Good tips for picking NCAA tourney games

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Good tips for picking NCAA tourney games

Postby donley2 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:14 am

For those who are wandering who may have somehow miraculously gotten the final four correct, well in the ESPN contest 47 people of 8 million entries did.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation

Just 47 of the 8.15 million brackets in Tournament Challenge got the entire Final Four correct, thanks in large part to Wichita State. For just Sunday's games, 6.3 percent of brackets correctly picked both Louisville and Michigan to reach the Final Four (52.6 percent for the Cardinals, 13.3 percent for the Wolverines).

Breakdown of brackets by number of teams in the Final Four:

4/4: 47 total
3/4: 0.46 percent (37,425 brackets)
2/4: 9.7 percent
1/4: 53.4 percent
0/4: 36.4 percent
donley2

Postby bambam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:29 pm

Interesting stat on ESPN re Final Four - first Final Four since 1985 with none of the big 6 teams - Duke, UNC (in that order), Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA
bambam

Postby wamego relays champ » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 am

I have no clue how it happened, but somehow I picked six of the Elite Eight, three of the Final Four and the two finalists correctly.

That puts me in the 99.7th Percentile on Yahoo's Tournament Pick-Em game, meaning I am ranked somewhere in the top 10,000. (Theirs is less popular than the espn.com game, with only about 3.5 million entries).

All in all, still pretty humbling.

wamego relays champ

Postby Master Po » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:22 pm

wamego relays champ wrote:I have no clue how it happened, but somehow I picked six of the Elite Eight, three of the Final Four and the two finalists correctly.

That puts me in the 99.7th Percentile on Yahoo's Tournament Pick-Em game, meaning I am ranked somewhere in the top 10,000. (Theirs is less popular than the espn.com game, with only about 3.5 million entries).

All in all, still pretty humbling.

wamego, that's pretty impressive! Now...what we really need you to do is to focus your prognostication skills on the WC...
:D
Master Po

Postby Master Po » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

Side note on the NCAA women's tournament: Louisville is the lowest seed (#5) ever to make the final game. Historically, I know that's a reflection of the lack of depth in the women's tournament, but perhaps also an indicator that the women's game is gradually developing a bit more depth.

I pay little attention to the women's game (don't pay too much to the men's, beyond my favorite teams), but know plenty of people who follow it more closely than they do the men's game.
Master Po

Postby DrJay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:39 pm

bambam wrote:Interesting stat on ESPN re Final Four - first Final Four since 1985 with none of the big 6 teams - Duke, UNC (in that order), Kentucky, Kansas, Indiana, UCLA

Sorry, mate. Check out the other thread! :-)
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:21 pm

Well, after all the parity and #1 ranked teams losing this season, and the upsets early in the tournament, the overall #1 seed wins the whole thing. UL was ranked #2 in the AP pre-season poll (Indiana was #1, Michigan was #5.)
DrJay

Postby Master Po » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 am

DrJay wrote:Well, after all the parity and #1 ranked teams losing this season, and the upsets early in the tournament, the overall #1 seed wins the whole thing. UL was ranked #2 in the AP pre-season poll (Indiana was #1, Michigan was #5.)

Indeed. These dramas often have familiar endings.
Master Po

Previous