Music: the greatest generation.

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Music: the greatest generation.

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:32 am

lonewolf wrote:Salvatore Dali

Surprise, surprise (not) - my favorite artist! :D
Marlow

Postby preston » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:37 am

Pollock, bluegrass or acid rock, pig farm
preston

Postby bad hammy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:51 am

I'm reminded of the joke about how they came up with a new form of music that combines country with rap and called it crap . . .
bad hammy

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:My concept of hell is being locked in a room painted by DeKooning, listening to rap, with a smell of Subway.

Ooooh - fun game: my hell is being locked in a room with (painter), (music genre), (restaurant smell).

preston wrote:Pollock, bluegrass or acid rock, pig farm

Ha! I imagine few us choose to eat at a pig farm.
Marlow

Postby preston » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:44 am

Marlow wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:My concept of hell is being locked in a room painted by DeKooning, listening to rap, with a smell of Subway.

Ooooh - fun game: my hell is being locked in a room with (painter), (music genre), (restaurant smell).

Marlow, I didn't follow you because I believe you got it wrong. I don't believe that Pego meant the restaurant; I believe he meant the underground travel medium (and the general nausea it can ellicit). Now, you may have known that and changed the "game" to your criteria; however, I made my contrasts in the spirit of Pego not Marlow. You're welcome to switch to follow us; I think ours is better, anyway.

Also, did you notice that "lonewolf" only dealt with the smell and not from where the smell came?
preston

Postby Blues » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:15 am

preston wrote:
Marlow wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Marlow, I didn't follow you because I believe you got it wrong. I don't believe that Pego meant the restaurant; I believe he meant the underground travel medium (and the general nausea it can ellicit). Now, you may have known that and changed the "game" to your criteria; however, I made my contrasts in the spirit of Pego not Marlow. You're welcome to switch to follow us; I think ours is better, anyway.

Also, did you notice that "lonewolf" only dealt with the smell and not from where the smell came?

Although I didn't post a reply, if Pego meant the transportation system when he referred to Subway, then I misinterpreted just like Marlow did... The fact that he capitalized the word "Subway", which usually wouldn't have been capitalized if he was referring to a general means of transportation, made me think that Pego meant the sandwich chain... :oops:
Blues

Postby Pego » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:32 am

Yes, I meant the sandwich chain, to call it a restaurant is an abomination :evil: . No rules to this game, though. What is hell for you is all that matters.
Pego

Postby preston » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:55 am

Marlow, you have my apology, I clearly read it wrong. ok, outdoor food market in China.
preston

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 pm

preston wrote:ok, outdoor food market in China.

Never been there, but yes, I can imagine that the collision of aromas is overwhelming.
Marlow

Postby lovetorun » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:02 pm

Back to the thread topic...I'd also add to my 1970's favorites, America...the soft rock group...had a unigue sound and some great songs. Also agree with Tafnut...that rap isn't music.
lovetorun

Postby no one » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Marlow wrote:Never been there

Never been to Spain, but I kinda like the ....
no one

Postby DrJay » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:04 am

kuha wrote:
marknhj wrote:There are great bands and there is great music to enjoy in every decade. Unless your ears are closed to new experiences or your habit so ingrained, and your imagination so inhibited, you cannot not listen to your personal favorite oldies.

It's totally true. All it takes is interest enough to do a little searching and then simply listening.

The only difference is that now you have to search. Back then it came to you, like it or not. Now all that comes to you is Justin Bieber and other musical blather.
DrJay

Postby SQUACKEE » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:53 am

What the 60-70'd had that you dont see much anymore is singer-songwriters. Great artists who write, play and sing their own music and in the process create masterpieces.

If I had to guess the score between then and now in this category it would be a 100 to one?
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby kuha » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 am

SQUACKEE wrote:What the 60-70'd had that you dont see much anymore is singer-songwriters. Great artists who write, play and sing their own music and in the process create masterpieces.

If I had to guess the score between then and now in this category it would be a 100 to one?

But you absolutely do see this in the vibrant level of activity just below the upper "pop" crust of the music biz. The problem is in defining "masterpieces" as, say, the Beatles' catalogue. For a variety of reasons, that era--that is, truly original material, in huge quantity, played on every radio station and known to everyone of the day--is probably gone. But that's more a matter of the dynamics of the marketplace and the audience than of any lack of present-day creativity.
kuha

Postby TN1965 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:12 pm

SQUACKEE wrote:What the 60-70'd had that you dont see much anymore is singer-songwriters. Great artists who write, play and sing their own music and in the process create masterpieces.

If you mean 1960-79, then you have to compare that to a 20 year span up to today. (1993-2012)

And there have been plenty of great singer-songwriters in the last 20 years, just like in 60s and 70s. While it is true that you have to search for them, it is also far easier to search today compared to '60s and '70s.
TN1965

Postby Vielleicht » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:07 am

Marlow wrote:
preston wrote:ok, outdoor food market in China.

