Pistorius implicated in a murder


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Tuariki wrote:
Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

I was wondering What Nike product was Pistorius endorsing?
Obviously it wasn't footwear.
Is Nike into the manufacturing of bullets?


no but they can manufacture a narcissist for a mere 1million per year.
user4
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:26 pm

18.99s wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:The shooters identity has never been in doubt so innocent until proven guilty is not the issue. Is it murder or an accident is the question.


Based on information released so far, it's not yet established with certainty that Pistorius was the shooter, and not somebody else who fled the scene.


Certain?

The fact isn't in doubt at the moment, it isn't even being questioned.

The SA police who have refuted the "mistaken intruder" rumour have not at all indicated Pistorius isn't the person who fired the gun that killed her. The press isn't even using "alleged" in their reporting of this at the moment and you would think by now if he was going to claim he wasn't responsible a lawyer would have been stating their client was innocent and hoping the murder is caught by now. The complete lack of denial indicates there is certainty he shot her unless some wildly contridictory evidence comes up. As it's not being challenged it is reasonable to assume he fired the shots that killed her. The question is was it an accident?

In my further reading it appears Pistorius has prieviously spend a night in a cell for apparently assulting a women at his home, his ex has indicated nasty behavour and treatment of women and the SA police has been called for domestic issues previously.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:30 pm

Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc



I don't think it's a Nike Jinx! More like the fact Nike will sponsor virtually any successful athlete without regard to the quality of their character and behaviour so they suffer the consequences of that attitude towards sport.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby aaronk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:35 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:His lawyers are worried about the case, saying Pistorius doesn't have a leg to stand on.


NOT something to joke about, but....
I can imagine Jay Leno coming up with that line!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3341
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby jeremyp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:38 pm

Anybody else wondering about steroids? Namely testostorone.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby 18.99s » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:39 pm

eldanielfire wrote:Certain?

The fact isn't in doubt at the moment, it isn't even being questioned.

The SA police who have refuted the "mistaken intruder" rumour have not at all indicated Pistorius isn't the person who fired the gun that killed her. The press isn't even using "alleged" in their reporting of this at the moment and you would think by now if he was going to claim he wasn't responsible a lawyer would have been stating their client was innocent and hoping the murder is caught by now. The complete lack of denial indicates there is certainty he shot her unless some wildly contridictory evidence comes up.


Or he's exercising his right to remain silent at this time. If the shooter was somebody else, his lawyers will probably say that tomorrow in court. If an intruder shot my girlfriend or wife at my place and fled, and when police show up the first thing they do is arrest me, I'd keep my mouth shut until I talk to a lawyer.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc


Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....

Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.

And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm

big oops?
Guess the first 3 shots didn't kill her?
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:49 pm

18.99s wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:Certain?

The fact isn't in doubt at the moment, it isn't even being questioned.

The SA police who have refuted the "mistaken intruder" rumour have not at all indicated Pistorius isn't the person who fired the gun that killed her. The press isn't even using "alleged" in their reporting of this at the moment and you would think by now if he was going to claim he wasn't responsible a lawyer would have been stating their client was innocent and hoping the murder is caught by now. The complete lack of denial indicates there is certainty he shot her unless some wildly contridictory evidence comes up.


Or he's exercising his right to remain silent at this time. If the shooter was somebody else, his lawyers will probably say that tomorrow in court. If an intruder shot my girlfriend or wife at my place and fled, and when police show up the first thing they do is arrest me, I'd keep my mouth shut until I talk to a lawyer.


It is The Fugitive: 2 the guy with no legs chasing the guy with no arm who murdered his girl friend!
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....
Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.
And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....


All sociopaths, manipulaters, and liers.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:

How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....
Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.
And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....


All sociopaths, manipulaters, and liers.


OKaaay... I am glad we got that cleared up.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc


Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....

Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.

And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....


Nobody said they are all the same .Just they have all been presented as inspirational role models and turned out to be absolute failures.

Also the factural inaccuray, only the world of cycling cares for Armstrong? You really are detached from reality if you think only loonies who think any of those news cases are important.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:20 pm

eldanielfire wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc


Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....

Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.

And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....


Nobody said they are all the same .Just they have all been presented as inspirational role models and turned out to be absolute failures.

Also the factural inaccuray, only the world of cycling cares for Armstrong? You really are detached from reality if you think only loonies who think any of those news cases are important.


Woods is an absolute failure? The guy had a failed marriage. Something that happens to about half of marriages in this country. And she got about 100 million out of it. And she wasn't murdered.....

