Oscar Pistorius suffers memory lapse

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Inspector Clouseau - now - The debate on Oscar Pistorius

Postby iain » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 pm

^This
iain

Postby user4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 pm

I cant assume that you think a woman should wait for the police to arrive before she is saved from an invader? You must know other alternatives :)

My hope is that the future will see the development of non-lethal technologies that allow the innocent to protect themselves without taking the life of the would-be rapist/murderer.

An ideal solution might be highly directive high propulsion pepper sprays. That seems like an avenue that should be explored in the self defense technology world. Of course you dont want a solution that merely makes the aggressor more aggressive and motivated. Another reason why firearms are so common for self defense is that the shelf life of guns and bullets is on the order of many decades, no serious need for a maintenance/replacement schedule. I suspect that the pepper spray solution falls short on this account. There is probably great room for research and development. I will try to stay positive. :)
Last edited by user4 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
user4

Re: Inspector Clouseau is alive and well in Pretoria

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:36 pm

lonewolf wrote:Oh, I thought he was born in August. :)

This was my first thought, but that made no sense. Surely she meant TAURUS? :twisted:
Daisy

Postby Dutra5 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm

polevaultpower wrote:
Pego wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:We don't know if that is what happened or not, but it is possible that Reeva believed OP that there was an intruder, and was hidden in the bathroom to protect herself, having no idea that OP thought _she_ was the intruder. She may have died believing an intruder shot her.

Pistorius said that he was screaming at Reeva to call the police. How could she mistake that for a burglar and remain quiet in the bathroom?

If I'm Reeva, and _if_ his version of events is true, I am assuming that he has actually seen an intruder, and I'm thinking that I don't want the burglar to know where I am because I don't want to get kidnapped/raped/murdered.

As far as how could OP not realize she was not in bed? If you have a dark room, a fluffy comforter, and you're in full panic mode, it could be easy to see lumps in the comforter out of the corner of your eye and assume she was there. I doubt she neatly made the bed before she got up to pee. One time in college I was at an away meet, and when I went to go to bed, I thought my bedmate had snuck her boyfriend in, so I slept on the couch. I was wrong.

And for the record, even if everything OP says is true, he still deserves to be locked up in jail IMO. Believing his story doesn't mean that you think he deserves no punishment.

PVP...I can't decide if I'd rather have you as my lawyer or on my jury. :lol:
Dutra5

Postby bad hammy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:23 pm

gh wrote:
18.99s wrote:...

If you buy six guns in a short period of time, and the guns are not for training for your job or using on the job, you're probably a criminal or a nutcase who is going to do something stupid with one of those guns someday, and I would want to stay far away from you.

Wrong. You're ignoring a not insubstantial part of the populace: those who collect things. Stamps, coins, knives, guns, you name it. There are no end of normal people who have all kind of guns that they may never even shoot. (for the record, my gut feel is that Pistorious is not one of these, but you're tarring with a way too wide a brush here)

I've spent most of my adult life living in Oakland, CA. Most folks in Oakland buying six guns at a time are probably not folks you would want to hang out with. And I am much more concerned with their ability to buy these arsenals than I am any inconvenience a collector or hunter might have if the government makes it a bit tougher to purchase their toys.
bad hammy

Postby user4 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:55 pm

bad hammy wrote:I've spent most of my adult life living in Oakland, CA. Most folks in Oakland buying six guns at a time are probably not folks you would want to hang out with. And I am much more concerned with their ability to buy these arsenals than I am any inconvenience a collector or hunter might have if the government makes it a bit tougher to purchase their toys.

If he is a criminal capable of armed robbery, murder or some other violent crime is he going to be worried about acquiring a gun outside the strict letter of the law ? Most guys of that type are breaking countless laws and gun laws already. You can add one more but it is likely not going to reduce crime. Do criminals have guns that can be traced back to them, certainly not the shrewdest and craftiest among them.
user4

truth about abs reviews that you will like

Postby pternice » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm

Lets hope this method Truth About Abs guide assists you opt for getting in touch with check out real truth about Fit abs technique your own own. fat loss Review the Truth About Abs Exam. Also, when you really checked out his Truth about belly fat novel and therefore follow so what he needs to state, it's obvious precisely why he definitely makes the allege. I think in which undertaking abdominal training exercises seemed to be incredibly hot sizzling to remove unwanted fat having said that Truth about belly fat acquired a doubly elaborate look at details.

The reality Abs muscles pdf is an marvellous merit and provide specific proven methods to look solid and then have perfect abs. truth about abs review Before the Truth about belly fat fraudulent will never be genuine given that there are no stressful weight loss diet plans and even maneuvers entailed throughout this path. The facts about Abdominals is all about doing easy diet regime transitions all night by way of a study course as well as to make the development of really a great deal additional fatty acids, then again to be able to burn-off body fat fat. Truth About Abs Mystery Bonus offer! I finally discovered Jake Geary's textbook, The truth on Fit abs.

