2012 College Football

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 2012 College Football

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:38 am

j-a-m wrote:
Blues wrote: Some of the media seems to be distorting the issue a little.. This situation was a tough one and was part of the fallout from Northern Illinois getting the Orange Bowl bid...

Apparently Louisiana Tech had time to accept the offer until Saturday afternoon, at which time Northern Illinois playing in a BCS bowl was the likely scenario.

Northern Illinois playing in a BCS bowl is no suprise. Coming into this weekend, the chance of the MAC champ making a BCS game was close to 50%, and after the UCLA loss on Friday it was about 70%.

Once again Brad Edwards got it wrong as he predicted Kent State to get in the BCS if they won, but not Northern Illinois if the won. Because of this, on Saturday, he had Oklahoma going to the BCS.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:16 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Once again Brad Edwards got it wrong as he predicted . . .

Well . . .

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:Georgia maybe. No way Florida is jumping over Bama if Bama wins.

I don't know why you would say this. The computers don't know what name is on the jerseys, and like Georgia, Alabama has had only one signature win all season.

jazzcyclist wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:Yet they are both ahead of Florida right now. Whichever team wins will have it's "signature" win anyway and there's next to no chance Alabama gets passed.

I give up. Some people just don't understand simple math. :(
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:26 am

Marlow wrote:Well . . .

Well what? I stand by my previous posts. As you can see, the Alabama's win over Georgia had no effect on Florida's #2 ranking in the computer rankings, but there was never any way for Florida to get into the championship game as long as the voters had them ranked behind Oregon. Florida would have needed to be a strong #3 in the final human polls to jump over Alabama. I said that after the polls came out last week.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:03 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
Marlow wrote:Well . . .

Well what? I stand by my previous posts. As you can see, the Alabama's win over Georgia had no effect on Florida's #2 ranking in the computer rankings, but there was never any way for Florida to get into the championship game as long as the voters had them ranked behind Oregon. Florida would have needed to be a strong #3 in the final human polls to jump over Alabama. I said that after the polls came out last week.

Ah, nice spin move. :wink:
Marlow

Postby preston » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:37 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Are you suggesting that Notre Dame isn't in the same class as Georgia and Alabama or vice versa? I still remember when some folks on this board thought Oregon was invincible.

Georgia - They lost to South Carolina and Alabama, two of the three decent teams they played, because they couldn't stop the run, and they needed six turnovers to beat Florida, the other decent they played. Notre Dame has arguably the best run defense in the nation and their front seven is second to none. Nearly every team in the SEC has some of the best running backs in college football and they do it all the while playing against the best run defenses in college football but some how you think there is a way to make 'that team' comparable? Apples to apples :? .

Alabama - Their aura of invincibility was busted against LSU, Texas A&M and Georgia. Texas A&M beat them and they needed to be saved by the bell survive against LSU and Georgia. Even Nick Saban admitted that they got outplayed against LSU, and after yestereday's game he seemed like a person who had just survived a near-death experience. Alabama's "aura of invicibility was burst by LSU, TXA&M and GA but 'that school's' was enhanced by playing Purdue within 3? Barely winning against MI? Nearly losing to BYU? Stanford getting cheated? Playing PITT to 3 OT's? And barely beating a BAD OK and USC team? The only positive for Alabama's BCS foe is that they have yet to lose this season. YET!!!