As for Armstrong, most of the vile comes from people who cared nothing about cycling until LA came along. LA took EPO in a sport where the number who weren't could be counted on one hand.

And then we have a fellow who shoots a woman a number of times. And somehow they are all connected.

But Okaaay.....I get the idea....hyperbole is big these days.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Conor Dary wrote:


Woods is an absolute failure? The guy had a failed marriage. Something that happens to about half of marriages in this country. And she got about 100 million out of it. And she wasn't murdered.....

As for Armstrong, most of the vile comes from people who cared nothing about cycling until LA came along. LA took EPO in a sport where the number who weren't could be counted on one hand.

And then we have a fellow who shoots a woman a number of times. And somehow they are all connected.

But Okaaay.....I get the idea....hyperbole is big these days.


Ther only person doing hyperbole here is you as only you have assumed that athletes who have all had their public personas destroyed is the same as an athlete who might ahve murdered somebody.

On Tiger Woods. It's not the failure of his marriage that people criticise him for, it's the persistent cheating and determination to cheat is the issue. that isn't Tiger Woods being sadly havng an end to his marriage as the whole thing,or making a mistake and straying, he was a cheating and lying shame for years.

Lance Armstrong projected himself to be an inspiration. to millions. he wasn;t by any means and cheated people out of their careers and even purposely ended peoples careers because he is a nasty, nasty individual not an inspiration which is how he made his millions and cheated millions of people of their hard earned cash. It's morally fraud.


So yeah, You need to quit the hyperbole, all the examples mentioned are legit targets as they made millions on bulshit. That doesn't at all mena they are the same levels of nasty or tragic events as you indicate, nor are their lies and actions insignificant as you indicate.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:51 pm

From CNN:

"Nike pulled an ad featuring Pistorius from its website Thursday. The ad showed Pistorius taking off for a run, and contained the words 'I am the bullet in the chamber.'"

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/14/world/afr ... ?hpt=hp_t1
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby TN1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Basically, it is silly to look up to famed athletes as "role models" because we personally don't know them.

Tiger is good at hitting golf balls. Whether his marriage was a mess or he has manipulative character has nothing to do with that. We should enjoy watching him playing golf, and noting more. I do not go into the case of Lance, because his "offense" is related to his sport itself...
TN1965
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby AS » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Sounds like Pistorius doesn't have a leg to stand on... :oops:
AS
 
Posts: 4499
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 1956 Olympic city

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:17 pm

TN1965 wrote:Basically, it is silly to look up to famed athletes as "role models" because we personally don't know them.

Tiger is good at hitting golf balls. Whether his marriage was a mess or he has manipulative character has nothing to do with that. We should enjoy watching him playing golf, and noting more. I do not go into the case of Lance, because his "offense" is related to his sport itself...


It may be silly, but if athletes use their personality to sell products then they become resonsible when that character is revelaed to be b##ls##t. If an athlete doesnt sell themselves personally to earn money than fair enough. However every one of them does so it's fair game if they turn out to be not what they project to the public for money.

There is also the factor that roles models are signifcant and required in society and culture, especially for children who do copy role models in their lives. Regardless of your opinion if you create a public profile and make use of fame for money or attention then you take on responsibility for infulencing impressionable minds, regardless of if you want it or not.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Love to hear what the neigbours thought at the fights and rows, not to mention the police called up a number of times. Todays great hero in sport or other activity is so often a person with feet of clay; there seem to be plenty of people who knew OP coming forward to talk about his tendency to drink yoo much, his rudeness and abusiveness to others in social situations.

I went right off this guy after his petulant outburst at being beaten in one of the sprints in London last year.
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby TN1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 pm

eldanielfire wrote: It may be silly, but if athletes use their personality to sell products then they become resonsible when that character is revelaed to be b##ls##t. If an athlete doesnt sell themselves personally to earn money than fair enough. However every one of them does so it's fair game if they turn out to be not what they project to the public for money.

There is also the factor that roles models are signifcant and required in society and culture, especially for children who do copy role models in their lives. Regardless of your opinion if you create a public profile and make use of fame for money or attention then you take on responsibility for infulencing impressionable minds, regardless of if you want it or not.


Then it is the consumers' own fault that they are duped into a false image. If they ignore athletes product endorsement not related to their sports, then sponsors will stop paying them big money.

