Level of exertion, cycling vs. distance running?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Level of exertion, cycling vs. distance running?

Postby KevinM » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:54 am

jazzcyclist wrote:To me that's a trick of the mentally weak.

All athletes have mental weaknesses, and we all use tricks to get around them, no matter the extent to which we might puff up our chests claiming otherwise.
KevinM

Postby skyin' brian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:03 am

so, which one of you should I blame if next time I go for a ride I fall down attempting to unclip while standing up?

I actually have seen a guy riding without a seat post before. His large chainring was pretty big.

Have you seen those elliptigo contraptions? Sort of an elliptical trainer/bicycle hybrid, maybe that would be good for someone that doesn't like to sit.
skyin' brian

Postby TN1965 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

skyin' brian wrote:Have you seen those elliptigo contraptions? Sort of an elliptical trainer/bicycle hybrid, maybe that would be good for someone that doesn't like to sit.

Elliptigo is used by many elite athletes as a cross training tool, including Lauren Fleshman, Julie Culley and Magdalena Lewy Boulet.

I have also heard that there are elliptigo races and Adam Goucher was a recent participant.
TN1965

Postby bambam » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:54 pm

skyin' brian wrote:I actually have seen a guy riding without a seat post before. His large chainring was pretty big.

About 10 years ago in New Hampshire was riding a mountainous course, and still had two 3,000 foot climbs, and about 12 miles, to go, when my front derailleur broke with the chain fixed on the big ring. That was a killer workout, trying to get over those climbs on the big ring. Had to walk a little bit of the second climb. Do not recommend this.
bambam

Postby Vielleicht » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 pm

I also tried using an eclliptical trainer to build cardiovascular fitness for a half-marathon race in order to save my knee injury from flaring before it. And half way into it my calves felt shot just as Mr. TN1965 did.
Vielleicht

Previous