Notre Dame - As mentioned earlier, they're built to stop the one thing that Alabama does best: stop the run. They held eight of their 12 opponents to their lowest score of the season, and freshman Everett Golson has gotten better with every game. (Navy scored 10 on 'em and could only score 7 on Penn St and a field goal against San Jose st; Purdue scored 17 and played within 3 on 'em yet could only score 13 against MI 14 against WI and 9 against Penn St - losing by at least 24 points in those outings; BYU lost by 3 after scoring 2 touchdowns a week after BYU were blown out by Oregon St 42-24, they lost by 6 after two touchdowns to San Jose St; OK gave up 30 points to nearly half of their schedule; Pitt: lost to Youngstown St by two touchdowns; Lost to CIncy by 24; Lost to Syracuse by 1; lost to Louisville by 10; lost to UCONN by 7; and took 'that school' to 3 OT's :? ; Boston College: of the 10 games that BC lost only one school managed NOT TO score more than 21 points...yup, 'that school'; Wake: was beaten far worse by FSU and Vandy)

Here are my two questions:

1) How many times will ESPN show iconic black and white photos and videos of Knute Rockne and Bear Bryant between now and January 7?

2) What would you set the over-and-under at?

My answers: 1) 107, 2) 25
preston

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:00 am

Marlow wrote:Ah, nice spin move. :wink:

Go back and reread my post. There's no spin or contradiction on my part. By the way, aren't you an English major?
:wink:
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:05 am

Vegas opening line is Bama -9 1/2.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:26 pm

What does a non-football school do when it gets a BSC berth? Give away the tickets.
Northern Illinois, which became the first MAC school to earn a BCS bowl berth, has announced it will offer free Orange Bowl tickets to students who can get to Miami for the Jan. 1 game against Florida State.

Although offering one free ticket per student likely will lead to Northern Illinois losing money on its BCS berth, the school is willing to absorb that cost. The Huskies have been provided 17,500 tickets.

"We consider athletics to be an important part of the university for (the students)," Northern Illinois media relations associate athletic director Donna Turner said Monday. "If it gives them a good feeling about themselves, Northern Illinois and our athletic programs, that's an investment that's well worth it. When you talk about the big picture, that's more important than whatever the cost is in the short term."

It's uncertain how rare this gesture is, but representatives of two schools that are no strangers to bowls said they were unaware of this being a common practice.

"It'd be a great way to attract students, no question," Orange Bowl communications and community outreach vice president Larry Wahl said. "If you're incurring the cost of the tickets to where the cost is just transportation and housing and meals, that certainly would help."

Turner said they opened the ticket office early Monday and approximately 500 students reserved tickets.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/college-foot ... wl-tickets

UConn lost a fortune when they got a BCS bid two years ago and couldn't get their fans to make the trip.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:30 am

Once again Bob Stoops defends his title as the biggest hack in college football.
Northern Illinois ended up getting a bid to the Orange Bowl on Sunday night despite the efforts of four Big 12 Conference's representatives in the USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll who did everything they could to help conference-member Oklahoma's position in the final Bowl Championship Series standings.

Among the 59 voters in the coaches poll, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, Baylor's Art Briles, Iowa State's Paul Rhoads and West Virginia's Dana Holgorsen all either voted the Sooners No. 6 and/or the Mid-American Conference champion Huskies No. 24 in Sunday's final regular-season balloting. Stoops did both.

No other voter had Oklahoma higher than eighth, and only one, Michigan State's Mark Dantonio, had the Sooners that high .

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... s/1740711/

Overall, the Big 12 coaches seemed to be the most hackish of the bunch, while the MAC coaches were notably impartial. Also notable, five of the six SEC coaches voted Notre Dame #1, including Nick Saban. However, Vanderbilt's James Franklin seems like he may be looking to dethrone Stoops for the hack award in future years.

The MAC's six voters — including Northern Illinois' Dave Doeren — cast their ballots in a way that was not as helpful to the Huskies as the Big 12's votes were to the Sooners.

Doeren, Akron's Terry Bowden, Ball State's Pete Lembo, Kent State's Darrell Hazell, Ohio's Frank Solich and Toledo's Matt Campbell all had Oklahoma at No. 10 or No. 11. (Bowden and Lembo had OU 10th.)

Doeren, Bowden and Campbell had the Huskies 14th; Solich had them 15th; Hazell 17th and Lembo 21st. . . . . .

