Favorite T&F novel you've read?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Favorite T&F novel you've read?

Postby DrJay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 pm

"Again to Carthage," John Parker's sequel to "Once a Runner" is almost as good, but is more about life than about T&F.
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:04 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Zowie. It is on Amazon.

I remember Christman had a boatload of copies stored in Boulder back in the 90's.

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Runner-Pau ... 098473998X

Amazon is so amazing. Matt Carpenter, Colorado Springs mountain runner extrordinaire, told me about this one years ago but I never sought it out. Went to Amazon a minute ago to read the plotline and about 20 seconds later had submitted my order. "Only 6 left in stock" right now.
DrJay

Postby Conor Dary » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:32 pm

DrJay wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Zowie. It is on Amazon.

I remember Christman had a boatload of copies stored in Boulder back in the 90's.

http://www.amazon.com/Purple-Runner-Pau ... 098473998X

Amazon is so amazing. Matt Carpenter, Colorado Springs mountain runner extrordinaire, told me about this one years ago but I never sought it out. Went to Amazon a minute ago to read the plotline and about 20 seconds later had submitted my order. "Only 6 left in stock" right now.

By the way, Christman's father was the Chicago Cardinals' quarterback when they won the NFL title back in 1947 and the announcer for NBC for Super Bowl I.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Brian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:00 am

A tie between "The Front Runner" and "The Girl Who Wanted to Run the Boston Marathon."

:]

[Both were given to me at separate times by a hysterically-laughing fiancee. She haunted old bookstores regularly.]
Brian

Postby DrJay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:48 am

Agree with Conor. The Purple Runner's not bad. IMHO, though, it doesn't hold a candle to Once a Runner. I'm 3/4 of the way through it. However, reading a couple of chapters in bed this a.m. motivated me to get out and go for a 30' run in 10F weather.
DrJay

Postby trackstar » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:43 am

Master Po wrote:Interesting list, aaronk -- many titles new to me. Here is one not on your list -- probably familiar to many on here.

The Olympian, Brian Glanville (1969)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Glanville#Novels

It's been a long time since I have read this one, but I was very impressed by it and would recommend it to anyone seeking Track & Field/Athletics-related novels.

Is the Olympian the one where the crazed coach tries to convince his runner that he can break the two-hour marathon, and the dazed runner trots into the stadium and then literally hits a wall?
trackstar

Postby lonewolf » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:51 pm

trackstar wrote:[Is the Olympian the one where the crazed coach tries to convince his runner that he can break the two-hour marathon, and the dazed runner trots into the stadium and then literally hits a wall?

I don't remember the name but I remember the movie.. the coach had the runner running up hill carrying the coach on his back....which I thought was pretty silly,...
lonewolf

Postby Per Andersen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 pm

lonewolf wrote:I don't remember the name but I remember the movie.. the coach had the runner running up hill carrying the coach on his back....which I thought was pretty silly,...

Elliott once carried Cerutty on his back in that 80ft sandhill on the beach at Portsea.
Per Andersen

Postby Master Po » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:07 am

trackstar wrote:
Master Po wrote:Interesting list, aaronk -- many titles new to me. Here is one not on your list -- probably familiar to many on here.

The Olympian, Brian Glanville (1969)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Glanville#Novels

It's been a long time since I have read this one, but I was very impressed by it and would recommend it to anyone seeking Track & Field/Athletics-related novels.

Is the Olympian the one where the crazed coach tries to convince his runner that he can break the two-hour marathon, and the dazed runner trots into the stadium and then literally hits a wall?

Not familiar with the story you mentioned here; in any case, it is not The Olympian, which is about a miler.
Master Po

Postby tyche » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:05 am

The marathoner running into the wall in the stadium is from The Games.
tyche

Postby trackstar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:20 am

tyche wrote:The marathoner running into the wall in the stadium is from The Games.

Thanks! That was driving me crazy trying to remember. Not exactly a tough title to remember, but I couldn't.
trackstar

Postby trackstar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:24 am

tyche wrote:The marathoner running into the wall in the stadium is from The Games.

Tyche, who wrote The Games? Impossible to find references online because Googling "Olympics" and "The Games" just produces tons of predictable results not about the novel.
trackstar

Postby aaronk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:10 pm

trackstar wrote:

Tyche, who wrote The Games? Impossible to find references online because Googling "Olympics" and "The Games" just produces tons of predictable results not about the novel.

It's "The Games" by Hugh Atkinson, from 1968.
It's 446 pages in paperback, and is available used for a penny (!!), plus $3.99 shipping, by Amazon.
But you must type "The Games by Hugh Atkinson", not just the title, into Amazon's books search browser, otherwise you won't get it!!

BTW, it was one of the books I listed in my initial post, but I didn't have the author's first name then!!
aaronk