2012 College Football


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Bama problems (cleverly written):

Recruiting wise, this is a star-studded arrest. Four players totaling a combined 18-star rating. #Bama

http://college-football.si.com/2013/02/12/alabama-football-players-arrested-on-robbery-fraud-charges/?sct=hp_t2_a5&eref=sihp

Johnny Manziel thwarts Alabama once again, gentle readers. Young Master Football’s Heisman Trophy victory means the Tide will be unable to complete the celebrated Switzer Sweep of winning the BCS championship, Fulmer Cup and Heisman Trophy in a single year, as Auburn did not too long ago. But ‘Bama’s making up for missing out on the third element of the Slam by going after the second as it does on the football field: With alarming depth and relentless tenacity.

Crimson Tide running back Brent Calloway, linebacker Tyler Hayes, defensive lineman D.J. Pettway and safety Eddie Williams have all been arrested and charged in connection with an incident in which two students were robbed, and a credit card obtained in the attack was used to purchase … vending machine snacks? College! Charge details, per the Associated Press:
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby gh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:33 pm

more dirt in Deadspin's coverage on the incident

http://deadspin.com/5983732/alabama-pla ... obbed-them
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am

Minor stuff....But Crimson Tide fans can relax because they don't use PEDs since they ain't ever had a positive and the USADA only worries about races in France and sports with a .0001% fan base.

PS. Yes, I know the original story has nothing to do with PEDs but I always think it is pretty comical there is never anything about PEDs in college football, a sport they are tailored made for and a host of athletes with the morals of street thugs.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:06 am

Conor Dary wrote:I always think it is pretty comical there is never anything about PEDs in college football, a sport they are tailored made for and a host of athletes with the morals of street thugs.

I'm skeptical. You've never heard of big boned?
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:15 am

Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I always think it is pretty comical there is never anything about PEDs in college football, a sport they are tailored made for and a host of athletes with the morals of street thugs.

I'm skeptical. You've never heard of big boned?


And since Big Daddy Lipscome went from being the biggest pro around to not being able to crack the lineup at numerous colleges, including our local one, there has been vast genetic change in the human population, right? 8-) :( [not clear if you were in need of clarifying smilies]
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 am

26mi235 wrote:
Daisy wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:I always think it is pretty comical there is never anything about PEDs in college football, a sport they are tailored made for and a host of athletes with the morals of street thugs.

I'm skeptical. You've never heard of big boned?


And since Big Daddy Lipscome went from being the biggest pro around to not being able to crack the lineup at numerous colleges, including our local one, there has been vast genetic change in the human population, right? 8-) :( [not clear if you were in need of clarifying smilies]


Oh yes, the more the better !
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:17 pm

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Having said that, I never cease to be astounded that young scholar (???)-athletes, given a golden opportunity to receive a college education, can throw it all completely away, many times ending up in prison, and ruining whatever chance they had for a half decent future.

No sympathy here from me. But I can't call them thugs as that is not politically correct any more. So I'll just call them worthless stupid human beings.
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:29 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Having said that, I never cease to be astounded that young scholar (???)-athletes, given a golden opportunity to receive a college education, can throw it all completely away, many times ending up in prison, and ruining whatever chance they had for a half decent future.

No sympathy here from me. But I can't call them thugs as that is not politically correct any more. So I'll just call them worthless stupid human beings.


I didn't say they were street thugs, only they had the same morals, though in this case the description might be apt.

    Williams, for what it's worth, might not be the greatest dude. This was his second arrest in three days. On Sunday, according to police, he refused to pay for his gas, and threatened the station attendant by mentioning he had something in his trunk. Police say they stopped him shortly thereafter and found an unlicensed pistol in his pants pocket, a crime which appears to be no more serious in Alabama than a moving violation. He was released after paying $500 bond.

As for wasting an college education, I suspect that opportunity disappeared years before, when they were never held accountable in high school, as long as they played well.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 6 guests