Closing Ceremony--Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Closing Ceremony--Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Postby Flumpy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:12 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Question for our British posters: Who emerged as Britain's biggest star of the Olympics? I know Jessica Ennis was the biggest star going into the Olympics but has that changed? Also, who dominated the front pages of the newspapers on the morning of August 5?

It's REALLY hard to say at the moment. We did so ridiculously well that no 1 person has completely dominated the post games publicity.

Hard to look past Wiggins, Ennis, Farah and Hoy though.

Cyclist Laura Trott and especially boxer Nicola Adams are going to be huge stars as well.

Feel a bit sorry for the gold medallists in the more obscure sports. One woman got 2 gold medals in horsey things but has been almost completely ignored.

It seems the trick was to win early on. By the 2nd week the novelty had worn off a bit and the attentions was not as all encompassing.
Flumpy

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:16 am

Flumpy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Question for our British posters: Who emerged as Britain's biggest star of the Olympics? I know Jessica Ennis was the biggest star going into the Olympics but has that changed? Also, who dominated the front pages of the newspapers on the morning of August 5?

It's REALLY hard to say at the moment. We did so ridiculously well that no 1 person has completely dominated the post games publicity.

Hard to look past Wiggins, Ennis, Farah and Hoy though.

Cyclist Laura Trott and especially boxer Nicola Adams are going to be huge stars as well.

Feel a bit sorry for the gold medallists in the more obscure sports. One woman got 2 gold medals in horsey things but has been almost completely ignored.

It seems the trick was to win early on. By the 2nd week the novelty had worn off a bit and the attentions was not as all encompassing.

I guess that makes sense since both cycling and athletics are popular sports in Europe.

What about the front pages on August 5, Ennis or Farah?
jazzcyclist

Postby j-a-m » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:34 am

Flumpy wrote:One woman got 2 gold medals in horsey things but has been almost completely ignored.

And rightfully so, given that the horse did the work.
j-a-m

Postby marknhj » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:39 am

After getting back from London last night and being up since 3am with jet lag, I decided to watch the Closing Ceremony this morning before coming to work. It was a marvelous representation of modern English culture, bordering on creative genius in my opinion, and I loved NBC having to bleep Eric idle! I thought I'd had a DVR malfunction though, but just discovered NBC edited out: Ray Davies, Kate Bush, The Who and Muse. WTF? they really are pathetic.
marknhj

Postby CookyMonzta » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 am

marknhj wrote:After getting back from London last night and being up since 3am with jet lag, I decided to watch the Closing Ceremony this morning before coming to work. It was a marvelous representation of modern English culture, bordering on creative genius in my opinion, and I loved NBC having to bleep Eric idle! I thought I'd had a DVR malfunction though, but just discovered NBC edited out: Ray Davies, Kate Bush, The Who and Muse. WTF? they really are pathetic.

Bet the farm that someone on YouTube will post the unedited, uncensored, full-length version of the Closing Ceremonies. And if it does get posted, grab it before NBC screams bloody murder and blows the whistle on them to take it down.
CookyMonzta

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:17 am

I think NBC showed more of the Ceremony, the tail end with The Who and whatnot, AFTER their pilot for Animal Clinic came on at 10 pm, or whatever that new sitcom is called. Pretty stupid.
DrJay

Postby EPelle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:29 am

According to this morning's press reports, Mo Farah may be knighted.

5-August: It's simple to search and peruse the online versions on PressDisplay, which appears to be a more comprehensive collection of available front-pages (and full newspapers) than the links you've been providing.
EPelle

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:36 pm

EPelle wrote:5-August: It's simple to search and peruse the online versions on PressDisplay, which appears to be a more comprehensive collection of available front-pages (and full newspapers) than the links you've been providing.

Thanks Epelle.
jazzcyclist

Postby toyracer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:12 pm

gh wrote:I went into full-tears mode at Imagine

As did I...almost as soon as Lennon's face appeared on the monitor after the live singers had finished the opening lines. The "face" they made sealed the deal.

As for the closing ceremony; we could have a party, play the video of the closing ceremony. and that party would rock. At least that was the consensus here in Jamaica. The inflatable octopus; we need one, with dread locks. Transformers do exist; they are disguised as London taxi cabs. Suicide doors on a Rolls? Oh yeah.

Just wonderful.

Well, except for Jessie J on "we will rock you"... There is nobody like Freddie but if a woman were to try it would have to be someone like Joan Jett... but having the rest of Queen there made up for it plus the audience and athletes chimed in to drown her out.

I'm still wondering why there was no performance by Elton John. I kept anticipating it all afternoon, constantly asking "where's Reginald"?
toyracer

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm

DrJay wrote:lonewolf, Have you watched any Monty Python? ("Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is from their movie "Life of Brian", a parody on the life of Christ.) If not, check out youtube for the following skits: The Dead Parrot skit, the Spam skit, the Upperclass Twit of the Year skit, and the Funniest Joke in the World skit. Among their best.

BTW, a couple of years ago I emailed my Bright Side of Life idea linked in the first post here, to the London Organizing Committee. No idea if they were headed that way already, but maybe I'll take a little credit. :)

I'd like an argument please.
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

DrJay wrote:Can someone explain to me how London can host the Games and not include Elton John in the Opening or Closing Ceremony?

I thought he was going to be part of it to the point in which I expected him to be the next performer after the Who were carried off the stage.