Never been there, but yes, I can imagine that the collision of aromas is overwhelming.

You bet!
Incidentally, Renoir, death metal, barbecue.
Vielleicht

Postby SQUACKEE » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:14 am

TN1965 wrote:

If you mean 1960-79, then you have to compare that to a 20 year span up to today. (1993-2012)

And there have been plenty of great singer-songwriters in the last 20 years, just like in 60s and 70s. While it is true that you have to search for them, it is also far easier to search today compared to '60s and '70s.

In my experience not remotely true, I still say singer/song writers is today mostly a lost art.
SQUACKEE

Location: Heaven-In front of stereo listenin to re-mastered Beatles

Postby TN1965 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:02 am

SQUACKEE wrote:
TN1965 wrote:And there have been plenty of great singer-songwriters in the last 20 years, just like in 60s and 70s. While it is true that you have to search for them, it is also far easier to search today compared to '60s and '70s.

In my experience not remotely true, I still say singer/song writers is today mostly a lost art.

Then that means you are not searching hard enough. And that's okay. You don't have to.
TN1965

Postby scottmitchell74 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:19 pm

I'd say 95% of what I listen to would be classified as Heavy Metal...all the way from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica (aka bands this board might have heard of) to all kinds of Metal from the 90s,00s, and continuing - Thrash, Death, Black, Power, Traditional, Viking/Folk, etc...metal Every year I'm amazed at the new bands and new albums from old bands that come out and blow me away. The best time is...now!
scottmitchell74

Postby gh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm right there head banging with you. One of only two CDs I carry around in my car is Metallica's And Justice For All, which after 25-odd years of use must be reaching the end of its life.

For a sub-genre, I very much like Pirate Metal (Alestorm and the like).

One of the great track moments ever was when the greatest Metallica cover band of all time, Apocalyptica, played at the opening ceremonies of the '05 World Championships in Helsinki.

ps--the other CD is Beethoven's 9th :mrgreen:
gh

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:07 pm

gh wrote:For a sub-genre, I very much like Pirate Metal (Alestorm and the like).

Made me look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

If I didn't think you weren't kidding, I would have seriously thought that to be a joke . . . :lol:
Marlow

Postby scottmitchell74 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:47 pm

For a sub-genre, I very much like Pirate Metal (Alestorm and the like).

Now we're talking!!! I have their first album and their most recent! Great band, very tongue-in-cheek lyrically, but serious musically.

Color me pleasantly surprised, gh.
scottmitchell74

Postby aaronk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:07 pm

TN1965 wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:
TN1965 wrote:And there have been plenty of great singer-songwriters in the last 20 years, just like in 60s and 70s. While it is true that you have to search for them, it is also far easier to search today compared to '60s and '70s.

Then that means you are not searching hard enough. And that's okay. You don't have to.

Three "singer-songwriters" (though they all play with back-up bands!) of the past 20 years....all women....are....

Alanis Morissette (Had MEGA-best selling CD --Jagged Little Pill--in 1995, and several CD's since. Writes mainly of love gone bad....with anger and retribution in her stark and eloquent lyrics.

Sheryl Crow has been around since the early 90's, I believe, and is fairly well known. She, IMO, has had a hit-or-miss career....and was once intimately aligned with Lance Armstrong!! My favorite song of hers is "Everyday is a Winding Road"....and I love the CD that song was on.

The third is Lucinda Williams...now close to 60 years old (57 or 58??)...whose biggest selling CD was "Car Wheels On a Gravel Road"!! There's a great 2-disc CD of a live concert she played at the Fillmore in SF in the late 90's!! A must....it includes versions of most of her "greatest hits" from the 90's. Her latest CD came out earlier this year.
aaronk

Postby gh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:58 pm

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:For a sub-genre, I very much like Pirate Metal (Alestorm and the like).

Made me look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

If I didn't think you weren't kidding, I would have seriously thought that to be a joke . . . :lol:

better example of their craft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggyC0FOz ... ure=fvwrel
gh

Postby gh » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:I'd say 95% of what I listen to would be classified as Heavy Metal...all the way from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Metallica (aka bands this board might have heard of) to all kinds of Metal from the 90s,00s, and continuing - Thrash, Death, Black, Power, Traditional, Viking/Folk, etc...metal Every year I'm amazed at the new bands and new albums from old bands that come out and blow me away. The best time is...now!

how about Sevendust?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff2JkINXTmM
gh

Postby scottmitchell74 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:26 am

Sevendutst is a fine band. Here's a quick cross-section of my favorite styles:

Blind Guardian (Germany) "Euro" Power Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AfNOKQdY-U

Cage (USA) "American" Power Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT7qIc5VXQg

Antestor (Norway) Black Metal

Mortification (Australia) Death Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=194oXgDULCg

Tyr (Faroe Islands) Viking Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRKqd4CLSmI

Warbeast (USA) - Thrash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVSyIWIfqlw

Crescent Shield (USA) "Traditional" Heavy Metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx0zuanWrRw

There are SO many bands out there. This short list is painfully limited, but it gives one an idea what I'm into and what's out there.
scottmitchell74

Postby Peter Michaelson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 pm

To tandfman:

Check out this "non-musician" in a different genre:

http://youtu.be/mub-gyuPFlw

Also, check out the "non-music" from 2:30 to 3:49:

http://youtu.be/r2S1I_ien6A
Peter Michaelson

Postby Peter Michaelson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:32 pm

Sorry, thought the "non-music" portion on the second selection was longer. Try this one:

http://youtu.be/BZ5B7yqDYbA

Or this one:

http://youtu.be/C1xeb125iaI

which is based on this music:

http://youtu.be/hr21HgBDQOk
Peter Michaelson

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:59 pm

Power Metal
Black Metal
Death Metal
Viking Metal
Thrash
Heavy Metal

Jeez, I feel so wimpy listening to this kind of crap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZobyPqMZ-I

:P
Marlow

Postby gh » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:01 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:....

Cage (USA) "American" Power Metal

Antestor (Norway) Black Metal

No wonder critics say all metal sounds the same.... it is the same!!! :mrgreen: (dupe URL)
gh

Postby cullman » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Metal is varied and nuanced. Perhaps it sounds the same to the untrained ear...OK, I'm lying.

Hey, Alestorm is coming to my hometown (Vancouver) this weekend and hits San Francisco on the 14th.
cullman

Postby tandfman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:33 am

As long as everyone is posting links to music on YouTube, I'll add this to the thread:

http://youtu.be/lXKDu6cdXLI

Isn't it nice when music is played before an appreciative audience! :)
tandfman

Postby gh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:49 am

After going to a Leonard Cohen concert last night (two 1.5-hour sets at age 78!), I'm reminded that he's right up there with Dylan as a poet.

Oh, and what a voice! (although some would construe it as lack thereof)
gh

Postby scottmitchell74 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:26 pm

Jeez, I feel so wimpy listening to this kind of crap:

I mentioned that Im 95% metal, which is true, but my other 5% is pretty varied and includes;

CCR
The Cranberries
4 Non Blondes
Hank Sr.
The Jackson 5
Jimi Hendrix

And a few others along those lines
scottmitchell74

Postby gh » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 pm

in recent years I've drifted away from metal a bit and now am a devotée of Celtic punk (although I not means consider myself any kind of particular guru of the genre).

I can listen to Flogging Molly, the Real McKenzies and the Dropkick Murphys endlessly. (even if it costs me another marriage :mrgreen: )
gh

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 pm

How about the Pogues?
Bruce Kritzler

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:53 pm

A couple others that I think of are also women: Natalie Merchant (10,000 Maniacs, then solo) and Nancy Griffith.
26mi235

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:56 pm

gh wrote:After going to a Leonard Cohen concert last night (two 1.5-hour sets at age 78!), I'm reminded that he's right up there with Dylan as a poet.

Oh, and what a voice! (although some would construe it as lack thereof)

I have always liked Leonard Cohen (when I was growing up we had a album or two from him, circa 1960). I think his recordings of late are a little too late for even his voice, however, and I prefer ones from at least the 1990s.
26mi235

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 pm

aaronk wrote:
TN1965 wrote:
SQUACKEE wrote:

Three "singer-songwriters" (though they all play with back-up bands!) of the past 20 years....all women....are....

Alanis Morissette (Had MEGA-best selling CD --Jagged Little Pill--in 1995, and several CD's since. Writes mainly of love gone bad....with anger and retribution in her stark and eloquent lyrics.

Sheryl Crow has been around since the early 90's, I believe, and is fairly well known. She, IMO, has had a hit-or-miss career....and was once intimately aligned with Lance Armstrong!! My favorite song of hers is "Everyday is a Winding Road"....and I love the CD that song was on.

The third is Lucinda Williams...now close to 60 years old (57 or 58??)...whose biggest selling CD was "Car Wheels On a Gravel Road"!! There's a great 2-disc CD of a live concert she played at the Fillmore in SF in the late 90's!! A must....it includes versions of most of her "greatest hits" from the 90's. Her latest CD came out earlier this year.

Conor Oberts (Bright Eyes), Adele, David Gray, Taylor Swift, Jewel, Amy Winehouse, Norah Jones, Ryan Adams, Tori Amos, Matt Nathanson and a boatload of others.

The issue isn't that singer songwriters aren't around. It's that the music industry is so fractured in the presentation that we are basically limited to our own soundtrack.
Dutra5

Postby rhymans » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:00 am

gh - is flogging molly a group or a euphemism?
rhymans

Next