Dylan Thomas at the White Horse Tavern

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Dylan Thomas at the White Horse Tavern

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:22 pm

That probably would have been some interesting evenings 60 years ago:

I expected the show to be a sort of potted version of Mr. Plummer’s rollicking autobiography, “In Spite of Myself.” And, yes, Mr. Plummer does oblige with the occasional personal anecdote about his roistering among boldface names. But Richard Burton plays a supporting role in a story about wild nights at the White Horse Tavern in the West Village. The star is Dylan Thomas, regaling Burton, Mr. Plummer and the rest of the bar with stories and snatches of verse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/theat ... tival.html
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Dylan Thomas at the White Horse Tavern

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:26 pm

My mom had an album of DT reciting his poetry. I must have heard Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night a million times.

Rage, rage, against the dying of the light!

Kinda scary stuff for an 8-year-old . . . :shock:
Marlow

Re: Dylan Thomas at the White Horse Tavern

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am

I have that CD. I think you really caught the essence of the poem and at 8!

Haven't yet been to the White Horse in NYC where it all ended for DT, but I have been to his boathouse in Laugharne and also Swansea where it really began.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.