a guide to the college bowl games

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

a guide to the college bowl games

Postby gh » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:17 am

guy in the local fishwrap assigns a watchability to rating to all 35 of the games rating from a 2.8 for the Armed Forces Bowl ("8:45 a.m. Dec. 29, ESPN - Rice (6-6) vs. Air Force (6-6): Unless you are mesmerized by the Falcons' triple-option, early Saturday mornings are better spent watching cartoons.") to 9.5 for the BCS Bowl.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/collegesports/art ... z2F9LTsERH,
gh

Re: a guide to the college bowl games

Postby Marlow » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:30 pm

After the BCS Bowl, looks about right

Fiesta Bowl, Oregon vs. Kansas State 8.6
Rose Bowl, Wisconsin vs. Stanford 7.9
Cotton Bowl, Texas A&M vs. Oklahoma 7.7

I'll watch the top 4, stem to stern (albeit on DVR). The rest, not so much.
Sugar and Orange? Stinky.
Marlow

Postby Tuariki » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:59 pm

The Fiesta Bowl should be called the "Chokers Bowl" as they should have been both playing 7 January
Tuariki

Postby mcgato » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:41 am

Actually, this looks to be the lowest ranked of them all:
"BBVA Compass Bowl, 10 a.m. Jan. 5, ESPN - Pittsburgh (6-6) vs. Mississippi (6-6): Why two teams without winning records are allowed to play this late in the bowl season remains a mystery. Move along, nothing to see here in Birmingham, Ala. 2.1"
mcgato

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:52 pm

Toledo's bowl game was on last night while I was out to dinner. While a Toledo native and resident, I graduated from rival Bowling Green and I detest the Univ. of Toledo with an all-consuming passion. Yet I cared so little about their game that I didn't even look up to see that they got thrashed. (Way to go, Rockets.)

When I was in college only one MAC team got to play in a bowl. This made it a big deal to play in one instead of just another game at the end of an average season. I remember going out and helping tear down goal posts at Perry Stadium because the team won its bowl game, four time zones away.
Mighty Favog