Is poker gambling?

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Is poker gambling?

Postby tandfman » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:08 am

A Federal judge in New York thinks not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyreg ... rules.html

Guy is indicted for running a poker game.

In a ruling that goes to the heart of what it means to play poker, Judge Jack B. Weinstein tossed out the conviction and vacated the indictment of the man who ran that gambling business. The judge’s reason: poker is more a game of skill than a game of chance, so game operators should not be prosecuted under the federal law the prohibits running an illegal gambling business.
tandfman

Re: Is poker gambling?

Postby lonewolf » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:21 am

It is when I do it. :(
lonewolf

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:55 am

Interesting question. In limit poker, I would say yes. But in the World Series of Poker no limit stuff, where you have all of these 20something-all-in mentalities dominating the game it seems like pure chance to make it to the final table, or even get very far.

What kind of skill is needed when you have pocket aces and you go all in? It is hardly chess.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 am

Conor Dary wrote:Interesting question. In limit poker, I would say yes. But in the World Series of Poker no limit stuff, where you have all of these 20something-all-in mentalities dominating the game it seems like pure chance to make it to the final table, or even get very far.

Indeed, I finally quit playing poker, cuz in the group I played with, one guy ALWAYS called! Yes, he always lost, but he sure took the 'skill' out of it. Best hand always won. :(
Marlow

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:49 am

Marlow wrote:
Conor Dary wrote:Interesting question. In limit poker, I would say yes. But in the World Series of Poker no limit stuff, where you have all of these 20something-all-in mentalities dominating the game it seems like pure chance to make it to the final table, or even get very far.

Indeed, I finally quit playing poker, cuz in the group I played with, one guy ALWAYS called! Yes, he always lost, but he sure took the 'skill' out of it. Best hand always won. :(

That is basics of low limit poker. Sit back and wait for the best hand... because you always get called. Poker Nation describes what a dreary life it really is playing poker for a living that way.

http://www.amazon.com/Poker-Nation-High ... ker+nation
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby j-a-m » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:11 pm

tandfman wrote:A Federal judge in New York thinks not.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/nyreg ... rules.html

Good call by the judge; seems that some common sense prevailed here.
j-a-m