Among the Big 12 voters other than Stoops and Tuberville, the voting went as follows: Briles had Oklahoma sixth and Northern Illinois 19th; Holgorsen had OU ninth and NIU 24th; Rhoads had OU sixth and NIU 20th.

Here's the interactive link to the final Coaches' Poll:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/c ... hes-poll12
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Brett Bielema is leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. I sure did not see that coming.
Pego

Postby KevinM » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:05 pm

Pego wrote:Brett Bielema is leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. I sure did not see that coming.

Less job security, but a higher ceiling.

Would Northern Illinois's (and former Bielema assistant) Doeren have been a candidate had he not just accepted the NCSU job?
KevinM

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:07 pm

KevinM wrote:
Pego wrote:Brett Bielema is leaving Wisconsin for Arkansas. I sure did not see that coming.

Less job security, but a higher ceiling.

Would Northern Illinois's (and former Bielema assistant) Doeren have been a candidate had he not just accepted the NCSU job?

I suspect that Alvarez might have the replacement in the works already.
Pego

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't understand this. He'll have a much harder time winning conference championships at Arkansas. and since Wisconsin has one of the top-ten football budgets in the conntry, there can't be that big a disparity in resources. This is a lateral move at best IMO.
jazzcyclist

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:53 pm

A statement of Barry Alvarez on the Badger website.

"I was very surprised when Bret told me he was taking the offer from Arkansas. He did a great job for us during his seven years as head coach, both on the field and off. I want to thank him for his work and wish him the best at Arkansas.

"I have a responsibility to our student-athletes, our football family and our fans, one that I take very seriously. It is my responsibility to ensure that the football program continues at a high level, and I have already started the process of trying to find a new head coach.

"Along with finding a new coach, my other main objective is to make sure that our student-athletes, specifically our seniors playing in their final game as Badgers, have a tremendous experience in the Rose Bowl. We will do everything within our power to make that happen."
Pego

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:55 pm

Well, it might be related to that "5" in the W-L totals. Barry Alvarez had this statement (in part):

I was very surprised when Bret told me he was taking the offer from Arkansas. He did a great job for us during his seven years as head coach, both on the field and off. I want to thank him for his work and wish him the best at Arkansas.

"I have a responsibility to our student-athletes, our football family and our fans, one that I take very seriously. It is my responsibility to ensure that the football program continues at a high level, and I have already started the process of trying to find a new head coach.
26mi235

Postby DrJay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:51 am

You know they've really screwed up the post-season when the 2012 College Football thread is languishing on page 3 of the forum on New Year's Day.
DrJay

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 am

There's exactly three games to watch:

Rose - today (probably only of interest to Pac-8/10/12/14/etc. or Big-10/12/14/etc. fans)
Fiesta - Thursday
BCS - Monday

Then there's some of train-wreck (David vs. Goliath) interest:

Orange - today
Sugar - tomorrow

and, of course, the

Johnny Football (Heisman) [Cotton] Bowl - Friday
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 am

I can't believe Northern Illinois' quarterback Jordan Lynch was foolish enough to trash-talk Florida State.
We plan on wearing them down. In the fourth quarter, we plan to have them on their knees — and then just keep pounding away.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sport ... -to/nTh8J/

:?

If the Huskies do win, it won't be because they physically dominated Florida State, rather it will be becasue they played a perfect game, used every trick play in their playbook and executed them flawlessly and have all the stars aligned just right (eg. Bose State in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl).
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:20 pm

The Red Tree Farmers CRUSH/ANNIHILATE/DESTROY Wisconsin!!
:D
[OK, it was less than a TD, but still]
Marlow

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:44 pm

I still think Stanford beat Notre Dame in Indiana.
DoubleRBar

Postby jhc68 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:57 pm

As for the BCS BS Championship, for me this is tough to even think about.

Since I have abhorred both ND and Bama for most of my life the only satisfactory result of the game would be for one of the teams (I don't care which) to absolutely destroy the other, this exposing the loser as an over-rated fraud !!!

