Anyone had Plantar Fasciitis?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Anyone had Plantar Fasciitis?

Postby slowjo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:55 pm

I seem to have a fairly bad case of PF (at least I think that is what it is). I do not have pain right on my heel but all along the middle of the bottom of my foot -the pain sometimes reaches my ankle. I have a lot of pain on my left foot and a bit on my right as well. :(

I am not a long distance runner by any means and while I do stand on my feet a fair amount probably not much more than the average person. I wear good quality running shoes.

Has anyone had PF and if so did anything work for you? One very experienced sports medicine doctor told me it just has to run (or limp) its course.he had it himself and said it just goes away in time and rarely lasts more than a year! I have had enough of the pain though and I miss being able to run. I have snuck in a few walk/runs and while it doesn't make it worse it probably is nor making it better. Not sure I want to go the orthotics route but I would consider it (I had them once and hated them).

Just looking for encouraging ideas and stories from any fellow sufferes here.
slowjo

Re: Anyone had Plantar Fascititis?

Postby cladthin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:27 pm

slowjo wrote:I seem to have a fairly bad case of PF (at least I think that is what it is). I do not have pain right on my heel but all along the middle of the bottom of my foot -the pain sometimes reaches my ankle. I have a lot of pain on my left foot and a bit on my right as well. :(

I am not a long distance runner by any means and while I do stand on my feet a fair amount probably not much more than the average person. I wear good quality running shoes.

Has anyone had PF and if so did anything work for you? One very experienced sports medicine doctor told me it just has to run (or limp) its course.he had it himself and said it just goes away in time and rarely lasts more than a year! I have had enough of the pain though and I miss being able to run. I have snuck in a few walk/runs and while it doesn't make it worse it probably is nor making it better. Not sure I want to go the orthotics route but I would consider it (I had them once and hated them).

Just looking for encouraging ideas and stories from any fellow sufferes here.

I had it in high school and had a cortisone shot-did not help.

It came back with a vengeance about 2 years ago doing some incline treadmill walking over about a 3-4 wk. stretch. For me, simply adding some Dr. Scholls inserts (tri-comfort) or poor man's orthotics (not bulky at all) completely did the trick in providing some additional arch support. Give it a shot, not much of an investment for me at about $7.00/pr.at Wally world.
cladthin

Postby slowjo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks. It is a bugger isn't it? Never thought I would get it'! I will try Dr scholl can't hurt .

Cortisone shots are out. Dr friend said they don't help.
slowjo

Postby lovetorun » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:57 pm

I have been running for 50+ years and credit having Spenco insoles in ALL my shoes for not having any PF or other common foot problems. Spenco's are the best for absorbing shock, bar non. If you put them in all your shoes I think you will find your PF easing over time, and then healing.
lovetorun

Postby cladthin » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 pm

slowjo wrote:Thanks. It is a bugger isn't it? Never thought I would get it'! I will try Dr scholl can't hurt .

Cortisone shots are out. Dr friend said they don't help.

I thought it would take more for me to get past it the second time (many years apart) but it was simply a matter of inserting the Dr. Scholl's "tri-comfort" orthotics and maybe some additional arch support is all you need. Also, I had to make sure my shoes were tied not necessarily very tight but not so loosely that my feet would move around in the shoes. Try tying your shoes a bit tighter than usual.

Come to think of it the cortisone, I think did help, but only to a small degree but I felt the issue come up if, say, I inadvertently stepped onto an uneven surface I'd feel a stretching or pulling (possibly scar tissue) but then it disappeared until the treadmill of a few years ago but no problems since. Hope it works out for you.
cladthin

Postby schigh » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:59 am

Planta Fasciitis is very common. I agree that Spenco are the best off the shelf orthotics (the green ones). It's really a stepwise approach. If the Spenco's don't work, the next step are custom orthotics. I've used these since high school and can tell when I don't use them. Cortisone shots can have a role, but certainly not first line treatment and is definitely hit or miss with success (like cortisone shots anywhere, knees, shoulders, etc). There are also night splints, etc if you really can't get over the hump. This should all be bread and butter for a good podiatrist (with emphasis on good for proper management).

And do the stretching exercises!
schigh

Re: Anyone had Plantar Fasciitis?

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:41 am

When I lived in Boulder, I remember Benji Durden had a bad case of it. The only thing he found that worked was training in racing shoes, primarily because they are very flexible.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby slowjo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:26 am

I will see if we have Spenco orthotics here-I live in a small Canadian city. If only whale blubber would work....... :wink:

I had custom orthotics once and found them to be very uncomfortable and expensive. I would like to try the drugstore route first.

The pain is there all the time-sometimes just a dull ache and other times it feels like I am walking on nails. I can handle that but not being able to do much running or walking is killing me. And I am very happy with a couple of miles a few times a week. I am not and never will be Paula Radcliffesque!

I am going orthotic hunting today.....thanks for your ...support! :D
slowjo

Postby slowjo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:28 am

Quick online look shows I should be able to get Spenco locally.

I know I can get Dr. Scholls.
slowjo

Postby lonewolf » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:02 am

slowjo wrote:I will see if we have Spenco orthotics here-I live in a small Canadian city. If only whale blubber would work....... :wink: D

Victoria is a small Canadian city?
lonewolf

Postby slowjo » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:36 am

300,000 is pretty small...

We have REAL cities in Canada ya know.... :twisted:
slowjo

Postby lonewolf » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Heck, Lonewolf, Oklahoma, pop, 800. has Dr Schoals foot thingies. :)
lonewolf

Postby schigh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:26 am

Don't give up on the concept of custom orthotics if you end up needing them. I had one pair made that I won't wear. The trick is finding a good podiatrist who makes what is right for you as a runner and can make adjustments to them as necessary, etc.

