Would you go to Adam Lanza's funeral?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Would you go to Adam Lanza's funeral?

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Pego wrote:I am not going to discuss theology on this forum. Not Jesus, not the Pope.

That's a good idea but I thought you opened that can of worms when you seemed to speak disapprovingly of "Amish forgiveness".
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Pego wrote:I am not going to discuss theology on this forum. Not Jesus, not the Pope.

That's a good idea but I thought you opened that can of worms when you seemed to speak disapprovingly of "Amish forgiveness".

All right, this much and then I'll permanently shut up. I do not believe the sincerity of that "forgiveness." They did it because they believe in the Biblical code of conduct (exactly the one you mentioned). I shall say no more.
Pego

Postby TN1965 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:07 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Do you remember how the Amish reacted after their young schoolgirls were massacred?

Since the tragedy, people around the world have been inspired by the way the Amish expressed forgiveness toward the killer and his family. But while their acts of forgiveness were inspiring, they also caused a misperception that the Amish had quickly gotten over the tragedy.

Forgiving the Killer

Charles Roberts wasn't Amish, but Amish families knew him as the milk truck driver who made deliveries. Last month, it was announced that the Amish community had donated money to the killer's widow and her three young children.

It was one more gesture of forgiveness, gestures that began soon after the shooting.

Donald Kraybill, is a sociologist at nearby Elizabethtown College and co-author of Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy.

"I think the most powerful demonstration of the depth of Amish forgiveness was when members of the Amish community went to the killer's burial service at the cemetery," Kraybill says. "Several families, Amish families who had buried their own daughters just the day before were in attendance and they hugged the widow, and hugged other members of the killer's family."

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=14900930

Of course that schoolhouse shooting didn't generate the national media outrage and calls for sweeping gun control legislation that the Connecticut schoolgirl massacre did.

There are about two billion people in the world who call themselves Christians, but very few of them are Christ-like.

Did this killer's widow and children help him to commit his crime like Nancy Lanza did to her son?

If not, it is apples and oranges. I would have more sympathy for Nancy Lanza if she had been actually a victim.
TN1965

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:29 pm

TN1965 wrote:Did this killer's widow and children help him to commit his crime like Nancy Lanza did to her son?

If not, it is apples and oranges. I would have more sympathy for Nancy Lanza if she had been actually a victim.

Either you're unfamiliar with the details of Adam Lanza's crime or you're using some very convoluted and twisted logic if you're arguing that Nancy Lanza was a co-conspirator, and not a victim of her son's crime. :?

By the way, the gun debate thread has already been locked, so there's no need to revisit that topic.
jazzcyclist