The Whisky Hall of Fame

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

The Whisky Hall of Fame

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:11 am

I see Paul Tergat has been inducted into the Johnny Walker HoF . . . .

Nairobi, Kenya: Former World marathon record holder Paul Tergat has been named to the Johnnie Walker whisky’s hall of fame which shares and celebrates the life stories of some of the world’s most inspirational men through the global ‘Walk With Giants’ campaign.

Shouldn't it be called the "(Knee)Walk With Giants" campaign? :P
Marlow

Re: The Whisky Hall of Fame

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:44 am

Wow I thought this might be a thread about our favorite single malts. I like Laphroaig. Nice peaty malt. Neat of course.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby gh » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:08 am

For me, the standard is The Macallan (despite the pretenious Ohio State usage of the leading article). Something about whisky (not to be confused with whiskey) aged in sherry casks, eh?

A group of us hardcores have what we call "the Macallan rule" which is that a shot (neat, as you say), should never cost more than a dollar per year. Outside of the big cities, you can certainly still find 12-year-old for 12 or less, but 18 basically jumped the shark to 30-plus a few years back.

Great track-related story (well, relatively speaking). Two years ago at the NCAA, staying at the Sheraton West Des Moines we were thrilled to find Mac 12 for only $9.50. When the bill came, there was a line item for "no ice" with a $1.50 surcharge, so it was actually $11.

The concept is that they pour to X-line in the glass, and if there's no ice, you get more Scotch!
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:32 pm

That dollar a year is a good idea. I agree the 18 year olds are not worth the really huge jump in price. Smoother---sometimes, I prefer the 10 year Laphroaig over the 18 year, however the 18 year Glenmorangie is quite a bit better than the 10 year, another of my favorites---they are just too much.

Never stayed at the Sheraton in West Des Moines, though I have been to the nearby Hampton a couple of times. That really is nutty on the ice thing. So they put the ice in and then fill it to the line? Unless the ice cubes are the size of BBs that is quite a ripoff. The 1.50 surcharge is well worth it. Frankly, I have never heard of such a thing, but I have never had a Scotch in West Des Moines either...I wonder how they price a dry Sapphire Martini?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.