A close game would just re-inforce the propaganda machines for TD Jesus and the all-powerful SEC. Ptooeey...
jhc68

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:19 am

College football has become one big money grab and now even Boise State is getting in on the action.
A little more than a year ago, Boise State surveyed the college football landscape and made a head-scratching -- and completely unconventional move -- joining a league based 2,600 miles away for football only.

The bottom line then: The Big East offered the potential for an automatic bid into the BCS and much more money out of a renegotiated television contract, two major lifelines that would ensure the Broncos' national relevance into the future.

Today, Boise State surveyed the college football landscape and made yet another decision, a conventional one this time. The best program outside the automatic-qualifying conferences chose to spurn the Big East to stay in its current home, the Mountain West, a league that provides a better geographical fit, a spot for all its sports and the potential to earn much more money out of a renegotiated television deal. . . . . . .

As a way to keep Boise State in the fold, the Mountain West renegotiated its television deal with its primary network partner, CBS Sports Network. The league will guarantee the rights to Boise State home football games that are sold as a separate package. In addition, Boise State and other football teams in the Mountain West that appear on national television (ESPN, ESPN2, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox) will be paid a bonus of $300,000 per game, with an additional $200,000 for a Saturday game.

Wonder who will get the lion's share of those appearances?

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/ ... o-big-east
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:29 am

jazzcyclist wrote:College football has become one big money grab and now even Boise State is getting in on the action.
A little more than a year ago, Boise State surveyed the college football landscape and made a move [to the] Big East [which] offered the potential for an automatic bid into the BCS and much more money . . . [and then reneged when] the potential to earn much more money out of a renegotiated television deal.

Big-time D1 football used to be about . . . sports, but now it's been reduced to two things
1. Name recognition, which leads to more applications and more booster money.
2. Revenue, namely football's ability to float the rest of the Athletic Dept.
Marlow

Postby donley2 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Marlow wrote:There's exactly three games to watch:

Rose - today (probably only of interest to Pac-8/10/12/14/etc. or Big-10/12/14/etc. fans)
Fiesta - Thursday
BCS - Monday

Then there's some of train-wreck (David vs. Goliath) interest:

Orange - today
Sugar - tomorrow

and, of course, the

Johnny Football (Heisman) [Cotton] Bowl - Friday

So I agree with your number (3) but will substitute Johnny football for the Rose as the whole Wisconsin with 5 losses just blows the excitement even if they win. So in summary as stated above a couple times a bit sad when Jan 1st is over and the must watch games are just getting ready to start.
donley2

Postby guru » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Somehow Louisville didnt get the memo they're 14 point dogs...
guru

Postby Marlow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:11 pm

guru wrote:Somehow Louisville didnt get the memo they're 14 point dogs...

UP by 14 at the half. Gators can only hope they're 'wearing down' L-ville, which doesn't look like it's happening.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:29 pm

Did anyone else catch Brigetta Barrett's beautiful national anthem performance before tonight's Fiesta Bowl? It's a good thing for Kimberlyn that the Bowerman doesn't include a talent competition.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 pm

That didn't take long. It's only fitting that he leaned at the finish line, err goal line, when he got to the end zone.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Despite living only 1.5 hrs from Gatorville, I was glad to see them spanked by L'ville. Tebow notwithstanding, they tend to be a little too full of themselves. The Seminoles, meanwhile, took care of business in methodical manner.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Marlow wrote:Despite living only 1.5 hrs from Gatorville, I was glad to see them spanked by L'ville. Tebow notwithstanding, they tend to be a little too full of themselves. The Seminoles, meanwhile, took care of business in methodical manner.

I think SEC fans everywhere need to get their comeuppance to cure them of their nauseating sense of entitlement. I live five minutes from LSU, and not only does the loss on Monday not really bother me, but I would love to see the SEC go 0-3 in their last three bowl games culminating with a humiliating, lopsided defeat on Monday.

