Yet another Darwin Award candidate

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Yet another Darwin Award candidate

Postby Noo Yawkah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:50 pm

Blues wrote: I'm afraid that if I had a rare opportunity to get a few once in a lifetime photos (like a clear view of Chicago at night from a vantage point at the top of a hotel smokestack), it's possible that I might do a little climbing too.

You could get the clearest view possible, and it would still be Chicago. :twisted:
Noo Yawkah

Postby Tuariki » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:52 pm

As Darwin would have said, what he ignored was the "common sense" sign
Tuariki

Postby Blues » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:39 am

Tuariki wrote:As Darwin would have said, what he ignored was the "common sense" sign

Okay, but I think each person's definition of a "common sense" sign varies, based on what the individual's goals are, what the foreseeable risks are, and whether the individual feels he or she can overcome any foreseeable risks.

Again, IF there were no clear posted warnings, and since the entrances weren't locked, and considering that he may have felt it was an opportunity for some once in a lifetime unobstructed views and photos of the city at night, I can understand the desire of a person who might have been dedicated to photography to climb a mere 20 feet to the top of a ladder that was on the regular hotel observation deck, especially if he wasn't warned that it led to the top of a smokestack rather than to the top of another observation deck. If, on the other hand, he ignored all kinds of clear and visible warnings and should have realized that he was climbing a few feet from the observation deck to the top of a smokestack, then he obviously made some not very wise decisions.

On a personal note, I usually carry close to four thousand dollars of high end equipment in my camera bag. For those who don't have the same reasons for doing that, I wouldn't expect them to have the exact same definition of common sense that I have when it comes to an opportunity to get a very unique photo... I haven't had the opportunity to climb a tower at night, but I'd be willing to bet that I've gotten a lot closer to potentially dangerous animals and venomous snakes in the wild in order to get a great or unique close up photo than many people with less interest in photography would... Different strokes for different folks.
Blues

Postby Pego » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 am

Blues wrote:I've gotten a lot closer to potentially dangerous animals and venomous snakes in the wild

Since you are still here, that indicates that you never crossed the boundaries of "common sense" whatever that may be in different situations. The late Mr Wieme did and as a result, he is no longer with us.
Pego

Postby tandfman » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:41 am

Pego wrote:
Blues wrote:I've gotten a lot closer to potentially dangerous animals and venomous snakes in the wild

Since you are still here, that indicates that you never crossed the boundaries of "common sense" whatever that may be in different situations.

I disagree. Not everyone who takes foolish risks pays the price immediately. But if you continue to cross the boundaries of common sense repeatedly, it becomes more likely that at some point something bad will happen.
Last edited by tandfman on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tandfman

Postby Blues » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:49 am

Pego wrote:

Since you are still here, that indicates that you never crossed the boundaries of "common sense" whatever that may be in different situations. The late Mr Wieme did and as a result, he is no longer with us.

Well, we may never know what Mr. Wieme knew or assumed regarding the risks involved. I would wager good money though that Mr. Wieme didn't know he was stepping out onto the top of a smokestack, and the news reports also state that he thought he was stepping onto a ledge on the observation deck... Again, if there was no reasonable reason he should have assumed it was a smokestack, and the hotel didn't have the area secured, then I won't necessarily call him dumb, especially knowing the specific set of value orientations a dedicated photographer might have. What he climbed didn't appear to look like a smokestack from his vantage point, wasn't secured, and only involved climbing about 10 to 15 steps from the observation deck up an attached ladder, as can be seen in the photo I posted previously.

If I crouch down to get a close up shot of a wild rattlesnake from about 6 feet away, I'm using the established facts that rattlesnakes can't strike more than a length of 1/2 to 2/3 of their bodies, and that a rattlesnake won't chase you.. Obviously if something makes me fall forward I'm screwed, or if something suddenly forces the rattlesnake to move closer to me I might be screwed, but I evaluate the possibilities, and evaluate my chance of dealing with any unexpected situations, and then decide whether or not to take the risk. On the rare chance that a tree should fall unexpectedly, or a tornado should suddenly crop up out of thin air, or a pile of space junk falls on me from outer space, and I end up getting knocked forward and bitten, or if I should somehow encounter the one in a million "Usain Bolt of rattlesnakes" and he's able to bite me from 6 feet away when no other rattlesnakes can, some people would call me dumb, while others would call me unlucky. It just seems to me that there might be different ways to look at the same situation, especially if we haven't walked in the involved person's shoes or don't know all the facts involved.
Blues

Postby Conor Dary » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:15 am

Blues wrote:
Well, we may never know what Mr. Wieme knew or assumed regarding the risks involved. I would wager good money though that Mr. Wieme didn't know he was stepping out onto the top of a smokestack, and the news reports also state that he thought he was stepping onto a ledge on the observation deck...

