Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

Postby gibson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:40 am

http://www.businessinsider.com/an-eveni ... z25loMMHME

check the vid where ultra-nerd carlsen talks about life as a chess player.

magnus carlsen, i think is probably mentally tougher than any track athlete, or any athlete for that matter. you are talking about going two hours+ full out concentration several days in a row.
Last edited by gibson on Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
gibson

Re: Champions corner - Magnus Carlsen

Postby gibson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:41 am

magnus storms new york.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=8458

and

How 21-Year-Old World Chess Champion Magnus Carlsen Became Such A Badass

http://www.businessinsider.com/magnus-carlsen-1-ranked-chess-player-2012-7?op=1#ixzz25neMFwjy
gibson

Postby gh » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:20 am

60 Minutes had a very good piece on him in the last year or so.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:24 am

I didn't know that the well known economist Kenneth Rogoff was a grandmaster once.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby wamego relays champ » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:58 am

The world #1 (with the highest ranking ever) is closing in on the FIDE World Chess Championship at age 22. With 4 games remaining Carlsen holds a commanding 5-3 lead (6.5 points needed to win the 12 game match).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/crosswords/chess/challenger-takes-lead-over-world-champion.html?_r=0

Few consider chess a "sport," yet Sports Illustrated still chose to preview the championships.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1209057/index.htm

wamego relays champ

Postby skyin' brian » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:06 am

I don't follow chess, but I played in a lot of scholastic tournaments while in grade school.

Earlier this fall, I attended a session of the Sinquefield Cup since it was in town (St. Louis is apparently a chess hotbed these days). It was exciting to be in the playing hall with some of the world's best including the world #1 and potentially soon World Champion. I also checked out the live Grandmaster commentary (which was neat, but far over my head). My wife tagged along (we didn't stay for the entire session) and couldn't believe that we went there just to see 4 guys sitting at two tables doing basically nothing. In fact when we got into the playing hall, one or two of the players was up from the table pacing at the other end of the room, so she thought one of the guys was just sitting by himself!

Chess is a lot like running in that (almost) anyone can play, but at the highest levels, it really is a totally different game/sport. I agree that the mental toughness these chess guys have probably rivals that of any athlete.
skyin' brian

Postby gh » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:00 pm

wamego relays champ wrote:….
Few consider chess a "sport," yet Sports Illustrated still chose to preview the championships.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1209057/index.htm

Those of an age will recall that in its early years (and for many years thereafter), SI had a weekly bridge column by Charles Goren.
gh

Postby JumboElliott » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:32 pm

How about Dick Schaap's relationship with Bobby Fischer? Schaap was a sports writer.
JumboElliott

Postby bambam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:43 pm

JumboElliott wrote:How about Dick Schaap's relationship with Bobby Fischer? Schaap was a sports writer.

But Fischer turned badly on Schaap in later years. Bio of Fischer couple years ago detailed this nicely.
bambam

Postby wamego relays champ » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:53 pm

There's certainly no denying that some sports journalists cover games that are not really sports, and SI, in particular, casts a wide net sometimes. (We are all big fans of the sport of sun-bathing in exotic locales, aren't we?)

What I found interesting was almost a complete lack of U.S. coverage of the Chess World Championships. Even though there is no American involved, I find the rise of the young, photogenic Carlsen to the highest rating ever to be a very compelling story. Maybe it's because despite his youth, many people probably figured he was already the World Champ.
wamego relays champ

Postby bambam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:23 pm

wamego relays champ wrote:There's certainly no denying that some sports journalists cover games that are not really sports, and SI, in particular, casts a wide net sometimes. (We are all big fans of the sport of sun-bathing in exotic locales, aren't we?)

What I found interesting was almost a complete lack of U.S. coverage of the Chess World Championships. Even though there is no American involved, I find the rise of the young, photogenic Carlsen to the highest rating ever to be a very compelling story. Maybe it's because despite his youth, many people probably figured he was already the World Champ.

This has had some coverage in the US - there was the SI story. Most coverage for this since the Fischer-Spassky match in 1973.
bambam

Postby tandfman » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:55 am

Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.

http://www.aipsmedia.com/index.php?page ... 12665&tp=n
tandfman

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:57 am

tandfman wrote:Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.

I'm at a complete loss on how Chess is a sport. Is there something about moving the pieces that I'm missing?! :shock:

At least in darts, bowling and billiards, there is a requirement to be physically 'gifted'.
SI covers poker also, but do they consider themselves to be athletes? I hope not.
Marlow

Postby jhc68 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 am

Chess is certainly a competitive intellectual exercise. Me, I can't stand seeing poker hyped as a sport...
jhc68

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 am

A better argument could be waged that video-gamers are athletes; at least they have to have SOME reflexes.

Chess can be played completely hand-free with voice-automated moves on a computer. Stephen Hawking can ALL our butts, I'm sure.
Marlow

Postby wamego relays champ » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:11 pm

tandfman wrote:Norway's sports journalists have named Carlsen the Norwegian Athlete of the Year.

Straying a bit from Carlsen and whether chess is a sport, I had to chuckle at one item on the A.I.P.S. listing of Athletes of the Year by Country.

The U.S. member organization (the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association) named as one of its U.S. Athletes of the Year, hockey's Sidney Crosby who, of course, is Canadian.

wamego relays champ

Postby Per Andersen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 pm

I'm not sure about Chess as sport either but for Norwegians Carlsen becoming world Chess champ was such an incredible thing. I understand that chess-sets were extremely popular X-mas presents in the country this year.
Not only does Norway have the top chess player in the world but also the #2 female golfer in the world, Suzanne Pettersen.
Per Andersen

Postby Powell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:19 am

bambam wrote:This has had some coverage in the US - there was the SI story. Most coverage for this since the Fischer-Spassky match in 1973.

I thought the next few WC matches were pretty big stories worldwide as well. The Fischer-Karpov showdown that didn't happen, the highly politically charged Karpov-Korchnoy matches with presumed KGB hypnotizers in the audience, then the endless Kasparov-Karpov final. Are you saying none of these generated significant publicity in the US?
Powell

Postby Pego » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 am

Powell wrote:
bambam wrote:This has had some coverage in the US - there was the SI story. Most coverage for this since the Fischer-Spassky match in 1973.

I thought the next few WC matches were pretty big stories worldwide as well. The Fischer-Karpov showdown that didn't happen, the highly politically charged Karpov-Korchnoy matches with presumed KGB hypnotizers in the audience, then the endless Kasparov-Karpov final. Are you saying none of these generated significant publicity in the US?

Some, but I would hardly label it "significant."
Pego

Postby Powell » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:19 am

Over here, it's the other way around. I'm too young to remember the earlier WC matches, but Karpov-Kasparov was talked about A LOT in the media. I'm not sure Carlsen winning the title got even 1% of the air time and print space that those two got at the time.
Powell

Postby bambam » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am

Powell wrote:

Had some, but once Fischer was out of the picture nothing like what he generated. And he generated it not just because he was American, but partly because he was possibly the greatest player ever, and had been so dominant in the lead-up to the Spassky match (winning 20 straight games against grandmasters), and partly because he was such a nutcase. Unfortunately that only got worse as he got older.
bambam