Tyler Hamilton's Secret Race

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Tyler Hamilton's Secret Race

Postby Tuariki » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 am

Why should 26 read the book when it is clear from his postings he already knows the answers?
Tuariki

Postby Blues » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:53 pm

Unfortunately similar doping techniques to what Hamilton describes are also often used by athletes who choose to dope in our sport of T&F too.... I haven't been able to read the book, but did see some reviews/discussions, including the article in the link below.

http://thinksteroids.com/articles/tyler ... o-cycling/
Blues

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:12 pm

Tuariki wrote:Why should 26 read the book when it is clear from his postings he already knows the answers?

OK, I do not usually let this stuff bother me, but you can cease and desist now -- why do you think they call it micro-dosing?

Do you think that they take the performance-optimizing amount? And, if not, then why not if the testing in cycling is the same as the non-existent testing in boxing? Somehow, a mechanism where you can get some decent performance enhancing by being careful and keeping your dosage down is not exactly the same as a regime of no testing, period. If you think that they are identical, which is the position that you are arguing for in slamming my comment, then please let us all know exactly how they can get the same doping effects as if they were completely unconstrained in their doping regime. I have never heard anyone credibly claim that is true, but you apparently do.
26mi235

Postby meninblack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:01 am

Blues wrote:Unfortunately similar doping techniques to what Hamilton describes are also often used by athletes who choose to dope in our sport of T&F too.

Are you speculating here or do you have some specific evidence to back up this claim?
meninblack

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:30 am

meninblack wrote:
Blues wrote:Unfortunately similar doping techniques to what Hamilton describes are also often used by athletes who choose to dope in our sport of T&F too.

Are you speculating here or do you have some specific evidence to back up this claim?

I've heard my share of first hand stories regarding the use of micro-dosing in track and field as well as in other sports for several years now, and this isn't the first thread that I've mentioned it in. If there's a desire to dope, carefully monitored micro-dosing is probably the safest way to benefit from cheating and not get caught, in the absence of undetectable substances like THG a decade ago, and in the absence of being able to completely avoid random tests. If I was a less than ethical athlete, that's the way I'd consider doing it if I could afford the cost... And the chance of catching the cheaters in an in-competition drug test is slim. I could only smile at various articles in the mass media that implied that better and more intensive drug testing at events like the London Olympics should/would weed out all the cheaters.

And getting back to Armstrong's doping, here's another short but informative article that applies to PED usage in other sports as well..

http://www.lifeslittlemysteries.com/299 ... tests.html
Blues

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:27 am

If it is as easy and effective as some have been generally implying then I cannot imagine that it would not be rife in track and field. Note that the proportion of doping tests is lower for track and field (I think) than for high-level cycling and that cycling uses more blood tests (again, I think). I also think that the characteristics of cycling provide somewhat heavier incentives to use PEDs than does T&F, though some subsets of T&F might be as high or may be as high or higher in certain types of PEDs (strength stuff in the weight events).
26mi235

Postby meninblack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:11 am

Blues wrote:
meninblack wrote:

I've heard my share of first hand stories regarding the use of micro-dosing in track and fieldl

"First hand" from the athletes and/or coaches themselves??? If so, its time to "name and shame" the individuals concerned.
meninblack

Postby bambam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Just finished another book - Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh. This one is about Lance Armstrong. It was OK but preferred Hamilton's Secret Race

Walsh is the guy who co-wrote L.A. Confidentiel (in French) back around 2002, which basically laid out the case for Armstrong being a serial doper. That book was only published in French as he was sued in multiple places by Armstrong.

This one updates the story after the Hamilton/Landis revelations and the USADA decision this summer. It really does not have much new after reading the USADA decision and some of the affidavits (I didn't read them all). But it does show that he was well ahead of his time in coming to the correct conclusion here.

Interesting how Armstrong has made no public statements in months now regarding all this.
bambam