You should be able to get Spenco's online too, I would think.
schigh

Postby odessaspeed » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:31 pm

I had it for 1.5 years and it sidelined all my training.

For me, treatment was rest / ice, and when starting back up into training, stretching the soleus and gastros *before* warming up ( calves in general have good blood flow throughout the day as you move around, so stretching before warm is fine ). I did do ART therapy, and I must say it was useful.

I also found I could do short repeats at faster tempos ( < 150M ) while I was getting over the problem. Anything over 200M and at a slower tempo, it just got worse....I think this means I pronate more when doing slower runs and when foot contact is not baised towards the ball of the foot. Jogging would immediately make the PF worse.

Good luck, it's really a bitch. It will feel like it'll never go away, but it will.
odessaspeed

Postby Wang Lung » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 pm

I got it 12 years ago playing flag football at 40 YO. I quit competing and limped for 18 months. 48 hours after a cortisone shot the pain was gone and hasn't returned in 10 years.

My Wife got it while training for a marathon about 5 years ago. She got the shot too. Same result.
Wang Lung

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:43 pm

I had a moderate case and went to see this old, eccentric podiatrist (circa 1976). He made me a pair of custom orthotics from a rubbery mold (this is still before commercial orthotics came on the market. I had been off of running for a week and had a marathon in a week. I asked how long before I should run and he said 'about an hour' -- and it was. The foot was not a problem in the race.

I eventually started gluing spenco insole to the orthotics, which worked for several years but eventually I go a pretty persistent cases (as in years-long persistent). I was able to resume training at a much lower level after some months off but whenever I built up it got sensitive -- sometimes I would finish my workout doing a race walk because the stresses were different.

At that point I turned to racing on the bike for several years. A decade later I wanted to gear up for a marathon and run 2:40 at 40 but the foot went several weeks before the race. I eventually weened myself from the various inserts and run without any now, but my running is pretty modest all around (duration and pace).
26mi235

Postby slowjo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Thanks for the new replies. Glad to know I am not alone although of course I know of others who have had it...just never thought it would happen to me. But then lots of things are happening to my body that are only for old people. Compared to my husband who needs both hips and both knees replaced I am in fine shape!

I got orthotics today and went for a short walk/run on a chip trail. Can't say my feet feel any better but I will persist and if things don't improve I will see someone. I know a couple of people who make orthotics so have connections. 8-)

I had frozen shoulder for almost two years....I remember thinking that I would have pain in my shoulders forever. I literally could not remember what it was like to have mobility and be pain free. But I DID get better and so I can get over this.

My plan right now is to wear orthotics, do strecthed (I have tight calves, roll a ball under my footand ice). I will TRY and be patient.

Too bad I don't like almost any other form of exercise...I will go to fitness classes and I am signing up for yoga for runners for class...my fifth attempt at liking yoga. :oops:

Oh and odessa-I think I am like you! My husband thinks I should run faster for shorter distances and being an exprinter I am good with that. He says I pronate more when I jog. Oh yippee repeat 200m...hahaha.
slowjo

Postby ezrida » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:26 am

Hi
For me it all started with plantar fasciitis. The best cardio exercise for someone with plantar fasciitis is swimming and riding a bicycle. I used to run and I got plantar fasciitis so I started to swim and cycle. Today I’m better with my PF so I ended up as a triathlete. I have finished my first olympic triathlon race two months ago. It did not all happen in one day - I am talking about 3 years now.
There are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it will not necessarily work for the other.
I have found taping very useful. Taping will keep your foot from getting injured again and will help you get through your daily routine and exercises.
Take care & Good luck
ezrida

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:31 am

short term - orthotics, taping, stretching, strengthening, motion control shoes
long term - strengthening, stretching (pull toes toward knee)
Bruce Kritzler

Postby Helen S » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:08 am

I had a severe case (as in walking down stairs backwards in the mornings) in 95- and had grown a heel spur as a result. Took 1 month off before seeing a doc who recommended strong doses of ibuprofin daily, stretched whole leg (from toes all the way up to quads and hammies and hip) and did arch strengthening and icing daily. Woke up pain free after about a week or so, and pain free when I started running again in another few weeks. When it would start up again with small amounts of discomfort, I would just increase calf stretching time to keep it at bay.
I liked my docs routine- he said try all of this, and if unsucessful, move to a night boot to stretch, and only coritsone or surgery as a last result.
Helen S

Postby jjreth » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:07 am

Plantar fasciitis is one of the more common complaints that I treat. I find that the combination of deep tissue massage from a highly skilled fascial therapist; self massage using foam roller therapy; and corrective exercise to be a very successful treatment.

Here is an article with self massage exercises specific to treating plantar fasciitis.

http://tao-fit.com/self-treatment-for-plantar-fasciitis

Jesse James
http://www.tao-fit.com
jjreth

Postby Pego » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:40 am

jjreth wrote:Plantar fasciitis is one of the more common complaints that I treat. I find that the combination of deep tissue massage from a highly skilled fascial therapist; self massage using foam roller therapy; and corrective exercise to be a very successful treatment.

Here is an article with self massage exercises specific to treating plantar fasciitis.

Jesse James

What data besides the "testimonials" support your "very successful treatment" statement?
Pego

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:46 am

Pego wrote:
jjreth wrote:Plantar fasciitis is one of the more common complaints that I treat. I find that the combination of deep tissue massage from a highly skilled fascial therapist; self massage using foam roller therapy; and corrective exercise to be a very successful treatment.

Jesse James

What data besides the "testimonials" support your "very successful treatment" statement?

Since when did infomercials need data?
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.