Here is where their Jan Geary Truth About Abs regimen enters the picture. exercise program All people are talking over truth about belly fat. Sampling into your truth about Abs Assessment, inside of a country stuffed courtesy of products and services and also the media marketing almost consuming hostage for the potential purchaser, is often a thanking exercising. A new central using the technique the real truth Stomach muscles e-book draws attention ways used to obtain snug, ripped entire.
pternice

Postby 18.99s » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm

gh wrote:
18.99s wrote:...

If you buy six guns in a short period of time, and the guns are not for training for your job or using on the job, you're probably a criminal or a nutcase who is going to do something stupid with one of those guns someday, and I would want to stay far away from you.

Wrong. You're ignoring a not insubstantial part of the populace: those who collect things. Stamps, coins, knives, guns, you name it. There are no end of normal people who have all kind of guns that they may never even shoot. (for the record, my gut feel is that Pistorious is not one of these, but you're tarring with a way too wide a brush here)

OK, I'll agree that collectors of antique guns aren't to be painted with the same brush. But my view still holds for others who buy 6 guns in a month for non-occupational use, to be used only by their lone self (i.e. not shared with 5 family members) and they're not an octopus.

Sure I'll be wrong a lot of the time, but this is a matter of life and death and I'll be right enough of the time that staying away from such people and keeping my family away from them is a good strategy if I want to live long.
18.99s

Postby gh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm

Nowhere did I say collectors had to go for antiques. The fascination is basically the same for modern weaponry.
gh

Postby Tuariki » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:07 pm

mump boy wrote:
user4 wrote: The firearm is one of the great civilizing tools largely because, as a defensive weapon, it neutralizes the aggression and strength advantage of males vs. females. The average time-to-arrival after a call to the police is not encouraging. Self defense is just common sense.

I don't know how we cope here in the UK :roll:

Same. I am quite happy living in my uncivilized country.

I note that since the terrible events of Sandy Hook there have been about 2,000 cases of aggression neutralizing in the US.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 pm

Dutra5 wrote:

If you are in SA I guess PVP will have to be your lawyer, given they have no juries.
Tuariki

Postby polevaultpower » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:30 pm

gh wrote:Nowhere did I say collectors had to go for antiques. The fascination is basically the same for modern weaponry.

Oh definitely. If we had loads of cash sitting around and Lukas had stable employment, I'm sure we would have far more guns/ammo/accessories in the house. He can spend hours looking at guns online. He loves to watch youtube videos of people blowing stuff up with guns.

Fortunately, I married a man with some self-control. :wink:
polevaultpower

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:16 am

Tuariki wrote:
mump boy wrote:
user4 wrote: The firearm is one of the great civilizing tools largely because, as a defensive weapon, it neutralizes the aggression and strength advantage of males vs. females. The average time-to-arrival after a call to the police is not encouraging. Self defense is just common sense.

I note that since the terrible events of Sandy Hook there have been about 2,000 cases of aggression neutralizing in the US.

It might be worth taking a look at controlled studies of homicide rates across areas where gun prohibitions are in effect and contrast this with those rates where guns are lawful and accessible. Things can vary wildly across cultures, here is a rough sketch of homicide rates worldwide,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate

Regarding the UK, it was once a fundamental right to have arms for one's defense. Gladstone, considered it a natural right, that is, it was a right that government's can not grant but rather that they can only usurp,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politi ... ed_Kingdom
"The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject, that I shall at present mention, is that of having arms for their defence, suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and is indeed a public allowance, under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression."
user4

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:47 am

gh wrote:Nowhere did I say collectors had to go for antiques. The fascination is basically the same for modern weaponry.

And that fascination is why I consider them too dangerous for me to be around. Of course, that has no bearing on whether you or anybody else wants to be around them or be like them.
18.99s

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:24 am

Tuariki wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

If you are in SA I guess PVP will have to be your lawyer, given they have no juries.

We can promote her directly to judgeship.
Dutra5

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:01 am

Dutra5 wrote:
Tuariki wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

And with her pole beside her she will be able to easily reach out and give a friendly "tap", or not so friendly as the case may be, to any of the lawyers getting out of line.
Tuariki

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:18 pm

mump boy wrote:

Now you know why you lost the colonies! :D
jeremyp

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Tuariki wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
Tuariki wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

And with her pole beside her she will be able to easily reach out and give a friendly "tap", or not so friendly as the case may be, to any of the lawyers getting out of line.