As for the need for role models, there are many adults that children personally know. Those people are far better as role models than those you have seen only on the TV screen.
TN1965
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby observer2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 96154.html
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and he can be just another simple weapon addict and a murderer.
Last edited by observer2 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
observer2
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

TN1965 wrote:
eldanielfire wrote: It may be silly, but if athletes use their personality to sell products then they become resonsible when that character is revelaed to be b##ls##t. If an athlete doesnt sell themselves personally to earn money than fair enough. However every one of them does so it's fair game if they turn out to be not what they project to the public for money.

There is also the factor that roles models are signifcant and required in society and culture, especially for children who do copy role models in their lives. Regardless of your opinion if you create a public profile and make use of fame for money or attention then you take on responsibility for infulencing impressionable minds, regardless of if you want it or not.


Then it is the consumers' own fault that they are duped into a false image. If they ignore athletes product endorsement not related to their sports, then sponsors will stop paying them big money.

As for the need for role models, there are many adults that children personally know. Those people are far better as role models than those you have seen only on the TV screen.


To children having rolemodels are not a matter of being in somebodies lives at home or on TV, it is a matter of their status, in the family or in society, it matters not a jot.

In an evolutionary sense we exist in tribes and are dependent upon us for survival and look to adults in the tribe tod evelope new learning. Children are not rational and capable decision makers so if somebody promotes themselves for attention or money they are making themselves a rolemodel in the childrens and young adults lives regadless of the other people in their lives and thus must accept the responsibilities for those actions.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby eldanielfire » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:00 pm

observer2 wrote:I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 96154.html
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and yet another simple weapon addict is a murderer.


Woah, while I agree the facts look thta wya at the moment, let's wait to see if all the facts are available now before we pass judgement.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby kellits2gnv » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:10 pm

observer2 wrote:I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 96154.html
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and yet another simple weapon addict is a murderer.


Congrats on being jealous of (and presumably envious of?) a man born with no legs. Jeez.
kellits2gnv
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:00 am
Location: Gainesville

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby lonewolf » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 pm

As I have stated before, I do not understand how anyone is influenced to purchase a product because it is "endorsed" by a celebrity or athlete. (Admittedly, I will not purchase anything endorsed by some celebrities.)
Apparently, the marketing people have a different opinion. :?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby observer2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:21 pm

kellits2gnv wrote:
observer2 wrote:I always been against Pistorius as a sportsman..mentioned also here a few times the last 4-5 years. Ridiculous it has been to see his fake blades. About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 96154.html
This mornings event is a sad next step that prove he (and the fake blade running) should have been stopped years ago. He never was what he pretended to be and now it´s over. A young woman is dead and yet another simple weapon addict is a murderer.


Congrats on being jealous of (and presumably envious of?) a man born with no legs. Jeez.


Envious? I think you totally misunderstand the situation.
observer2
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby TN1965 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:26 pm

lonewolf wrote:As I have stated before, I do not understand how anyone is influenced to purchase a product because it is "endorsed" by a celebrity or athlete. (Admittedly, I will not purchase anything endorsed by some celebrities.)
Apparently, the marketing people have a different opinion. :?


Well, if Meb endorses a pair of running shoes, that's worth something. (Not that I want to run with a pair of Skechers.) On the other hand, I have no interest in the razor Federer is using. (Tennis rackets, yes, if I were a tennis player.)
TN1965
 
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:26 pm

TN1965 wrote:Basically, it is silly to look up to famed athletes as "role models" because we personally don't know them.

Tiger is good at hitting golf balls. Whether his marriage was a mess or he has manipulative character has nothing to do with that. We should enjoy watching him playing golf, and noting more. I do not go into the case of Lance, because his "offense" is related to his sport itself...


Very well put. I agree completely on both cases.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby observer2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Tuariki wrote:
Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc

I was wondering What Nike product was Pistorius endorsing?
Obviously it wasn't footwear.
Is Nike into the manufacturing of bullets?


"The bullet in the chamber" ad..
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more- ... -1.1264274
observer2
 
Posts: 473
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:47 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I find it absolutely abhorent and dangerous to compare other cheaters such Tiger, Armstrong and innumberable other cheating athletes in T&FN/NFL/MBL/NBA etc with a man that murdered someone. To even discuss the various societal ills in sport in the same breath as murder is a horrible wrong in itself, does more damage to society than cheating in a bike race.
user4
 
Posts: 1434
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby DrJay » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

observer2 wrote: About his "sportsmanship" and mentality this says a lot:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 96154.html


I hadn't heard this before. From the above link:

"Tom Hanks started bidding for the film rights to the story of the young South African with the J-shaped prosthetics. The plot was compelling: the first double-amputee to compete against able-bodied athletes in an Olympic Games, who was listed in 2012 by Time magazine among the world's 100 most-influential people."
DrJay
 
Posts: 5483
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby JumboElliott » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

user4 wrote:I find it absolutely abhorent and dangerous to compare other cheaters such Tiger, Armstrong and innumberable other cheating athletes in T&FN/NFL/MBL/NBA etc with a man that murdered someone. To even discuss the various societal ills in sport in the same breath as murder is a horrible wrong in itself, does more damage to society than cheating in a bike race.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-wGd2NtdnflY/U ... apping.jpg
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2121
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby JRM » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:08 pm

I think the other thread entitled "Pistorius implicated in murder" is more appropriately named, and seems to be the one taking off.

