50's Baseball Nicknames


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Dutra5 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:51 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:
My Dad worked at Grumman Aircraft in suburban NY and was a BIG Giant fan. His best memory of that afternoon is being at work, everyone in the world listening to the radio. When Thomson parked it, one rabid Dodger fan in my Dad's office was so upset he threw his battery radio out a 3 story window !


My dad was a mounted patrolman with NY's Finest and, since I was not yet born I'm not sure of the full story, my dad fell off his horse at one point injuring his back enough to pull limited duty for quite a long time. I often wondered if the two events were related :lol:

BTW...the Dodgers moved out of Brooklyn a few months prior to me being born. My mom has always said with a big smile that "they lost the Dodgers but gained a son that year". With the same smile she says "she's not sure they got the better deal". I guess you have to be of Irish descent to treat that as a joke. :lol:
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby gh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 pm

I was a huge Killebrew fan, partially because from an early age I was huge for the underdogs (and the Senators with Pascual,Ramos, Allison and Killer were about as underdogish as you could get) but also becuase he was from Idaho, which in the late '50s was one of two states I had ever visited!

Didn't he set a record for the most homers ever with fewest ribbies? As in, most homers (49 or so?) with fewer than 100 RBI. ????
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby JayIsMe » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:35 am

Not quite 60 myself but close. Spent my elementry school years in LA between 1959-65, a good time to be a dodger fan. I remember my teacher rolling the TV into the classroom so we could watch the 63 series opener against the yankees. Koufax was my favorite player (a lefty like me) and he just killed em. I got most of the nicknames above, recognized a bunch more after somebody else answered.

Here's a couple from the 60s-
The Dominican Dandy (just had an anniversary of sorts)
Stretch

and one from a little farther back-
Three Fingers
JayIsMe
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am

Three Fingers was not a little further back, but a LOT further back!
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:24 pm

JayIsMe wrote:Here's a couple from the 60s-
The Dominican Dandy (just had an anniversary of sorts)
Stretch

Juan Marichal and Willie McCovey! How about Baby Bull.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:28 pm

cullman wrote:
JayIsMe wrote:Here's a couple from the 60s-
The Dominican Dandy (just had an anniversary of sorts)
Stretch

Juan Marichal and Willie McCovey! How about Baby Bull.


Orlando Cepeda.
Dutra5
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:51 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:55 pm

It is indeed Orlando Cepeda!

Lots of Giants and Dodgers fans but I guess no Stinkees fans. Nobody has figured out who "Bullet Bob" is...he played for that other New York team in the 50s.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:55 am

cullman wrote:It is indeed Orlando Cepeda!

Lots of Giants and Dodgers fans but I guess no Stinkees fans. Nobody has figured out who "Bullet Bob" is...he played for that other New York team in the 50s.



Is that Bob Turley ?
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 am

Yes it is. Bob Turley had 2 wins and a save in Games 5, 6 and 7 on three consecutive days and was named the 1958 World Series MVP.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Davidokun » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:46 pm

gh wrote:Didn't he set a record for the most homers ever with fewest ribbies? As in, most homers (49 or so?) with fewer than 100 RBI. ????

I looked it up on the MLB Web site. In 1963, Killebrew hit 45 home runs with 96 RBI, which established a new record for most home runs in a single season with less than 100 RBI. The previous record holder was Mickey Mantle. Killebrew's record has since been matched by Barry Bonds, then surpassed by Alfonso Soriano.

All-time leaders:

Code: Select all
Player             Team        Year   HR   RBI
----------------------------------------------
Alfonso Soriano    Nationals   2006   46   95
Harmon Killebrew   Twins       1963   45   96
Barry Bonds        Giants      2003   45   90
Hank Aaron         Braves      1969   44   97
Davey Johnson      Braves      1973   43   99
Matt Williams      Giants      1994   43   96
Duke Snider        Dodgers     1957   40   92
Mickey Mantle      Yankees     1958   42   97
Mickey Mantle      Yankees     1960   40   94
Rico Petrocelli    Red Sox     1969   40   97
Hank Aaron         Braves      1973   40   96
Darrell Evans      Tigers      1985   40   94
Ken Griffey, Jr.   Mariners    1994   40   90
Adam Dunn          Reds        2006   40   92
Adrian Gonzalez    Padres      2009   40   99


Killebrew hit 49 twice, in 1964 and 1969, with 111 and 140 RBI, respectively.
Davidokun
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:31 am
Location: Brea, California

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:52 pm

I'm late seeing this thread (too much time spent on track!).

The last names are the easy part of the question, here are the first names of the people whose names haven't been identified yet:

The Man -Stanley Frank Musial
Shot Gun--didn't know this one
Vinegar Bend-Wilmer Mizell
Whitey-Edward Charles Ford
Red-Albert Schoendienst
Scooter-Phil Rizzuto
Pee Wee-Harold Reese
Duke-Edwin Snider
Yogi-Lawrence Peter Berra
Smokey-Forrest Burgess
The Lip-Leo Durocher
Country-Enos Slaughter
Reading Rifle-Carl Furillo
Mad Monk-Russ Meyer
Paw Paw--don't know

I also don't know the $64,000 Question question.

Here are some quiz questions of mine:

Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

Other nicknames:
Kitten
Kitty
Ducky
Minnie
Rocky
Ozark Ike
Daddy Wags
Ding Dong
Put Put
Oisk
Turk (two of them that I can think of)
The Walking Man
Doctor Strangeglove (but not known by that until after the movie)
Deacon
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Minnie ( Orestes ) Minoso
Turk Lown (sp? )

Rocky Bridges

Oisk Carl Erskine
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:56 pm

DJ. Correct for the Mad Monk and the Reading Rifle (a.k.a. Skoonj). I'm over 60 so i won't answer any of the names put up by others (unless they are still up there for another 3 weeks or so). I was a Brooklyn Dodger fan and a fan of Furillo and can honestly say that I was unaware of his nicknames until I came across them in the Baseball Encyclopedia. Going through it made me realize that a lot of ballplayers had often obscure nicknames.
I'm happy to see that "Paw Paw" is still on the board. i was aware of it when he played.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:18 pm

dukehjsteve wrote:Minnie ( Orestes ) Minoso
Turk Lown (sp? )

Rocky Bridges

Oisk Carl Erskine


But what were the first names for Minoso, Lown and Bridges? The full name for another Turk?

There was also a Rocky Nelson, but I don't remember his first name, so you're working on the Rocky I know!
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:57 pm

dj wrote:Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

His father's nickname was Perucho aka The Bull. I believe Orlando's teammates called him Cha Cha.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby gh » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

don't forget "Big Klu" (painfully obvios)
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 am

cullman wrote:
dj wrote:Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

His father's nickname was Perucho aka The Bull. I believe Orlando's teammates called him Cha Cha.


Correct on both.
What's the answer on your $64,00 Question? I know What's on second, so I should ask Who's the answer? But Who's on first!
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:01 am

gh wrote:don't forget "Big Klu" (painfully obvios)



And he cut off the sleeves of his jersey to show off his muscles....
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby tandfman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:34 am

dj wrote:I'm late seeing this thread (too much time spent on track!).

The last names are the easy part of the question, here are the first names of the people whose names haven't been identified yet:

The Man -Stanley Frank Musial
Shot Gun--didn't know this one
Vinegar Bend-Wilmer Mizell
Whitey-Edward Charles Ford
Red-Albert Schoendienst
Scooter-Phil Rizzuto
Pee Wee-Harold Reese
Duke-Edwin Snider
Yogi-Lawrence Peter Berra
Smokey-Forrest Burgess
The Lip-Leo Durocher
Country-Enos Slaughter
Reading Rifle-Carl Furillo
Mad Monk-Russ Meyer
Paw Paw--don't know

I also don't know the $64,000 Question question.

Here are some quiz questions of mine:

Why was Orlando Cepeda called the Baby Bull, and what was his nickname that teammates used?

Other nicknames:
Kitten
Kitty
Ducky
Minnie
Rocky
Ozark Ike
Daddy Wags
Ding Dong
Put Put
Oisk
Turk (two of them that I can think of)
The Walking Man
Doctor Strangeglove (but not known by that until after the movie)
Deacon

There is no such thing as too much time spent on track!

Shuba's first name was correctly identified as George early in the thread.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15042
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 am

Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby Conor Dary » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:35 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?


Astronomical got me to think of John Blue Moon Odom. But wasn't he a pitcher and more in the 70's with the A's.
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:41 am

dukehjsteve wrote:Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?


Wally Moon?
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:24 am

dj wrote:What's the answer on your $64,00 Question? I know What's on second, so I should ask Who's the answer? But Who's on first!

I did a little research through my archives because something didn't seem right about this piece of trivia that bar room baseball buffs have been throwing around for decades. :? The show was in 1955 and the playoff game was in 1951 which would make the incident pretty fresh in the minds of any Dodger or Giants fan.

Anyhow the answer is Myrtle Power, a 71 year old grandmother and Brooklyn Dodgers fan. She won $32,000 by correctly answering:
"The official record books list seven players (as of 1955) who are credited with over 3,000 hits during their careers in the Major Leagues. Ty Cobb heads the list with 4 191 hits garnered in his 24 years of play. Name the remaining 6 players with a lifetime total of 3,000 or more hits."
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby cullman » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 am

...Rocky Colavito is another Rocky and Daddy Wags is Leon Wagner.
cullman
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: ...in training...for something...

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:16 pm

dj wrote:
dukehjsteve wrote:Who was an "astronomical" outfielder for the Cardinals in the late 50's, then for the Dodgers ?


Wally Moon?



dj got it !
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 am

Since the last post was nearly a week ago I suppose I can bring myself back from my self-imposed exile and interject some hints to still unanswered questions.
I know the answers to:
Kitten - a "perfect" pitcher;
Ducky - HOF from the 30s & 40s;
The Walking Man - almost as many bases on balls as hits;
Dr. Strangeglove - a power hitting first baseman;
and of course, since I posted him, Paw Paw, a Yankee Killer in his own right, he was for a while a teammate of the "Yankee Killer" Frank Lary.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:16 am

KDFINE wrote:Since the last post was nearly a week ago I suppose I can bring myself back from my self-imposed exile and interject some hints to still unanswered questions.
I know the answers to:
Kitten - a "perfect" pitcher;
Ducky - HOF from the 30s & 40s;
The Walking Man - almost as many bases on balls as hits;
Dr. Strangeglove - a power hitting first baseman;
and of course, since I posted him, Paw Paw, a Yankee Killer in his own right, he was for a while a teammate of the "Yankee Killer" Frank Lary.



Is "Kitten" Harvey Haddix ?
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 am

dukehjsteve wrote:
KDFINE wrote:Since the last post was nearly a week ago I suppose I can bring myself back from my self-imposed exile and interject some hints to still unanswered questions.
I know the answers to:
Kitten - a "perfect" pitcher;
Ducky - HOF from the 30s & 40s;
The Walking Man - almost as many bases on balls as hits;
Dr. Strangeglove - a power hitting first baseman;
and of course, since I posted him, Paw Paw, a Yankee Killer in his own right, he was for a while a teammate of the "Yankee Killer" Frank Lary.



Is "Kitten" Harvey Haddix ?


Yes.

And the nicknames are restricted to players in the 1950s, so Ducky Medwick (originally Ducky Wucky, but media members tended to drop the Wucky) is not correct.
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby KDFINE » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:39 am

DJ. As soon as you rejected Medwick it clicked with me as to who the Ducky of the 50s was. He was a light hitting powerless utility infielder, who nonetheless managed to play 19 years in the big league (which surprised me when I just looked him up). If I hadn't have had his baseball card as a kid I probably would have forgotten him.
KDFINE
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dj » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:39 am

KDFINE wrote:DJ. As soon as you rejected Medwick it clicked with me as to who the Ducky of the 50s was. He was a light hitting powerless utility infielder, who nonetheless managed to play 19 years in the big league (which surprised me when I just looked him up). If I hadn't have had his baseball card as a kid I probably would have forgotten him.


And his link to T&F is . . . ?
dj
 
Posts: 6199
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 am

JayIsMe wrote:and one from a little farther back- Three Fingers


Mordecai Three-Finger Brown. Got his hand caught in a feed chopper on the family farm as a youth. Pitched mostly for the Cubs, on their last World Series winning team in 1908.

Includes pics of his hand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordecai_Brown
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:20 am

Who was "Doggie"?
Last edited by DrJay on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:31 am

The Destroyer?
Last edited by DrJay on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:34 am

Blue Moon?
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

Spaceman?
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:54 am

DrJay wrote:Blue Moon?



Odom.
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby DrJay » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:55 am

The Hawk?
DrJay
 
Posts: 5485
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Woodland Park, CO

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

2 more 50's, but don't ask me their first names... I don't know them:

Peanuts

Puddin'Head
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:57 am

DrJay wrote:The Hawk?


Harrelsen
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Re: 50's Baseball Nicknames

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:58 am

Slats
dukehjsteve
 
Posts: 6057
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fishers, IN

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests