Ultimate for RingNuts!

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Ultimate for RingNuts!

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:28 am

Solti's 100 birthday was 3 days ago and a new release of his Ring cycle is coming out next month. Included is a Blu-ray disc with the complete Ring on one disc presented as lossless 24-bit files. Zowie.

Lots of other goodies.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Ring-Nibel ... solti+ring
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Ultimate for RingNuts!

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 am

Just got this yesterday. An early celebration present! Came in this huge box. Lots of extras, plus the entire Ring on one disc, which I am listening to right now. A bit pricey, but a great deal considering how much you get.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby tandfman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:29 am

It's nice to know they've done that, but I'm going to pass. I have the Solti ring both on the original black vinyl and on CDs. I don't have a Blu-Ray player. Whew! Think of all the money I just saved! (Cuz you know that if I did have the right equipment, I'd have bought the new set in a heartbeat.)
tandfman

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:57 am

The BluRay disc is amazing. Great sound. And 14 hours on one disc. Put it on and listen to it all day. Literally.

For what it is worth, it is supposedly a limited edition. I have 3813 out of 7000.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:02 am

Now all I need to do is convince the Beauteous Babs that I deserve an Xmas present early!
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:42 pm

Recommended in today's Times.

Zachary Woolfe

WAGNER: ‘DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN’ Vocal soloists; Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by Georg Solti. (Decca 028947837022, 17 CDs, $318.37.)

The wonders of the “Solti ‘Ring,’ ” as it has long been abbreviated, are well known: the Technicolor sweep of the orchestra and the distinguished cast, including Birgit Nilsson, Hans Hotter and Gustav Neidlinger, among many others. Committed to disc from the late 1950s into the ’60s, it changed the scope of what was possible in the recording studio: the kind of project that would be impossible today, if only for financial reasons. Reissued now in a weighty boxed set (complete with documentaries, analysis and photographs) as part of Decca’s commemoration of what would have been Solti’s 100th birthday, it is a poignant reminder of how far the classical music record industry has fallen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/23/arts/ ... books.html
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:11 pm

Conor Dary wrote:Recommended in today's Times.

[list] Zachary Woolfe

WAGNER: ‘DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN’ Vocal soloists; Vienna Philharmonic, conducted by Georg Solti. (Decca 028947837022, 17 CDs, $318.37.).....Reissued now in a weighty boxed set (complete with documentaries, analysis and photographs) ...

"weighty" doesn't begin to cover it! the UPS guy got a hernia carrying the box from his truck to my front door. Holy shit.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:31 am

When the package arrived I thought I had ordered a 25 lb. bag of flour or something. I mean how much can 17 CDs and a few booklets weigh? Ho, ho...
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 pm

Conor Dary wrote:The BluRay disc is amazing. Great sound. And 14 hours on one disc. Put it on and listen to it all day. Literally.

For what it is worth, it is supposedly a limited edition. I have 3813 out of 7000.

3679 checking in! (wait... how did I buy weeks later than you and get an earlier number?!)
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:02 pm

gh wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:The BluRay disc is amazing. Great sound. And 14 hours on one disc. Put it on and listen to it all day. Literally.

3679 checking in! (wait... how did I buy weeks later than you and get an earlier number?!)

I rechecked and it is even worse than that. No. 3861!

3679. Maybe they knew you would succumb and saved one for you. :D

If TandFman finally breaks down, I will be curious what number he gets.

The Bluray is great. I have probably listened to it half dozen times already.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:03 pm

The tough part now is twofold: the first is to find somewhere where one can actually find sjitable space to accomodate such a box and the second is having that place where your significant other doesn't say, "not on my shelves you're not!"
gh

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 am

Conor Dary wrote:If TandFman finally breaks down, I will be curious what number he gets.

I'll tell you what. If you buy me a BluRay player, I'll break down and buy the Ring. :)

Having written that, I just took a look and found that they can be pretty cheap. And I imagine I can just de-commission the cassette deck that's currently occupying a shelf in my sound cabinet and which I haven't used in years), replace it with the BluRay. and run the BluRay through my current system. Hm-m-m-m. I may have to speak to Santa about that.
tandfman

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:31 am

tandfman wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:If TandFman finally breaks down, I will be curious what number he gets.

I'll tell you what. If you buy me a BluRay player, I'll break down and buy the Ring. :)

Having written that, I just took a look and found that they can be pretty cheap. And I imagine I can just de-commission the cassette deck that's currently occupying a shelf in my sound cabinet and which I haven't used in years), replace it with the BluRay. and run the BluRay through my current system. Hm-m-m-m. I may have to speak to Santa about that.

The Ring!, The Ring!

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S185-Blu ... ray+player
Conor Dary