the Piers Morgan case [split]


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Daisy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Considering the fact that Morgan wants the U.S. to adopt the U.K.'s gun laws, I think their claims are justified.

The UK gun laws are far stricter than what he stated as the pre-ample to the interview. I paraphrase, he thinks 1) 'military style' semiautomatic weapons should be banned, 2) ban high capacity magazines, 3) Something along the lines of having a waiting period.

Banning the future sale of large magazines and closing the gun show loophole are politically doable. Banning the sale of semi-automatic weapons is not politically doable.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:15 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Banning the sale of semi-automatic weapons is not politically doable.

I'm assuming that the prefix of 'military style' means a subset of semiautomatic weapons. And, of course, that is where the loop holes will take the claws out of any meaningful legislation.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Daisy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Banning the sale of semi-automatic weapons is not politically doable.

I'm assuming that the prefix of 'military style' means a subset of semiautomatic weapons. And, of course, that is where the loopholes will render any legislation meaningless.

How do you define "military-style"? That is the central question. How do you write a law that bans weapons like this?

http://gunsformassaliens.files.wordpres ... 1/ar15.jpg

That doesn't also ban weapons like this?

http://delgranado.com/pictures/Alf%20pi ... %20742.jpg
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:39 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:How do you define "military-style"?

No idea, that was the term Morgan used.

jazzcyclist wrote:That is the central question. How do you write a law that bans weapons like this?
http://gunsformassaliens.files.wordpres ... 1/ar15.jpg

That doesn't also ban weapons like this?
http://delgranado.com/pictures/Alf%20pi ... %20742.jpg

For me the critical thing is rate of fire. I don't know how those two compare. Smaller magazines will definitely have an impact on rate of fire, so I can see why that is a primary target in the conversations on gun control.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

Daisy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:That is the central question. How do you write a law that bans weapons like this?
http://gunsformassaliens.files.wordpres ... 1/ar15.jpg

That doesn't also ban weapons like this?
http://delgranado.com/pictures/Alf%20pi ... %20742.jpg

For me the critical thing is rate of fire. I don't know how those two compare. Smaller magazines will definitely have an impact on rate of fire, so I can see why that is a primary target in the conversations on gun control.

Both weapons will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger and can take magazines of any size.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby Daisy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:28 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Both weapons will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger and can take magazines of any size.

How many shots do hunters need? How many shots does one need to defend their property? How many shots are required to fulfill the spirit of the second amendment?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby odelltrclan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 am

Daisy wrote: How many shots does one need to defend their property? How many shots are required to fulfill the spirit of the second amendment?


You can't theorize how many shots it will take in self-defense or in defending your property unless you can accurately predict how many may be used by those who are attempting to harm you or take your property. Those people are unlikely to be following any laws that attempt to curtail their usage of firearms.
Last edited by odelltrclan on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: You can't make this stuff up

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 am

Daisy wrote:How many shots do hunters need?

Most states have restrictions on the size of the magazines you can hunt with. I think its four in Losisiana, which most reasonable people would say is too little for self-defense purposes. By the way, I know someone whose wife hunts with an AR-15 because it has so little recoil and she would be in big trouble if she got caught with a 30-round magazine in the gun while she was out hunting.
Daisy wrote:How many shots does one need to defend their property? How many shots are required to fulfill the spirit of the second amendment?

That's what it all comes down too, not violating the "spirit of the Second Amendment".
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Piers Morgan case [split]

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:21 pm

I just stumbled upon the most informative and honest news piece I've ever seen in the MSM that explains the gun debate in a way that folks who are ignorant about guns can understand. Here's the link to the 1999 60 Minutes video:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7380236n

I have no comments to offer, but pay close attention at the 9:00 mark when they get to the crux of the matter.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10858
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: the Piers Morgan case [split]

Postby gh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:40 pm

sorry, but I've decided guns are now a third-rail topic and we'll not be entertaining those thoughts any further.
gh
 
Posts: 46319
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests