Twitter Generation

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Twitter Generation

Postby Friar » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm

Five Twitter observations:

1. After ignoring it for yrs (?) I got interested last spring. Informational value is low, entertainment value --if you know where to look-- considerable. Where else can you find out that Jordan Hasay ate two pizzas in one sitting?

2. I'm not a member and don't intend to be but it seems to have dusted Facebook (also not a mem) from what I'm seeing as the social-media of choice?

3. I look in on a few guys but most everyone else is female.

4. If you're posting up to 3 photos of yourself a day I'd say that's borderline narcissism. More than that it's full-blown.

5. I promised someone --temp', up north-- I wouldn't look at their account. Now if I should find her on other pages from DC, Newport, Chicago, Boston... what can I do?
More college athletes seem to be getting told to limit access or some teams banned from using it entirely.

When a page like "Tracklegs" disappears, you miss it. Goodbye crazy LJ'er wherever you are.
Friar

Re: Twitter Generation

Postby jhc68 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:58 pm

Uh-well... I don't want to know about Jordan Hasay's pizza and I don't understand why anyone else would
jhc68

Postby lonewolf » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 pm

While I am not specifically interested in Jorday Hasay's eating habits, I am curious if that was two pizzas (want size?)or two slices of pizza. :?
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:57 am

When I first signed up for Twitter, I started following lots of athletes. I thought it would be interesting to see what they had to say about things. I soon found out that a lot of them tweet allmost exclusively information I don't care to devote the time to read about, including what they just ate (e.g., Jordan Hasay's pizza), where they are at every moment (airport arrivals and departures are common), and how they feel about Jesus (always positive).

If one is not careful, one can really waste an awful lot of time going through all that stuff, although I suppose if that stuff interests you, it's not a waste of time. Meanwhile, I haven't abandoned the medium because it can be a very good source of news and views about the sport. It's a relatively young medium, and I guess we all have to learn how to use it in a way that suits our interests and needs and does not burden our discretionary time.
tandfman