Hadsell

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Hadsell

Postby Master Po » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:22 am

26mi235 wrote:I suspect that having had a drink and then driving violates UT rules but is not necessarily illegal, but that driving with more than that does, so that legal culpability is a problem for him. If he did this 'repeatedly' it is very likely that on at least one of those occasions he was legally drunk when he drove the team, especially since he drank often and people that do think that they are not over that line when, indeed they are.

Of course, compared to Oscar P, his actions are not so bad....

Well, no, he isn't an accused murderer, but I think there is much more to say about any athletics coach -- or other adult in a responsible situation as a driver of a vehicle carrying those students -- or really, anyone -- who is knowingly and willingly compromised in terms of his ability to pilot that vehicle, and who does so anyway, because -- you know -- he's got things under control. The fact that he was -- maybe -- under the legal limit doesn't mean that such actions weren't wrong, plain and simple. Driving in that condition compromised the safety of the passengers. And the fact that Hadsell is trying to defend himself by stating that he didn't have that much to drink, that he was OK to drive, etc. is clear evidence of his problems. The fact is, there is compelling evidence that he did lots of things that compromised the well-being of his athletes. And all he can say is basically this: "Well, we won a lot, too." and "Sure, maybe I was a megalomaniacal creep, but it wasn't that bad." One doesn't have to be perfect, or a saint, or anything like that to say this: Hadsell should be ashamed of himself.
Master Po

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

That even a comparison is alluded to that includes killing someone should indicate that I think this is a big issue and he wants us to think it is not too much of one --- he has been wrong before, too.
26mi235

Postby Master Po » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:50 am

26mi235 wrote:That even a comparison is alluded to that includes killing someone should indicate that I think this is a big issue and he wants us to think it is not too much of one --- he has been wrong before, too.

Just following up on this as I read a bit more on Hadsell. I agree w you, and was simply trying to state it as strongly as I possibly could. (And, as I read more, this seems even more true, as if we needed any more of Hadsell to convince us further.)
Master Po

Postby Daisy » Thu May 02, 2013 11:54 am

Britain's Hadsell gets 16 years in jail.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/bri ... -16-years/
Daisy

Postby 26mi235 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Hadsells coaching girls teams -- apparently not a good combination. What are the chances that two of the most public cases in 2013 would be named Hadsell?
26mi235

Postby Daisy » Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm

26mi235 wrote:
Daisy wrote:Britain's Hadsell gets 16 years in jail.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/bri ... -16-years/

Hadsells coaching girls teams -- apparently not a good combination. What are the chances that two of the most public cases in 2013 would be named Hadsell?

No, sorry for the confusion, the British buy is called Benson. But it's amazing how similar to the two stories appear at first glance.
Daisy