Wud-I-miss?! (Sex in the City?)

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Wud-I-miss?! (Sex in the City?)

Postby Marlow » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:36 am

Home-page-linked article by Michael Johnson (no, not that one) begins thusly:

Okay, we all know that the London Olympics were successful and full of great surprises. Good for the winners, bad for the losers. But toward the end, it was getting more and more difficult to concentrate on fractions of seconds or bits of centimeters. Official swimsuits and track garb have shrunk below bikini size and were enough to set public fantasies racing. This was possibly the sexiest Olympics yet, flesh everywhere and proud of it -- the best legal turn-on since the tutu hit the Royal Ballet.

How'd I miss that??!! All I saw was fit athletes competing - even the beach volleyball women were covered up! Many of the female swimmers had suits right out of the 1910s, down to their knees.

I'm a red-blooded American male, stereotyped (sometimes deservedly so) as being obsessed with the female form, but I sure missed the SEXing up of these Olympics. If anything, I thought it decorous. I do, however, think that NBC spent waaay too much prime-time on diving (esp. of the pointless synchro kind), if that's what he's talking about there, but their suits were identical to every other Olympics, all the way back to Mark Spitz in 1972!
Marlow

Re: Wud-I-miss?! (Sex in the City?)

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 am

Maybe this was his first exposure to womens beach volleyball, whose uniforms are, by 1910 bathing standards, rather abbreviated. :)
And yep, Misty May and Kerry are heck uv a athletes.
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:49 am

Marlow wrote:I do, however, think that NBC spent waaay too much prime-time on diving (esp. of the pointless synchro kind)

I had an appointment with my dental hygienist yesterday (joy!). She was telling me about her Olympic impressions. She loved diving (synchro especially). She also complained how come women beach volleyballers are so much less covered than the males. I just nodded, what else can you do when she wields a sharp object in your mouth?
Pego

Postby j-a-m » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:59 am

Maybe the clothing hasn't changed much, but the picture quality was better with HD, more cameras and what not?
j-a-m

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:42 pm

Pego wrote:
Marlow wrote:I do, however, think that NBC spent waaay too much prime-time on diving (esp. of the pointless synchro kind)

I had an appointment with my dental hygienist yesterday (joy!). She was telling me about her Olympic impressions. She loved diving (synchro especially). She also complained how come women beach volleyballers are so much less covered than the males. I just nodded, what else can you do when she wields a sharp object in your mouth?

Or, was she complaining that the men VBers wore more clothing than the women?
lonewolf

Postby Pego » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 pm

lonewolf wrote:
Pego wrote:

Or, was she complaining that the men VBers wore more clothing than the women?

Yes.
Pego

Postby Friar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:20 pm

The only real complaints I ever recall hearing about Uni's were the French CC teams at WCC that were being led by Annette Sergent at the time (1990?) I don't remember what they were wearing (thongs)?

I didn't think London was a particularly immodest Games?
Friar

Postby jhc68 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:18 am

All I take from this post is an affirmation of my view that track people being outraged by beach volleyball skimpy costumes is a pot-calling-the-kettle situation.
jhc68