more trivia

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: more trivia

Postby Law dude » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:14 pm

Law dudes used to "need" it too, and there are still a lot of legal maxims that are widely referred to by lawyers and judges. But you can learn the maxims, and what they mean, without learning a whole language.

I never learned Latin and it didn't inhibit my career one bit.
Law dude

Postby no one » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:21 pm

so remind me again what forum my post belonged??
no one

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:39 pm

bambam wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:Is Latin taught in many high schools these days?

Yes, most.

Why?

Because a student's schedule is determined by their parents, and many parents see the advantages of knowing a language that many English words come from. As I said, even my own mediocre skirmishes with Latin got me ahead of the curve in my communication skills.
Marlow

Postby gh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Marlow wrote:
tandfman wrote:Is Latin taught in many high schools these days?

Yes, most.

I'm guessing your response is colored by your experience, which isn't in the public school system. I did a quick google, and on one Q&A forum, found this response (from an avatar, so who knows about the credentials).

<<Many school districts are not hiring any teachers at all due to budget cuts, like in the city I live in, which is one of the top 20 in terms of population. Additionally, Latin is offered at very few secondary schools any more. (I've spoken at perhaps fifty schools in five different states and I always ask which foreign languages they offer. None, so far, has offered Latin or Greek.)

Reported statistics vary as to how many public schools in America even offer Latin - the figure I've heard is around 3%, and typically, enrollment isn't very high. A higher percentage of private - especially Catholic - schools offer at least a year or two, but again . . . it's not a popular class, and many schools have cut back. In Australia and the UK, reported figures range from 5% to 10%, but apparently many of the schools which "offer" it do so only online.>>

ps--that was a February 2010 posting.
gh

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:42 pm

I was a bit surprised by Marlow's response to my question, and not at all surprised by what gh found. That's what I would have guessed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mandarin is taught in as many US public high schools as Latin.
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:04 pm

tandfman wrote:I was a bit surprised by Marlow's response to my question, and not at all surprised by what gh found. That's what I would have guessed.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mandarin is taught in as many US public high schools as Latin.

Jacksonville (Duval County School Board) is not the premier school system in the state, and here's their language offerings:

http://www.duvalschools.org/static/abou ... erings.asp

As you can see, 7 of the 21 high schools offer Latin. ALL the larger private schools do.

I retract the 'most' statement and replace it with 'many'. Extrapolating this data, I'll say closer to 40% of FL schools do.
Marlow

Postby tandfman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:08 pm

And I'll retract some of my skepticism as to whether kids are really studying Latin these days in any substantial numbers. This article is 4 years old, but I have no reason to think the trend it describes has abated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/07/nyregion/07latin.html
tandfman

Postby gh » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:53 pm

I wonder if Florida might have a higher rate of Latin learners because the old standby, Spanish, doesn't apply to a significant portion of the populace? (no, not meant as an immigrant joke of any sort; just simple demographics)
gh

Previous