Tourney schools ranked by 'coolest person who went there'

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Tourney schools ranked by 'coolest person who went there

Postby KDFINE » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Most of these choices have the drop-out rates of the schools' football and basketball players.
Now who was the "coolest" to ever graduate?
KDFINE

Postby BillVol » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:55 pm

lone: No comment on Coach Gallagher?
BillVol

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:23 pm

KDFINE wrote:Most of these choices have the drop-out rates of the schools' football and basketball players.
Now who was the "coolest" to ever graduate?

Kris Kristofferson, Pomona College (a little more than Will Lear). "gag me with a spoon"'s hint: think Moon One] dad also went there, but only briefly.

[By the way, that reference was to the late Frank Zappa with daughter Moon Unit, and son D...]
Last edited by 26mi235 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26mi235

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:22 pm

BillVol wrote:lone: No comment on Coach Gallagher?

Ed Gallagher is indeed a revered icon at Okla A&M/OSU and probably would have been my first thought.. I was reacting to the Busey entertanment genre in selecting Garth Brooks in that he was also an athlete and infinitely more "cool" than Busey.

Gallager was an exceptional track and football athlete but I don't think he ever wrestled.

As to hyphenating Gallagher-Iba arena.. Henry Iba has an enviable legacy in the basketball program he built and maintained for over thirty years... IMO, he deserved the hyphen.

Gallagher Hall was built circa 1937. I was present in 1950-51 when OAMC lost the 4th or 5th game on that court.. Melchior(?) of St Louis U hit a desperation half court shot at the buzzer for a 38-37 (or something like that) victory.. the original 4 " thick, white maple court was preserved during renovation of G-I and is still in use...it has been sanded a few times, don't know how thick it is now but still solid and unblemished.
lonewolf

Postby lonewolf » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:54 pm

More on Gallagher Hall.. when I was there ,1949-53 ,it was a 6000+seat steep sided arena. OAMC was a perrenial NCAA wrestling champion and the building was packed for dual wrestling matches... enrollment at the time was about 6000.

When they built a new building over and around old Gallagher, they grand-fathered the original steep first (and only) tier of seats, which would not be pemitted by current building codes, and added two upper tiers at the same angle. Consequently, now fans are about as close as 13,000 people can get to the court...which, when the Cowboys were winning during the Eddie Sutton glory days, no doubt helped it be declared "the rowdiest arena in college" by Dick Vitale, or some broadcaster of that ilk, even though it nevers attains the decibel level of the old building.

The original exterior walls are now interior walls with the OAMC/OSU Athletic Hall of Honors in the space between old and new walls on the west side of the arena, the east, north and south sides being entrance lobbies..
The building forms the east end of Boone Pickens stadium with 2nd and 3rd floor suites and banquet room overlooking the football field.
lonewolf

Postby BillVol » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks for the history lesson, lone. I've always admired Coach Gallagher.
BillVol

Postby dj » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:09 am

BillVol wrote:Thanks for the history lesson, lone. I've always admired Coach Gallagher.

You're on a first name basis with Mr. wolf? :)
dj

Postby gh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 am

Of course, there are multiple schools on that list whereby just having been there removes any cachet of coolness you may have once had! :twisted:
gh

Postby BillVol » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 am

dj wrote:
BillVol wrote:Thanks for the history lesson, lone. I've always admired Coach Gallagher.

You're on a first name basis with Mr. wolf? :)

Not that I am worthy of it, but yes! :wink:
BillVol

Postby jhc68 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:02 pm

Re: UCLA... Jackie Robinson was way cooler than James Dean and so was Woody Strode!
jhc68

Postby DrJay » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:59 am

I'd pick Michael Jordan over Nurse Ratched for UNC. Thirteeen foot jump shot with 17 seconds to go to beat Georgetown in 1982 as a frosh? Pretty cool.
DrJay

Postby cullman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:28 pm

jhc68 wrote:Re: UCLA... Jackie Robinson was way cooler than James Dean and so was Woody Strode!

Woody Strode may have been the coolest person on earth. Cooler than Bing and Miles IMHO. :)
cullman

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:03 pm

cullman wrote:
jhc68 wrote:Re: UCLA... Jackie Robinson was way cooler than James Dean and so was Woody Strode!

Woody Strode may have been the coolest person on earth. Cooler than Bing and Miles IMHO. :)

Quite something in The Professionals.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:06 pm

I fell in love with Woody Strode in elementary school, watching a potboiler called The Last Voyage (Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone). As the ocean liner goes down, with Malone trapped below decks, a no-shirted Woody hauls some acetylene tanks over the side of the ship. I had no idea anybody could be built like that.

He showed some serious acting chops in Sergeant Rutledge though.

Of course, if you're a track fan (oh, wait, if you're reading this, you are one) you'll think of what kind of decathlete he might have been. He was 4th in the '38 NCAA shot for UCLA, but before that, how about the Cali State Meet of '33, when he was 2nd in the shot and 4th in the 220 hurdles?!
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:23 pm

I remember watching The Last Voyage way way back on a black and white tv. I forgot WS was the guy who helped the Stack and Malone out.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby bijanc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:35 pm

Temple: Bill Cosby rather than Wendt. Guy Rodgers was more cool than Wendt.
UCLA: Kareem or Florence above Jimmy Dean
NC State: David Thompson
UNC: Tom Wicker, Charlie Rose, David Brinkley (if Pres. Wilson was cool...)
IU: Mark Spitz or Mark Cuban over Lee Majors
Akron: Nate Thurmond
Davidson: Mike Maloy
Memphis: Larry " Dr. K" Kenon is their coolest product. Tubby Finch and Penny Hardaway were cooler than Lawler
bijanc

Next