This was a fairly big story in Chicago last week, and almost everyone I to talked their attitude was, while they felt sorry for the poor dude, the guy was dumb and stupid.

So the guy climbs up to the top and either sees a big hole, or in the dark has no idea what is there and continues? That is dumb. And it is important to call it that because then someone else may avoid such a horrible fate.

It would be one thing if this guy was a professional photographer trying to get an important shot, say in a war zone or some important event. Or even a mountaineer, like Galen Rowell trying to take a shot. In that case you might take some risks, but even then you would, at least the people I know, try to minimize them. And certainly not after drinking. But this guy, after a few drinks in a fancy restaurant was trying to get some shot, that he would post on facebook, and get a few comments, etc. Pretty silly.

As a former teacher, and uncle, this is what you try to get through to younger folks. Don't go into places you have no business, even if there are no signs. And don't do what that idiot did.

End of lesson. QED.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:47 am

Conor Dary wrote:
....the guy was dumb and stupid.

.....So the guy climbs up to the top and either sees a big hole, or in the dark has no idea what is there and continues? That is dumb. And it is important to call it that because then someone else may avoid such a horrible fate......

....But this guy, after a few drinks in a fancy restaurant was trying to get some shot, that he would post on facebook, and get a few comments, etc. Pretty silly.

As a former teacher, and uncle, this is what you try to get through to younger folks. Don't go into places you have no business, even if there are no signs. And don't do what that idiot did.

End of lesson. QED.

QED??? I'm giving you a crappy rating on RateMyTeachers.com... :wink:

It's been published that they had dinner and drinks at a restaurant earlier, but without knowing his blood alcohol level, isn't it at least possible that he could have had a drink or two over the course of the dinner and not necessarily had his judgement impaired after the meal? If he was impaired, then he wasn't too wise, but do we really know if alcohol had anything to do with his actions?

Without knowing what he was thinking on that observation deck, and what he saw or didn't see up there, and without knowing exactly how he lost his footing and fell, I prefer to reserve judgement. Hopefully the hotel will prevent something like this from ever happening again, regardless of the individual IQ's of the hotel guests.

Regarding "not going into places you have no business, even if there are no signs", I've stumbled across some of the most serene and uniquely beautiful places I've ever seen by taking a risk and exploring when I wasn't sure where I'd end up. It's not always crystal clear whether or not you have no business in a place. Some people feel you have no business in a place only if there's a sign that says you don't, and others feel you have no business in a place if there isn't a sign that says you do.. Neither is always right and sometimes it's a judgement call. And some people's hearts, and thus actions, are influenced more by types of beauty that may have more of an impact on them than on others.

BUT, to surrender to you and Pego, I'll accept being thought of as an "idiot" (or as being thought of as an "idiot" in one more way than people already think) since I might have taken the risk and also climbed the 20 ft ladder to take a look, even if I probably wouldn't have stepped off onto the top.. The writer of the following short piece might accept being thought of as being an "idiot" too.. I think we all have different priorities and values that help determine whether we feel a risk is worthwhile to take or not, as well as how great we feel the risk is. :

http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/ar ... olas-wieme
Blues

Postby Daisy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 am

Blues wrote:If I didn't realize that it was a smokestack and assumed it was another observation tower, I might have thought about climbing the short distance too if there were no locks and no signs warning me that it was a smokestack

Photo source: http://www.chicagocarless.com/2008/05/1 ... ago-hotel/

Interestingly, the photo caption mentions that is was built as a zeppelin dock, although it was never used. Maybe that why it doesn't look like a regular smokestack?
Daisy

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Blues wrote:to surrender to you and Pego, I'll accept being thought of as an "idiot"

To set the record straight, I said repeatedly that you are not. Mr Wieme on the other hand... :wink:
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Pego wrote:
Blues wrote:to surrender to you and Pego, I'll accept being thought of as an "idiot"

To set the record straight, I said repeatedly that you are not. Mr Wieme on the other hand... :wink:

Ditto with that. After all you are still here.... :D
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:31 pm

Conor Dary wrote:
Pego wrote:

So far... But if I should die from falling down a smokestack after getting the photo (or seeing a view) of a lifetime, or from a rattlesnake bite or mountain lion attack in the wild, or because of a starter who accidentally used a real loaded gun at a meet, at least I'll die smiling, knowing that I died doing something I love. (wink)

Obviously there are even better examples I could use, but gh would probably delete the thread or ban me if I mentioned them, considering that threads like the female pole vaulter thread are routinely deleted... ;)
Blues

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:37 pm

Blues wrote: or because of a starter who accidentally used a real loaded gun at a meet, at least I'll die smiling, knowing that I died doing something I love. (wink)

How about a starter pistol like this:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/asset/ ... _start.jpg
Conor Dary

Postby Pego » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Blues wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Pego wrote:

So far... But if I should die from falling down a smokestack after getting the photo (or seeing a view) of a lifetime, or from a rattlesnake bite or mountain lion attack in the wild, or because of a starter who accidentally used a real loaded gun at a meet, at least I'll die smiling, knowing that I died doing something I love. (wink)

Obviously there are even better examples I could use, but gh would probably delete the thread or ban me if I mentioned them, considering that threads like the female pole vaulter thread are routinely deleted... ;)

I think you guys will approve of my death wish - at 100 to be shot by a jealous husband.
Pego

Postby Blues » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Pego wrote:
Blues wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:
Pego wrote:
To set the record straight, I said repeatedly that you are not. Mr Wieme on the other hand...

I think you guys will approve of my death wish - at 100 to be shot by a jealous husband.

I KNEW it was only a matter of time until Pego came around to my way of thinking! Now I have to work on Conor Dary.. (wink)
Blues

Postby br » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am

Woman mauled by lion while getting nookie in the African bush. Boyfriend escapes wearing only a condom.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/the-ot ... 6592026723

"He is a fisherman and he used to meet so often at the same spot with his girlfriend who is now deceased. The unidentified man was naked since it was hot. His girlfriend, Sharai, was a vendor and the two were romping when the incident occurred. In fact, they were 'doing it' sideways. The lion came from behind and roared. The guy managed to escape before stopping at a distant where he witnessed his companion being attacked. He later rushed to the road seeking for help", said another highly placed source.
br

Postby Conor Dary » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 am

I wouldn't call this a good candidate for this thread. More like bad luck and something similar to a bear attack here.
Conor Dary

Postby br » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Conor Dary wrote:I wouldn't call this a good candidate for this thread. More like bad luck and something similar to a bear attack here.

I guess you're right. Rather error on the side of bad luck than deciding to go for it in the middle of a lion's lair.
br

Postby bambam » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:53 am

Pego wrote:I think you guys will approve of my death wish - at 100 to be shot by a jealous husband.

Sounds good.

I have a tattoo on my right shoulder - the Olympic Rings. Got them on my 50th birthday.

On my 100th birthday, if I make it, I plan on crawling, or being wheeled into some tattoo parlor somewhere, and getting a naked woman on my left shoulder. Should be fun. Wish me luck.
bambam

Postby Blues » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Conor Dary wrote:I wouldn't call this a good candidate for this thread. More like bad luck and something similar to a bear attack here.

Well, it seems like maybe she did choose a boyfriend who opted to run away and leave her with the lion, so maybe this qualifies a little if this story is true.... The fact that the story states that they were doing it sideways, and that she was also known as Mai Desire, makes me wonder if it's legit though...

Sadly this reminds me a little of that old joke we've all heard about the two hikers, with one commenting about the other's decision to wear running shoes in case they encounter a bear... "Ha! You dope. There's no way you can outrun a bear even with those shoes"........"I don't have to outrun the bear.... I only have to outrun you."
Blues

Postby tandfman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:05 am

bambam wrote:I have a tattoo on my right shoulder - the Olympic Rings. Got them on my 50th birthday.

On my 100th birthday, if I make it, I plan on crawling, or being wheeled into some tattoo parlor somewhere, and getting a naked woman on my left shoulder. Should be fun. Wish me luck.

What will you do if the tattoo dude has a sense of humor and gives you a tattoo of a naked 100-year-old woman. :)
tandfman

Postby Blues » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:31 am

I'm sorry for this man's family and friends, but I guess he might qualify, and especially since his actions resulted in rangers shooting 4 crocodiles in the wild because one of them did what crocodiles do.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/2 ... 16239.html
Blues

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:38 am

I saw the same story yesterday on NBC's website.

"Several of the group in the party witnessed the male being taken in the jaws of the croc for a period of time, and then he was out of sight," Bahnert said.