I'm still waiting. :lol:

For some reason I had the impression that it was said he would be there.
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:08 pm

shivfan wrote:
And Jessie J doing Freddie Mercury....puh-leez!
:roll:

No one should do Freddie although George Michael did a fine job on "Somebody to Love" at a Queen tribute a number of years ago.

The odd thing is they didn't have her continue into "We Are the Champions". Could there be a more appropriate place for the tune?
:?:
Dutra5

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:11 pm

DrJay wrote:I think NBC showed more of the Ceremony, the tail end with The Who and whatnot, AFTER their pilot for Animal Clinic came on at 10 pm, or whatever that new sitcom is called. Pretty stupid.

They only showed The Who and then abrubtly cut to Bob Costas waxing poetic. If Kate Bush and Ray Davies indeed performed, I'd rather skip the waxing and get to the showing.
Dutra5

Postby cullman » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:11 pm

lonewolf wrote:I watched that whole thing, hoping something would happen that I could make sense of..didn't happen :(

Of course not. NBC cut the bejabbers out of anything that resembled content...but you did get to see them shill their new show Animal Practice. Shit....now that's TV! :P

cman
cullman

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:25 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
DrJay wrote:lonewolf, Have you watched any Monty Python? ("Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" is from their movie "Life of Brian", a parody on the life of Christ.) If not, check out youtube for the following skits: The Dead Parrot skit, the Spam skit, the Upperclass Twit of the Year skit, and the Funniest Joke in the World skit. Among their best.

BTW, a couple of years ago I emailed my Bright Side of Life idea linked in the first post here, to the London Organizing Committee. No idea if they were headed that way already, but maybe I'll take a little credit. :)

Ha! (Had to think about that one a minute.)

You certainly can find one on this message board. Just say something nasty about the other guys' sprinters and there you go!
DrJay

Postby mump boy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:57 am

Kate Bush didn't perform, the orchestra play Running Up That Hill while dancers came on with boxes and made some stairs !!

Also what's the obsession with Elton John ?? It is Dame Shirley and Dame Vera who were missing :(
Last edited by mump boy on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:08 am

EPelle wrote:

According to this morning's press reports, Mo Farah may be knighted.

I'm pretty certain he won't. There was a statement made earlier in the year saying that sporting achievement will no longer be a guarantee of honours which was probably a good thing considering how many would have to be given out.

They#ll all be made OBE's or something and some may get enobled at a later date if they are seen to have contributed further. Making Mo Farah a Sir would be ridiculous.
Flumpy

Postby Flumpy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:12 am

jazzcyclist wrote:What about the front pages on August 5, Ennis or Farah?

All 3 of them - Farah, Ennis and Rutherford.
Flumpy

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:14 pm

DrJay wrote:
Dutra5 wrote:

Ha! (Had to think about that one a minute.)

You certainly can find one on this message board. Just say something nasty about the other guys' sprinters and there you go!

About six months ago on a message board regarding a completely different subject....baseball....me and another poster did virtually the whole skit verbatim over a couple of days and most of the posters had absolutley no idea that we weren't really going at it. :lol:
Dutra5

Postby JRM » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:54 pm

DrJay wrote:You certainly can find one on this message board. Just say something nasty about the other guys' sprinters and there you go!

Yep. And true to form... "This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction!"

.... No it isn't!
JRM

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:05 pm

JRM wrote:
DrJay wrote:You certainly can find one on this message board. Just say something nasty about the other guys' sprinters and there you go!

Yep. And true to form... "This isn't an argument, it's just contradiction!"

.... No it isn't!

I'm sorry. I'm not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
Dutra5

Postby JRM » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Was David Bowie also MIA? Shame, London 2012....
JRM

Postby Daisy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 am

JRM wrote:Was David Bowie also MIA? Shame, London 2012....

In the closing ceremony they had a montage of him through the ages along with snippets of his songs.
Daisy

Postby cullman » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:18 am

Wot, no George Formby either? He was Great Britain's highest paid entertainer from the mid 1930s until 1942. His tax bill for 1946 alone was £500,000!

cman
cullman

Postby jeremyp » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 am

Is it just me or did The Rolling Stones get snubbed in the ceremonies. Arguably either the best or second best British RocknRoll band of the 60-80's. I don't think they used a single song of theirs. Too edgy?
jeremyp

Postby Rog » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 am

No Gracie Fields either :shock:
Rog

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 am

One report I saw said that Elton John was originally supposed to be the musical director but had a falling out with the organizers. Nevertheless, if this was supposed to be a send up to British music, he deserved at least a reference. Ditto for Sting, Tom Jones, and Petula Clark (not that I am a fan of all of them) unless I missed something.

I saw the whole ceremony on BBC and thought it off the mark and excessive. Yes, there should be some entertainment but the focus of the ceremony is supposed to be the athletes and the closing of the Olympics. They became an afterthought at best. And we had our first 18-day Olympics in recent years as the closing ceremony went past midnight.
Halfmiler2

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:42 pm

jeremyp wrote:The Rolling Stones . . . Too edgy?

Indeed. The very thought of Let's Spend the Night Together just gives me the vapors!! :wink:
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Marlow wrote:

Indeed. The very thought of Let's Spend the Night Together just gives me the vapors!! :wink:

"Coz you see I'm on a losin streak???" 8-)
jeremyp

Postby cullman » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm

Marlow wrote:

The Stones could have rolled out the sarcastic sanitized version they performed on The Ed Sullivan Show, "Let's Spend Some Time Together" :P
cullman

Next