A whack would be so much more entertaining. :D
Dutra5

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:37 pm

I was in a cadet force in HS in the UK and shot. I was in the ROTC in College and shot. Ditto for my stint in the Army. Haven't owned a gun since, and have had no need to. However I would buy one if I ever lived in an area with a high crime rate, although I would have to convince my wife to do so. The 2d amendment is alive and well in the US, but it has been hijacked by those too high on steroids and paranoia. Shooting clubs/hunting fine! Everybody who owns guns should have them registered and should not be allowed to sell them without proper paperwork, just like a car. No-one should be allowed a weapon that is primarily a military weapon unless they join a gun club and the weapon is secured there. I had a Spanish American war rifle on the wall in college and was told to remove the firing pin. No problem(o?)
Now as to inner cities and gangs I would allow Mayors to have stringent laws that would allow them to curb the mayhem. Let the Mayors and the Police chiefs guide those laws to fruition and screw the NRA. 2 cents Kaching!
jeremyp

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:54 pm

jeremyp wrote:I was in a cadet force in HS in the UK and shot. I was in the ROTC in College and shot. Ditto for my stint in the Army. Haven't owned a gun since, and have had no need to. However I would buy one if I ever lived in an area with a high crime rate, although I would have to convince my wife to do so. The 2d amendment is alive and well in the US, but it has been hijacked by those too high on steroids and paranoia. Shooting clubs/hunting fine! Everybody who owns guns should have them registered and should not be allowed to sell them without proper paperwork, just like a car. No-one should be allowed a weapon that is primarily a military weapon unless they join a gun club and the weapon is secured there. I had a Spanish American war rifle on the wall in college and was told to remove the firing pin. No problem(o?)
Now as to inner cities and gangs I would allow Mayors to have stringent laws that would allow them to curb the mayhem. Let the Mayors and the Police chiefs guide those laws to fruition and screw the NRA. 2 cents Kaching!

Great points all around, but there is one knot that wont go away, the data suggests that stringent gun control in inner cities has done nothing to curb the mayhem. It may actually exacerbate it. While the efforts at gun control may have done more harm than good it was certainly an honest effort on the part of city governments to give it a try. There are likely many factors that contribute to high crime in wealthy western cities but while stringent gun control laws effect to make the law abiding defenseless they have not reduced crime. Intuition tells me that humans must have a right to defend themselves in a way that is organic to their own constitution/makeup and just as importantly their circumstances. If they prefer firearms then that is a reasonable choice. People will defend themselves best when they are the ones determining the details. But it also seems obvious that people should not have to live in real fear that their neighbor's arsenal is going to blow up and destroy them. That is reasonable and so there must be reasonable restraints that society places on the right to keep and bear ammunition and other hazardous materials. If you have many arms and more importantly much ammunition in your home you should be forced to show that it is safe and secure and well kept. If you cant do that then your neighbors may exercise their rights to secure their home from accidental mayhem.
user4

Postby marknhj » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:15 pm

user4 - with respect, any chance of you giving your pro-deadly weapon agenda a break on this thread? You're blasting away at an already shot and well expired horse in your attempts to sway any opinions. It isn't going to happen.
marknhj

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:25 pm

marknhj wrote:user4 - with respect, any chance of you giving your pro-deadly weapon agenda a break on this thread? You're blasting away at an already shot and well expired horse in your attempts to sway any opinions. It isn't going to happen.

Amen to that!
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Dutra5 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 pm

I'll third the nomination.
Dutra5

Postby Pego » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Yes, back to our beloved hero :twisted: .
Pego

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Dutra5 wrote:I'll third the nomination.

It is a deal, and sorry about that .. not being a gun owner this is the only way for me to shoot dead animals :)
user4

Postby mump boy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:10 pm

jeremyp wrote:
mump boy wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing :?
mump boy

Postby kuha » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
marknhj wrote:user4 - with respect, any chance of you giving your pro-deadly weapon agenda a break on this thread? You're blasting away at an already shot and well expired horse in your attempts to sway any opinions. It isn't going to happen.

Amen to that!

Yes, me too. Marknhj is way more diplomatic on this subject than I could be.
kuha

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm

His use of the phrase " the firearm is one of the great civilizing tools..." blew ( pun intended) me away !!!
dukehjsteve

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:His use of the phrase " the firearm is one of the great civilizing tools..." blew ( pun intended) me away !!!

I dont know that there ever was a civilization where the small or small in number, the frail, the physically weaker along with groups of females were not able to protect themselves, and their property, by means of various clever self defense apparatus. Likely from homo habilis to the present, this has been a natural feature of humans and a hallmark of civilization's progress. Through countless millenia these tools have allowed people to travel and conduct trade to the mutual benefit of others without fear of being murdered, raped, raided or looted. The firearm is simply another variant, a minor advance, the most recent such tool.
Last edited by user4 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
user4

Postby berkeley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:06 pm

user4 wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:His use of the phrase " the firearm is one of the great civilizing tools..." blew ( pun intended) me away !!!

