Musicians and small planes.

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Musicians and small planes.

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:26 am

Not a good combo....

...with the death of singer Jenni Rivera in a small private plane in Mexico, it reminds me again how common these of musical acts in small planes seem to be. It’s almost like a recording industry cliche, though certainly I don’t mean that to diminish the personal tragedy involved.

I also get that it’s very difficult to get a real sense of ‘commonness’ with high profile events spanning periods of many decades.

But just off the top of my head:

Buddy Holly

Richie Valens

‘The Big Bopper’

Otis Redding

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Ricky Nelson

John Denver

Patsy Cline

Jim Croce

Aaliyah

Half of Lynyrd Skynyrd

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2 ... ?ref=fpblg
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Musicians and small planes.

Postby lonewolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:02 am

Reba McIntires band.
lonewolf

Postby tandfman » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

Musicians die when bigger plans crash, too. William Kapell was in a DC-6. Far from a 747, but not a small plane.
tandfman

Postby gh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:32 pm

The Big Bopper wasn't supposed to be on the Holly plane, but a member of the band gave up his seat so he could it because the Bopper had a bad cold. Had that not happened, what legendary career never would have happened?

(another question: if Bopper hadn't been on that plane, would he even be remembered today?)
gh

Postby marknhj » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:56 pm

Every time I've been in a small plane I've been terrified; I'm amazed more don't crash.

I'm not sure which was my worse experience: flying from John Wayne to San Jose with significant turbulence all the way, or flying straight at whatever the main mountain in Kuai is called in a pissing down rain storm while "sightseeing" past the windscreen wipers.
marknhj

Postby Blues » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm

Supposedly Jimmie Vaughan and his wife were also supposed to be on the helicopter that crashed and killed his brother Stevie Ray, but 3 members of Eric Clapton's management had already grabbed seats on the 3rd helicopter that was supposed to be reserved for the Vaughans, and with only 1 seat remaining, Stevie asked his brother Jimmie and Jimmie's wife for the last seat, since he wanted to get back to Chicago from Alpine Valley in Wisconsin as soon as possible, and didn't want to wait and ride in the 4th helicopter...

Stevie Ray Vaughan is definitely one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

Blues

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

gh wrote:The Big Bopper wasn't supposed to be on the Holly plane, but a member of the band gave up his seat so he could it because the Bopper had a bad cold. Had that not happened, what legendary career never would have happened?

(another question: if Bopper hadn't been on that plane, would he even be remembered today?)

Wasn't it Waylon Jennings?

As to the second question, I doubt it.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby dj » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:54 am

Glenn Miller
dj

Postby tandfman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:25 am

gh wrote:(another question: if Bopper hadn't been on that plane, would he even be remembered today?)

I think the answer is yes, for three reasons. First, if hadn't been on that plane, he presumably would have continued to be productive. Second, Chantilly Lace alone would be rememberd. Third (and not necessarily last), his name alone would be memorable. (Do you think Lolo would be as well known if her name were Mary?
tandfman

Postby tandfman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 am

More for the list:

Buddy Clark (from lonewolf's era)

Grace Moore (another oldie)

Jacques Thibaud (and another)
tandfman

Postby TN1965 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:28 am

tandfman wrote:Musicians die when bigger plans crash, too. William Kapell was in a DC-6. Far from a 747, but not a small plane.

Kyu Sakamoto (known for "sukiyaki" song) also died in a big commercial plane crash.
TN1965