"The Mary River is known worldwide to have the greatest saturation of adult saltwater crocodiles in the world. You don't swim in the Mary River," he said.

Alcohol may have played a part in the decision to swim, he said.

Erin Bayard, an employee of the resort where the group was staying, told the Australian broadcaster ABC that crocodiles were very common in the Mary River.

"We do actually tell all our guests not to swim and to stay at least five metres back from the edge of the bank," she said.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013 ... river?lite
jazzcyclist

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:28 am

BTW, great story on Nile crocs on 60 Minutes last night.
DrJay

Postby Marlow » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 am

Blues wrote:because one of them did what crocodiles do.

Zackly! What part of "Don't swim there - there's crocodiles" did he NOT understand?
As with bull-fighting, I'm rooting for the animals to win these contests.
Marlow

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:58 am

"Crocodile expert Grahame Webb, a Darwin zoologist, said he would not give a swimmer an even chance of crossing the 80-meter-wide (260-foot-wide) river.

"Someone swimming in an area with crocs like that ... crocs are going to zero in on them almost every time," Webb said."

Huffington Post link
DrJay

Postby jeremyp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:11 am

There's a story like this quite often here in S.W. Florida. "Man gets drunk swims in canal/lake/river...meets gator!"
jeremyp

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

DrJay wrote:"Crocodile expert Grahame Webb, a Darwin zoologist, said he would not give a swimmer an even chance of crossing the 80-meter-wide (260-foot-wide) river.

"Someone swimming in an area with crocs like that ... crocs are going to zero in on them almost every time," Webb said."

Huffington Post link

Could make for quite the reality show. "Swim the river and live and win $1,000,000!"
DrJay

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am

DrJay wrote:BTW, great story on Nile crocs on 60 Minutes last night.

I saw that story too. What I found interessting is that crocodiles only attack near the surface of the water, and the only time the divers were in danger is getting out of and into the boat. I was amazed at how little interest the crocodiles had in the divers once they were submerged and how close the divers were able to get to them.
jazzcyclist

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:29 am

Pretty amazing. I'll pass on the "dive with the crocs" and stick with "swim with the dolphins."
DrJay

Postby Marlow » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:13 am

DrJay wrote:Pretty amazing. I'll pass on the "dive with the crocs" and stick with "swim with the dolphins."

Heck with that. I'm swimming with my Tinkerbell inflatable ring in my own pool.
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:02 am

DrJay wrote:
Could make for quite the reality show. "Swim the river and live and win $1,000,000!"

Cannot imagine any young male doing this. They're so risk aversive! :roll:
jeremyp

Postby bad hammy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:50 am

Does he get extra points for winning the Darwin Award in Darwin, AUS??
bad hammy

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:09 pm

bad hammy wrote:Does he get extra points for winning the Darwin Award in Darwin, AUS??

Excellent pickup!
DrJay

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:17 pm

Great descriptions and stories about the northern shores of Australia in a book, The Dreamtime Voyage, by Paul Caffyn, who sea kayaked around the continent in just under a year (about 10,000 mile) in 1981-82. He mentioned crocs, saw croc warning signs, but I don't think he encountered a live one. Sharks, sea snakes, a cyclone, and other adventures. There were three stretches of coast where sea cliffs extended far enough that he had to paddle for over 24 hours before he could take out. I think 120 miles was the longest.

http://www.amazon.com/Dreamtime-Voyage- ... ime+voyage

Oops. Guess no one will be buying this one. Out of print and $$$$. I have an autographed hardback edition.
DrJay

Postby jeremyp » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:49 am

More candidates. What to do when bored. :D
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2013 ... nt/100582/
jeremyp

Postby rsb2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

I hope everyone survived - the pictures are great!
rsb2

Postby br » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:25 am

Remote-Controlled Model Helicopter Fatally Strikes Its Operator

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/nyreg ... .html?_r=0

A 19-year-old man was killed on Thursday when a remote-controlled model helicopter that he was piloting in a Brooklyn park struck him in the head, the authorities said.

The man, Roman Pirozek Jr. of Woodhaven, Queens, had been operating the large model — measuring several feet end to end — when it hit him and the top of his head was sliced off, the police said.
br

Postby Marlow » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:34 am

br wrote: A 19-year-old man was killed on Thursday when a remote-controlled model helicopter . . . hit him and the top of his head was sliced off

Mother to young son: "So Bobby, what happened in the park today?" :shock:
Marlow

Postby DrJay » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:32 pm

DrJay

Next