I dont know that there ever was a civilization where the small or small in number, the frail, the physically weaker along with groups of females were not able to protect themselves, and their property, by means of various clever self defense apparatus.

I prefer to think of this scenario as evolving societies aspiring to be civilizations. We'll truly achieve a civilized state when there is no longer a need for such protection. I'm not small, weak or a female, and yet I don't feel any compulsion to attack them or their property, and I think the vast majority feel the same way. The fact that a few deviants still do (far fewer than in times past) is not a problem we can solve by arming everyone.
berkeley

Postby Daisy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:32 pm

berkeley wrote:The fact that a few deviants still do (far fewer than in times past) is not a problem we can solve by arming everyone.

Note that Mrs Lanza thought she was safer.
Daisy

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 pm

user4 wrote:
Tuariki wrote:
mump boy wrote:

It might be worth taking a look at controlled studies of homicide rates across areas where gun prohibitions are in effect and contrast this with those rates where guns are lawful and accessible. Things can vary wildly across cultures, here is a rough sketch of homicide rates worldwide,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... icide_rate

The rate of intentional homicides per 100,000 population in that table shows:
0.9 - New Zealand
4.8 - USA
31.8- South Africa
The USA rate is 5.3 times higher than New Zealand

However, another Wikipedia table shows the rate per 100,000 population for intentional homicide by guns as:
0.17 - New Zealand
3.20 - USA
17.00 - USA
The USA rate is 18.8 times higher than New Zealand

So much for the "civilisation" of the USA gun ownership laws in protecting its citizens.

Still, the USA is a hell of a lot safer place than South Africa.

Many New Zealanders have firearms, mostly rifles for hunting and shotguns for duck shooting. But we have very strict licensing laws as to who can own them. And it is illegal to carry weapons. Pistols are pretty much a no no.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm

mump boy wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
mump boy wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing :?

Don't worry mump. You still got a colony of sorts on the other side of the world. Our laws still tell us that the Queen of New Zealand is some old lady who lives in a big stone house on the other side of the world who has been to New Zealand 10 times.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 pm

With the murder rate in South Africa being so incredibly high one can understand the paranoia that grips many of the South African population and the extent to which they go to barricade themselves inside mini fortresses surrounded by all manner of weaponry.

And so OP's likely (IMO) defense of paranoia may well resonate with many South Africans. IMO the outrage and hysteria is driven to a large extent because the victim was a gorgeously beautiful (in character as well as physically) white girl. I doubt there would be too much interest if OP's victim had been a black house maid.

Life is pretty cheap in South Africa and a number of sports stars have gotten away with murder in the past.
Tuariki

Postby polevaultpower » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:30 am

Dutra5 wrote:
Tuariki wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:
Tuariki wrote:

A whack would be so much more entertaining. :D

Haha thanks guys :lol:
polevaultpower

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:44 am

Tuariki wrote:Don't worry mump. You still got a colony of sorts on the other side of the world. Our laws still tell us that the Queen of New Zealand is some old lady who lives in a big stone house on the other side of the world who has been to New Zealand 10 times.
\

Hopefully she'll stay there next time and take her whole scrounger family with her, you're very welcome to them all
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:48 am

The link to murder rates makes it very clear that they are massively effected by medical care in different countries so are totally skewed by countries with better emergency care. US healthcare system may be far from desirable to many of us but there are lots of countries that don't have any at all.

Those statistics don't mean anything only that US is comparatively higher than many countries were people die unnecessarily.
mump boy

Postby Pego » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:08 am

user4 wrote:

I dont know that there ever was a civilization where the small or small in number, the frail, the physically weaker along with groups of females were not able to protect themselves, and their property, by means of various clever self defense apparatus. Likely from homo habilis to the present, this has been a natural feature of human and a hallmark of civilizations progress. Through countless millenia it has allowed people to travel and conduct trade to the mutual benefit of others without fear of being murdered, raped, raided or looted. The firearm is simply the most recent such tool.

Sorry user4, that women throughout history have been able to protect themselves against rapist, muggers...by means of weaponry of any kind is fantasy, they never have. The only thing that has always protected them to some degree have been male family/clan members and in the recent history, a functional state.

If the administration so desires, there could be a spin-off thread for a "civilization" debate, so there is no hijacking of this one again.
Pego

Postby shivfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 am

mump boy wrote:
Tuariki wrote:Don't worry mump. You still got a colony of sorts on the other side of the world. Our laws still tell us that the Queen of New Zealand is some old lady who lives in a big stone house on the other side of the world who has been to New Zealand 10 times.
\

Hopefully she'll stay there next time and take her whole scrounger family with her, you're very welcome to them all

:lol:
Seconded....
shivfan

Postby mal » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:28 am

Enter the cricket bat
mal

PreviousNext