Robot Terminates Usain Bolt's Record

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Robot Terminates Usain Bolt's Record

Postby gibson » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:24 am

DARPA “Emergency Response” Robot Runs Faster Than Usain Bolt
or robot terminates bolt's record, who's next?
http://www.infowars.com/darpa-emergency ... sain-bolt/

“The Defense Advanced Research Project’s (DARPA) Cheetah managed to reach 28.3 mph, said the agency on Sept. 5. The speed is a little faster than the fastest human, Usain Bolt, who set the human world speed record when he reached a peak speed of 27.78 mph in 2009 during a100 meter sprint.

is ashton eaton's record next? check out the climbing and jumping robots...there is even one that does push-ups. and you have to believe you are looking at yesterday's robots, who knows what the current models do?

“If you have an autonomous robot then it’s going to make decisions who to kill, when to kill and where to kill them. The scary thing is that the reason this has to happen is because of mission complexity and also so that when there’s a problem with communications you can send a robot in with no communication and it will decide who to kill, and that is really worrying to me.”
Last edited by gibson on Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gibson

Re: FORGET ABOUT OSCAR P AND BOLT - BRING ON THE ROBOTS

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:45 am

gibson wrote:http://www.infowars.com/darpa-emergency-response-robot-runs-faster-than-usain-bolt/

Who else is creeped out by the video of the robot running? It's like the doll's head in Toy Story!. :shock:
Marlow

Postby gh » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:33 pm

a reminder: all-caps subject lining is a bannable offense here
gh

Postby gibson » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 am

gh wrote:a reminder: all-caps subject lining is a bannable offense here

attn: renderer of bananable offences

i agree, no more all-caps subject lines!
gibson

Re: Robot Terminates Usain Bolt's Record

Postby 18.99s » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:39 am

Very unimpressive. Let me know when it can run that fast untethered and without falling down.
18.99s

Postby proofs in the pudd'in » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:32 pm

That's funny - I could out run that noisy hunk of junk! It took 10 second to get to 12mph. LMAO! By that time I would have made 3 turns and been out of sight. Better yet just walk on some uneven terrain and take a seat grab some pop-corn and have a laugh at it while it fails like a drunken new born. Forget about bushes, trees, fences, etc. So this is where our money is going to - government nerds. Someome ought to tell Obama this $$ could be used to shore-up more votes with some disenfranchised group. :wink:
proofs in the pudd'in

Postby JRM » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 pm

proofs in the pudd'in wrote:That's funny - I could out run that noisy hunk of junk! It took 10 second to get to 12mph. LMAO! By that time I would have made 3 turns and been out of sight.

Yeah, but after a few hours when you're beat, it'll still be running at 12 mph....

As Kyle Reese put it: "Listen, and understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever... "

Of course, it will also try to set the WRs in the 100m-10000m in the process.
JRM

Postby gibson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:07 am

More terminators :shock: .
the future is but what we make.

http://rt.com/usa/news/pentagon-drone-marines-896/

Scientists at the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, are touting a video of one of its latest endeavors in action. The lab has released footage of an unmanned, four-legged robot nicknamed the LS3 that they expect to send into battle to assist soldiers and Marines in an array of conditions.

“The vision for LS3 is to combine the capabilities of a pack mule with the intelligence of a trained animal,” DARPA Program Manager Army Lt. Col. Joe Hitt tells reporters.

ltcol joe hitt, is working for who?, the marines ?
i don't think so, he's working for skynet :evil:
gibson

Postby Tuariki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:05 am

Maybe the robot can be used to determine the argument in the "Current Events" message board whether new tracks are faster than old tracks. Presumably they can set the robots to run at a consistent effort so that it is possible to rate the tracks.
Tuariki