Pope Benedict resigns -- Francis I elected [update]

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Pope Benedict resigns -- Francis I elected [update]

Postby Pego » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:57 am

Conor Dary wrote:
dj wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
gh wrote:when's the last time a new papa was creative enough to go with a name that earned him a "I" ?

JP I, who had a rather short time as pope. And murdered in Godfather III.

JP I was elected in 1978. But that was a bit of a cheat as his was the combination of two popular names, John (23 of them) and Paul (6), who were JP's predecessors.

Before that, you go back to 913, when Pope Lando was selected. His name was so unusual that it was never again used.

Wasn't Lando a Bond villain in Thunderball?

That was Largo. Lando was Han Solo's friend in The empire strikes back.
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 am

Pego wrote:

That was Largo. Lando was Han Solo's friend in The empire strikes back.

Yes, that is right. Thanks for the update. :D
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:14 am

Not to be confused with Londo Mollari, the devious Centauri from Babylon 5.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 am

Or, Michael Landon, aka Little Joe Cartright of Bonanza.former javelin HSR holder, 193-4. (1954)
lonewolf

Postby Master Po » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 am

lonewolf wrote:Or, Michael Landon, aka Little Joe Cartright of Bonanza.former javelin HSR holder, 193-4. (1954)

Not to take this thread off in a new direction, but -- well, now that we've met the new Pope, perhaps that's settled for a while -- so...I never knew Little Joe was a javelin thrower! Hoss must have been a pretty good thrower, too, or at least could have been one. I never realized that Bonanza was a track & field show...for all this time, I thought it was about modern pentathlon. :)
Master Po

Postby dj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 am

Conor Dary wrote:
dj wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
gh wrote:when's the last time a new papa was creative enough to go with a name that earned him a "I" ?

JP I, who had a rather short time as pope. And murdered in Godfather III.

JP I was elected in 1978. But that was a bit of a cheat as his was the combination of two popular names, John (23 of them) and Paul (6), who were JP's predecessors.

Before that, you go back to 913, when Pope Lando was selected. His name was so unusual that it was never again used.

A cheat! This must be a first for dj who usually is above slanderous behavior. :lol:
But I stand corrected.

Wasn't Lando a Bond villain in, maybe, Thunderball?

Actually, I just waited long enough to have learned about Pope Lando this morning. And remembering the year he was elected wasn't difficult as it was 1100 years ago. Before Lando there was a bunch of popes with one-time names, but I don't know/remember any of them.

J23 and P6 one remembers because they're so recent, or at least during my lifetime.
dj

Postby dj » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:51 am

lonewolf wrote:Or, Michael Landon, aka Little Joe Cartright of Bonanza.former javelin HSR holder, 193-4. (1954)

Michael Landon grew up in Collingswood, N.J., as Eugie Orowitz (pronounced as in loogie, but I don't know the spelling for certain).

He was the farthest throwing high school javelin thrower in 1954, at 193-4, but that was neither the national nor high school record.

In fact, lonewolf should know of fellow Oklahoman Bob Peoples, who was runner-up in the AAU javelin as a high school senior in 1937. Peoples threw 220-1 that day, and earlier in the year had thrown the NFHS-accepted record of 219-0.

Coincidence or not, both Peoples and Orowitz went to USC.
dj

Postby lonewolf » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 pm

dj, is correct, of course. I did not bother to look it up. I knew of Peoples from Oklahoma City Classen HS, at the time the prestigue school in OKC, who, I believe, set the HS record circa 1937. The "fact" that Little Joe broke Peoples record was probably from a PR release.
Am I correct in "remembering" Terry Bradshaw held the HSR at one time? Or is that more PR flack?
lonewolf

Postby bambam » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:39 pm

dj wrote:when's the last time a new papa was creative enough to go with a name that earned him a "I" ?

Wall Street Journal had a chart about Popes using a name for the first time, going all the way back to Peter. Difficult to read, but Lando in 913 is correct. Prior to him there were lots of them, which you'd expect in the early years.
bambam

Postby bambam » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:41 pm

lonewolf wrote:Am I correct in "remembering" Terry Bradshaw held the HSR at one time? Or is that more PR flack?

That is correct - Bradshaw set the record in high school, which was broken by another pretty good NFLer - not a quarterback, however - Russ Francis, best known as a tight end for the Patriots.
bambam

Postby JRM » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:22 pm

bambam wrote:
dj wrote:when's the last time a new papa was creative enough to go with a name that earned him a "I" ?

Wall Street Journal had a chart about Popes using a name for the first time, going all the way back to Peter. Difficult to read, but Lando in 913 is correct.

Interestingly, my wife and I watched "The Empire Strikes Back" on Tuesday night, unaware of this appropriate connection! Perhaps a omen foreshadowing the next day's events.

And, of course, 1100 years was a long time ago... (but not in a galaxy far, far away).
JRM

Postby gh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:21 pm

bambam wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Am I correct in "remembering" Terry Bradshaw held the HSR at one time? Or is that more PR flack?

That is correct - Bradshaw set the record in high school, which was broken by another pretty good NFLer - not a quarterback, however - Russ Francis, best known as a tight end for the Patriots.

Actually, Bradshaw's record was broken by Mark Murro; Francis broke Murro's record.
gh

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:46 am

His next trip home should be interesting since it turns out that his bitterest enemy if the President.

In 2010, President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner led a battle to pass a bill to legalize gay marriage.

Francis, then archbishop of Buenos Aires, put himself right in the middle of the fight, calling the proposed legislation "a destructive attack on God's plan."

With a front-page counterpunch, the president said the church possessed "attitudes reminiscent of medieval times and the Inquisition."

The bill eventually became law, and Francis left the battlefield defeated.

But some supporters hold it up as evidence of his traditionalist views.

Perhaps it's no surprise Kirchner gave Francis a rather dry congratulations after his election, said Rosendo Fraga, an Argentine political analyst.

The president failed to even mention that Francis is the first pope from Argentina or the Western Hemisphere, a signal that her government may feel at odds with the church.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/14/world/ame ... index.html
jazzcyclist

Postby bambam » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 pm

gh wrote:
bambam wrote:

Actually, Bradshaw's record was broken by Mark Murro; Francis broke Murro's record.

I bow to EGH's superior knowledge on this
bambam

Next