What a shameful and offensive title for this one. I think gh will do us a favor in closing it.
JRM
 
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: Woodland Hills, CA

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby odelltrclan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:32 pm

user4 wrote:I find it absolutely abhorent and dangerous to compare other cheaters such Tiger, Armstrong and innumberable other cheating athletes in T&FN/NFL/MBL/NBA etc with a man that murdered someone. To even discuss the various societal ills in sport in the same breath as murder is a horrible wrong in itself, does more damage to society than cheating in a bike race.


As opposed to "applause" as someone else has done I would ask a question. Shouldn't we wait and find out the details before labeling someone a hardened criminal and murderer? No one on this board knows what happened at his home. His girlfriend was tweeting only yesterday about finding a nice surprise for Valentine's day. I am more apt to believe it was an unfortunate accident than a murder.

I have had yelling at my home once upon a time whether in a spout with a wife, or being angry at kids. I have heard some from other neighbhors. I can only imagine living in adjoining apartments. I think most of us have the good sense of at least waiting to find out accurate details before comparing Pistorius with anyone. What happened is a tragedy regardless of how it happened.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Pistorius - big oops.

Postby gh » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm

JRM wrote:I think the other thread entitled "Pistorius implicated in murder" is more appropriately named, and seems to be the one taking off.

What a shameful and offensive title for this one. I think gh will do us a favor in closing it.


gh has been en route from heaven on earth to NYC for most of the day.
gh
 
Posts: 46319
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:30 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Dave wrote:


How many big name endorsers have gone down in flames lately? Armstrong, Pistorius, Paterno, various baseball players, Tiger Woods, etc


Woods, Armstrong and Pistorius? The loonies are going full board....

Woods had an affair. Who cares. Armstrong was taking EPO, another who cares in the world of cycling.

And then we have a guy who murders someone and somehow they are all the same.....


I never meant to equate their behavior. I am perfectly aware of the difference in magnitude of their misdeeds. I only meant to say that nike's recent record with endorsers has not worked we'll for them.
Dave
 
Posts: 2119
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:34 am

So he's been to court and the charge is premeditated murder. There is no evidence of a break in and nobody else at the residence

Apparently she was shot through a bathroom door, as if she was trying to get away from him !!
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby peach77 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:48 am

I've read this thread (and many others in other places) over the past 24 hours and I really don't know where to start. Firstly, I think it's a sad indictment of our society that this thread has gotten this far with scarce mention of the victim. Yes, he's a celebrity, but a WOMAN HAS DIED! I can't believe people are sat here speculating whether this is all evidence of him being on drugs when we're talking about someone's life.

I also find it disgusting that people are so ready to rip his character apart now when they weren't 48 hours ago. There's an article in the Telegraph newspaper today about Oscar being some sort of gun loving monster- well, it's easy to say now, right? For a quick buck and a cheap headline. I hate this muck raking, what does it achieve?

Personally, I'm devastated. Whatever anyone else believed about him, I truly believe that at the beginning it wasn't about the superstar lifestyle or wanting to win (able bodied) medals- it was about a human being wanting to be accepted by other human beings as the same rather than a freakshow. The terrible thing about this, of course, is that now he's made himself the biggest freakshow of them all...

So, so tragic...
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby mump boy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 am

While i agree with all of the above, i think there is the hint of the Jimmy Saville/Lance Armstrong to this story. It is only now that we get a chance to see behind the massive PR machine that some of the truth may actually come out and people feel safe enough to comment on previous behaviours. People have tried to tell these stories before but have been silenced and threatened with legal action

Where did the initial story about him thinking she was a burglar come from ?? it certainly didn't come from the police or any authorities. It sounds like some very smart spin to me.
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Pistorius implicated in a murder

Postby peach77 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:22 am

Oh I agree with that too but, as with the Jimmy Savile stuff, there is an awful lot of stuff coming out that's nonsense from the press...that was more my point
peach77
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:26 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests