gh's post about the irony of the surviving Tsarnayev waking up in Beth Israel Hospital. Perhaps I wrongly presumed that he was indirectly alluding to the Israel-Arab conflict.

I have to confess: I presumed the same thing of gh's post.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby lonewolf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:23 am

I instantly saw the irony of taking #2 to Beth Israel.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Friar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:48 pm

Public seems to be catching on a bit and starting to ask some questions. Will police look as competent as they did a few days ago? I don't think so. It's good the FBI took their bows quickly.

This is where the press which has been taking a beating in some quarters has a chance to do some good work. The aftermath shouldn't be about prayer, singing, signs, slogans, et. al. Let's get some real information out there, debunk the fake story-lines with facts, demand some accountability (as well as help for the inj).

A few oddities:
~ The boat guy hasn't been talking. So his neighbors stand in his yard and comment to open mic's?
~ The dead guy's mom in-law supposedly put her N.Kingston house up for sale Sun.
~ The nude guy seems to have disappeared?
~ The Jewish gal "Rose" (R&Latin/Columbia) has had a lot to say to TV cameras.
~ They want to take the kid alive yet riddle a small boat with gunshots? Did he even fire one round from the boat in what's been called a "firefight."
Friar
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the Bay.

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby lonewolf » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:39 pm

Friar wrote: ~ They want to take the kid alive yet riddle a small boat with gunshots? Did he even fire one round from the boat in what's been called a "firefight."

Been curious about that myself.. :?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:57 pm

Pego wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:So my guess is that the Chechens are as unsympathetic to the Arab cause as Arabs are to their cause.


This may be so, but Tamerlan appears to have been espousing Muslim jihad causes rather than being a Chechen separatist.

It's all quite fluid. Dagestan is a hot bed for muslim jihadists. There are Chechnyans fighting with the Taliban. I think it's useless to speculate about whether Terrorist #1 and Terrorist#2 felt more connected to the Checnyan cause than to general Jihadism. They were both getting there.
Of course these guys would be anti Jew, That comes with the territory.

I have to say I think the FBI blew it with Terrorist # 1 traveling to Russia, Dagestan and Chechnya for 6 months. After the warnings from the Russians they have talked about possible spelling errors in the guy's Aeroflot tickets. What about his passport?
Per Andersen
 
Posts: 3738
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jeremyp » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 am

The issue is that there are fundamentalists who believe that their religion (and thus they) are under attack, and that striking back at the soft underbelly of the "enemy" is legitimate. Almost every religion has had this in their history. Today in Myanmar we have Buddhists killing Muslims, in Nigeria we have Christians killing Muslims, in the Sudan we have Muslims killing Christians, and in Sri Lanka we have Buddhists killing off Hindus. Leaders know how to rile up the downtrodden to commit heinous acts in the name of "religion" or "nationalism" or almost any "ism."
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4544
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 am

Per Andersen wrote:It's all quite fluid. Dagestan is a hot bed for muslim jihadists. There are Chechnyans fighting with the Taliban. I think it's useless to speculate about whether Terrorist #1 and Terrorist#2 felt more connected to the Checnyan cause than to general Jihadism. They were both getting there.
Of course these guys would be anti Jew, That comes with the territory.

The hardcore radical Islamic jihadists are anti-Infidel, not just anti-Jew. They're equal opportunity haters who have as little use for Christians, Hindus and Buddhists as they do for Jews. The older brother got kicked out of his Cambridge Mosque a few months ago after he interrupted the service with a loud outburst objecting to a sermon by the Imam praising Martin Luther King as a role model to be emulated. His objection was to the Imam even mentioning the name of a Christian in a Mosque.

http://news.yahoo.com/report-bombing-su ... 26493.html

Historically, terrorist groups will only collaborate with other terrorist groups when they don't think the collaboration undermine their cause. One example of this is the IRA-PLO partnership of the 70's and 80's. Neither group saw a downside in helping the other and they even flaunted this relationship with signs, buildboards, posters and graffiti all over Belfast and the West Bank. On the other hand, not only have Hamas and Hezbollah kept their distance from the Chechens so as not to offend Russia, a major weapons supplier, but they've been even more vigilant about keeping their distance from Al Qaeda so as not to bring the wrath of the U.S. down on their heads.
Per Andersen wrote:I have to say I think the FBI blew it with Terrorist # 1 traveling to Russia, Dagestan and Chechnya for 6 months. After the warnings from the Russians they have talked about possible spelling errors in the guy's Aeroflot tickets. What about his passport?

