How do you pronounce Missouri?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: How do you pronounce Missouri?

Postby gh » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:54 am

Good friend went to Boise and he is dogmatic about its being Boysee.
gh

Postby Helen S » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:16 am

In western PA there are the towns of Duboise pronounced locally ad DEW-boys (accent on the dew) and Versailles (ver-SALES). I keep lobbying for the city in Michigan to be pronounced de-TWA.
Helen S

Postby preston » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:25 am

Helen S wrote:In western PA there are the towns of Duboise pronounced locally ad DEW-boys (accent on the dew) and Versailles (ver-SALES). I keep lobbying for the city in Michigan to be pronounced de-TWA.

On my way to Paris in 2003, I stopped through Minneapolis - I was Flying NWA. While talking with a French woman about my next stop (we hadn't yet learned that we were on the same flight) I said "de-TROYT". To which she remarked, "you mean de-TWA!".
preston

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:15 pm

Chickasha (Chick-a-shay), OK seems pretty straightforward to the locals but frequently comes out Chic-kash-a from outlanders.
lonewolf

Postby bambam » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:23 pm

Helen S wrote:In western PA there are the towns of Duboise pronounced locally ad DEW-boys (accent on the dew) and Versailles (ver-SALES). I keep lobbying for the city in Michigan to be pronounced de-TWA.

Although it is actually Dubois for the spelling.
bambam

Postby bambam » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:25 pm

preston wrote:

On my way to Paris in 2003, I stopped through Minneapolis - I was Flying NWA. While talking with a French woman about my next stop (we hadn't yet learned that we were on the same flight) I said "de-TROYT". To which she remarked, "you mean de-TWA!".

My wife used to be an international flight attendant for TWA (that'll date us). One of her favorite comments from a Frenchwoman on one flight, was, as the pilot announced they were flying over the Grand Tetons, "Is it true that you have mountains named after women's breasts?"
bambam

Postby tandfman » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:40 pm

She may not have been wrong, you know.

The origin of the current name is controversial. The most common explanation is that "Grand Teton" means "large teat" in French, named by either French-Canadian or Iroquois members of an expedition led by Donald McKenzie of the North West Company

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Teton
tandfman

Postby Helen S » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks for correction Bam2. Pronounciation is weird either way.
Helen S

Postby 18.99s » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:07 am

Marlow wrote:One of the funniest (and most bizarre) things that ever happened to me, happened in Towcester (pronounced "toaster" (!) ), England.

Reminds me of Worcester (pronounced "wooster").
18.99s

Postby tandfman » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:23 am

No, actually, as pointed out by preston earlier in this thread, it's more like wuh-sta. There are two r's in the name of the city as it's spelled, but no r's in the name as it's pronounced by locals. The first syllable, by the way, rhymes with book and the second syllable rhymes with uh.
tandfman

Previous