As far Florida State, they let Northern Illinois hang around much longer than they should have, and they didn't look like a top ten team IMO.
jazzcyclist

Postby guru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 am

jazzcyclist wrote:That didn't take long. It's only fitting that he leaned at the finish line, err goal line, when he got to the end zone.

Impressive. Thomas(10.57/21.35) 94 yards in full football gear +/- 10 seconds(clock read 14:50 when he crossed the goal line). ESPN "clocked" him in 26.03 MPH(I'd sure like to know how they came up with THAT lol).
guru

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:59 am

guru wrote:ESPN "clocked" him in 26.03 MPH(I'd sure like to know how they came up with THAT lol).

I saw that and immediately called bullshit.
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 pm

The Fiesta Bowl featured three tributes to track and field last night. I mentioned two of them on the previous page. True track fans should be able to recognize the third in this Fiesta Bowl promo by Modern Family's Ty Burrell and Eric Stonestreet.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8799274
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:06 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:As far Florida State, they let Northern Illinois hang around much longer than they should have, and they didn't look like a top ten team IMO.

Almost all decent teams can hang with anyone for a half, but then speed and depth start to tell. Even Florida actually did mount a comeback, but far too little, far too late.
Marlow

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:As far Florida State, they let Northern Illinois hang around much longer than they should have, and they didn't look like a top ten team IMO.

Almost all decent teams can hang with anyone for a half, but then speed and depth start to tell. Even Florida actually did mount a comeback, but far too little, far too late.

A much better and undefeated Hawaii team couldn't hang with Georgia for a half in the 2008 Sugar Bowl. Iowa, who finshed second to last in the Big 10, is the only AQ-coonference team Northern Illinois played all year, and they lost to them.
jazzcyclist

Postby lonewolf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:30 pm

Question for the rules mavens:

If the ball carrier stays inbounds, does the football have to cross the goal line within the sidelines to count as a TD or is it sufficient if it crosses the extended goal line.

Inquiry prompted by Johnny Football's first touchdown tonight in the Cotton Bowl.. as he neared the goal line running down the left sideline, he switched the ball to his left hand and skipped into the end zone with left arm extended.. I have not seen a replay from that angle but my immediate impression was that the ball was outside the end zone side line when it crossed the extended goal line.
Not that one touchdown would have made any difference. :)
lonewolf

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm

lonewolf wrote:Question for the rules mavens: If the ball carrier stays inbounds, does the football have to cross the goal line within the sidelines to count as a TD or is it sufficient if it crosses the extended goal line.

If a receiver catches the ball in the end-zone, he only needs to get a foot down to score a TD. So, I'm guessing same holds true for a runner.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby lonewolf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Question for the rules mavens: If the ball carrier stays inbounds, does the football have to cross the goal line within the sidelines to count as a TD or is it sufficient if it crosses the extended goal line.

If a receiver catches the ball in the end-zone, he only needs to get a foot down to score a TD. So, I'm guessing same holds true for a runner.

True, but in that case the ball would have crossed the goal line within the side lines.
lonewolf

Postby Blues » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:09 am

lonewolf wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:

True, but in that case the ball would have crossed the goal line within the side lines.

Even if the ball crosses outside the pylon, it's a touchdown if the ball carrier touches the end zone or goal line in bounds.. Rule 8, section 2 in the NCAA rules linked to below. Good examples are given in the later Interpretations section under Rule 8, section 2, and parts VI and VII apply to this scenario.

As stated in the rules:

A touchdown shall be scored when:

a. A ball carrier advancing from the field of play has possession of a live ball when it penetrates the plane of the opponent’s goal line. This plane extends beyond the pylons only for a player who touches the ground in the end zone or a pylon. (A.R. 2-23-1-I and A.R. 8-2-1-I-IX).

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/FR13.pdf
Blues

Postby lonewolf » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:59 pm

That is the answer. Thank you, Blues.
lonewolf

PreviousNext