I'm guessing that the reason the FBI didn't put too much effort into trying find out what this guy was up to is because he was a Chechen, and the Chechen rebels' beef is with Russia. They would probably be just as lax if the U.K. tipped them off about some IRA sympathizer who might be up to no good. On the other hand, if the Saudis or the Pakistanis tipped them off that one of their citizens needed to be watched, I doubt very seriously that they would have let him slip through the cracks.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:04 pm

All of the FBI expert types on Tee Vee have offered up some version of the FBI figured the Russians were only concerned about a Russian threat and that when the US tried to find out specific info as to what they (the Russians who pointed him out) were looking for they didn't get an answer.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Friar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 pm

I think I heard NBC's Pete Williams say the duo were armed with a single semi-auto handgun. He also didn't think that they were trying to flee the area. They were smart enough to be dangerous but as far as a plan goes, just dumb bastards with a zero chance of getting away.

A key question will be did the Marathon have plain clothed cops, employ a legit security service-- or both-- on the lookout around the stands across from the finish on both sides of Boylston?
They may not have stopped a quick-fused bomb but a sharp eye may have detected the bag drop if they were thinking of something like this as a possibility.
Friar
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Sittin' on the dock of the Bay.

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Friar wrote:I think I heard NBC's Pete Williams say the duo were armed with a single semi-auto handgun. He also didn't think that they were trying to flee the area. They were smart enough to be dangerous but as far as a plan goes, just dumb bastards with a zero chance of getting away.

A key question will be did the Marathon have plain clothed cops, employ a legit security service-- or both-- on the lookout around the stands across from the finish on both sides of Boylston?
They may not have stopped a quick-fused bomb but a sharp eye may have detected the bag drop if they were thinking of something like this as a possibility.


Not sure how long the bags were on the ground. It seems from the photos released and the synopsis as released thus far regarding the 2nd blast, that the bag was only on the ground for a couple of minutes and left alone for a very short period of time down to perhaps 20 secs or less. I've read much less on the first bomb and I'm not sure there is as much known about the action with that bag.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Tuariki » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:17 pm

jeremyp wrote:The issue is that there are fundamentalists who believe that their religion (and thus they) are under attack, and that striking back at the soft underbelly of the "enemy" is legitimate. Almost every religion has had this in their history. Today in Myanmar we have Buddhists killing Muslims, in Nigeria we have Christians killing Muslims, in the Sudan we have Muslims killing Christians, and in Sri Lanka we have Buddhists killing off Hindus. Leaders know how to rile up the downtrodden to commit heinous acts in the name of "religion" or "nationalism" or almost any "ism."

It appears that the common thread of much of the acts in terror in the world is religion and has been for hundreds of years.
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:10 am

Not surprisingly, the surviving bomber says that he and he brother were motivated by outrage over U.S. foreign policy in the Muslim world, in particular the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. The scary thing is that they were self-radicalized by stuff the saw on the internet without any apparent help from outside terrorist groups.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby Marlow » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:26 am

Friar wrote:A key question will be did the Marathon have plain clothed cops, employ a legit security service-- or both-- on the lookout around the stands across from the finish on both sides of Boylston? They may not have stopped a quick-fused bomb but a sharp eye may have detected the bag drop if they were thinking of something like this as a possibility.

The sad outcome of this is increased security measures everywhere.
The Price of Freedom?
Unless you are willing to deny access to a public place and have airport scanners on every street corner, you will never prevent what happened in Boston.

I fear we are merely at the Dawn of the Age of Individual Terrorism. Every nutjob with a grudge to bear and a knapsack of homemade explosives will have us at their mercy. :(
Marlow
 
Posts: 21135
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:47 am

Marlow wrote:
Friar wrote:A key question will be did the Marathon have plain clothed cops, employ a legit security service-- or both-- on the lookout around the stands across from the finish on both sides of Boylston? They may not have stopped a quick-fused bomb but a sharp eye may have detected the bag drop if they were thinking of something like this as a possibility.

The sad outcome of this is increased security measures everywhere.
The Price of Freedom?
Unless you are willing to deny access to a public place and have airport scanners on every street corner, you will never prevent what happened in Boston.

I fear we are merely at the Dawn of the Age of Individual Terrorism. Every nutjob with a grudge to bear and a knapsack of homemade explosives will have us at their mercy. :(

I don't think there's anything we can do to prevent acts of domestic terrorism and mass murder, but we can greatly diminish foreign terrorists. We don't need folks overseas to like us, we just need them not to hate us enough to want travel across an ocean to want to kill us.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Boston bombers thread

Postby batonless relay » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:08 am

jazzcyclist wrote:...The scary thing is that they were self-radicalized by stuff the saw on the internet without any apparent help from outside terrorist groups.

That's not scary, that's expected. How are these guys any different than an American who becomes a Neo-Nazi or white supremacist just based on the way they feel about themselves? It happens all the time. Charles Manson, Eric Rudolph, Lanza, Harris and Klebold were self-radicalized, as are/were Timothy McVeigh, Ted Kazcynski, Randy Weaver, Weather Underground, KKK, Black Panthers or Eric Rudolph, Scott Roeder or any number of murderers/intimidators of doctors who perform abortion. Right now there are people THROUGHOUT the United States who are actively training for the overthrow of the United States and they're American citizens, too; only they're doing weekend "maneuvers" instead of taking trips to Russia.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests