Vaccines for those of you age 40+

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Vaccines for those of you age 40+

Postby schigh » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am

The vaccine wasn't initially recommended for age 65 and older because that's the way the vaccine was licensed (how they did the trials). It's now recommended for that age group: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6125a4.htm

Neither the vaccine nor the disease provides lifetime immunity in the case of pertussis.
schigh

Postby bambam » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:34 pm

lonewolf wrote:I had a flu shot a few years ago.. other than that, I do not know and there is no one alive who knows if I had any of those shots... since I am working on my 9th decade of life and can't remember ever being sick (unless I accidentally ingest pork fat) should I consider getting some of these exotic vaccinations?

To be honest, lonewolf, you are probably self-immunized after this amount of time. You've likely been exposed to it all.
bambam

Postby Friar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

Nothing mentioned about when the slow moving V enters the urethra. Quite a trip and not all bad.

I got this outbreak 48 hrs after Halloween (87?) which I insisted to my nurse/sister, triggered things, with a massive sugar spurt. I hadn't eaten any candy in a year (maybe longer). Nobody else who had the CP's with me has come down with Shingles yet.
Friar

Postby gh » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

the word "urethra" is off-limits on this board! (groan) (too many vivid memories)
gh

Postby Pego » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:28 am

gh wrote:the word "urethra" is off-limits on this board! (groan) (too many vivid memories)

If you misbehave, I'll tell you stories about the catheters from the fifties. Uggh! :wink: .
Pego