Garry Hill appears on CBC TV...

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Garry Hill appears on CBC TV...

Postby cladthin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:33 pm

cullman wrote:
skiboo wrote:At the risk of revealing how obtuse I am, may I request some assistance with using the above link, which doesn't (so far as I can see) yield anything Hill-esque? :?

It has disappeared into CBC's black hole of an archives and there search engine isn't the greatest. I'll get my team of crack researchers to hunt around for the piece. :)

When I tried to view the video on the same day as the posting, the CBC had already moved to the evening report and just as you allude to, the search engine was not very helpful in finding the one in question.
cladthin

Postby lonewolf » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Think how it would facilitate pronunciation if everyone in the world were named Smith, Jones, Brown, Blue, Black, White, Green, Pink, Red .......
lonewolf

Postby gh » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:13 pm

That sounds like a Quentin Tarantino movie.
gh

Postby Powell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:03 am

gh wrote:
Powell wrote:
gh wrote:You'll note that for years now (thanks Apple, for making the technology simple) that T&FN has been fairly scrupulous about including diacritics on all athletes names

I don't think you did that with Polish names, until very recently.

That has been a function of Apple software; Romance-language accents were part of the OS about from day one. It was only (5-6?) years ago that they added a package that made doing the Slavic stuff possible.

That may be, but in 2007 it was certainly possible. You have Ziółkowski (written incorrectly, but Polish diacriticals are there), and Małachowski, but in the women's rankings of the same year Anna Jesień is missing her diacritical. Same thing in 2008 - the diacriticals are missing in both Jesień's and Włodarczyk's names. It's not until 2009 that you started using them consistently.
Powell

Postby Pego » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 am

Marlow wrote:So, since we hear it both ways (on TV!), is a name like Ivanova

Ihvan-OH'va

or

Ih - VAN'uhva

?

It seems Brits pronounce it the latter way and American commentators the former.

Misplacing accents I can live with, no problem. Pronouncing Hejnová as "hezhnova" instead of "heynova", Chára as "chara" instead of "khara", Kiss as "kiss" instead of "kish"...drives me nuts.
Pego

Postby Walt Murphy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:06 am

cullman wrote:http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/olympics/canadian-behind-the-olympic-stadium-mic-feels-no-need-to-defend-himself/article4459503/

<<The trickiest language for names? English.

“No language has fewer rules that can be followed,” he said. He recalled calling a college track meet years ago and announcing the name of one athlete, Laura Lavine, by pronouncing it “La Vine.” A teammate came up to the booth and corrected Hill, saying the pronunciation was “La Veen.” Then another woman came up and told Hill to go back to “La Vine.”

“I said, ‘No, no we talked to one of her teammates. It’s La Veen,’” Hill said. “And she said, ‘Well, talk to me, I’m her mother.’”>>

cman

Mothers aren't always the best source. While getting ready for the women's mile at the NY Games at Columbia one year, I discovered that Jennifer Lanctot's parents were sitting right next to our TV position. I asked mom for the correct way to say the family name. "Well, we say 'lanc-tot', but Jennifer prefers the French version, lanc-tow"!
Walt Murphy

Postby Powell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:19 am

Walt Murphy wrote:I asked mom for the correct way to say the family name. "Well, we say 'lanc-tot', but Jennifer prefers the French version, lanc-tow"!

She must have gotten the idea from Keeping Up Appearances 8-)
Powell

Postby Marlow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 am

Pego wrote:...drives me nuts.

Aha! Another mystery solved. :wink:
Marlow

Postby gh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:43 am

Powell wrote:
gh wrote:
Powell wrote:
gh wrote:You'll note that for years now (thanks Apple, for making the technology simple) that T&FN has been fairly scrupulous about including diacritics on all athletes names

I don't think you did that with Polish names, until very recently.

That has been a function of Apple software; Romance-language accents were part of the OS about from day one. It was only (5-6?) years ago that they added a package that made doing the Slavic stuff possible.

That may be, but in 2007 it was certainly possible. You have Ziółkowski (written incorrectly, but Polish diacriticals are there), and Małachowski, but in the women's rankings of the same year Anna Jesień is missing her diacritical. Same thing in 2008 - the diacriticals are missing in both Jesień's and Włodarczyk's names. It's not until 2009 that you started using them consistently.

Not all letters are created equal relative to the fonts used in the magazine. Some font families simply don't (or didn't) have everything needed.

Even today, one of our most commonly used fonts can't do Vlašić properly, so if her name appears in a headline, it may show as Vlašic even though in the body copy (different font) it does show properly.

At any rate, we're constantly working to be one of the few English-language publications on the planet that gets this kind of thing right, and for this you feel the need to continually bust our balls?
gh

Postby Vault-emort » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:53 am

OK - so have I got this correct???? The Canadian name 'Garry Hill' is correctly pronouced as 'Give Em Hell'? :D
Vault-emort

Postby Powell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:25 am

gh wrote:At any rate, we're constantly working to be one of the few English-language publications on the planet that gets this kind of thing right, and for this you feel the need to continually bust our balls?

Continually? I don't believe I ever commented on the issue before. I was just responding to what you said about having been scrupulous with diacriticals for years.
But yes, I do recognize the fact that you made the effort and you mostly get them right now.
Powell

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Having been at the Games in 1984, 1996, and 2012, it has been interesting to see how the IAAF has loosened up. Poor Bob Hersh was in a verbal strait jacket in 1984 - much in the way of restrictions. It was nice to see Garry have a bit of freedom this time around and I do not think he abused it.
Halfmiler2

Postby gh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Bob broke through many barriers in LA in '84.... if he was in a straightjacket then, all the Olympic announcers who preceded him were in solitary confinement on Devil's Island.

I was shocked at my first games in Munich in '72; there was less information than I got at my high school meets when the guidance counselor would run a speaker truck up to the track and make announcements from the front seat.

But IAAF/IOC mandate in '72 (and pretty sure until Bob took some liberties in LA), the protocol consisted of this, for example. A chime would ring and the announcer would say, "now on the scoreboard, the start list for heat 1 of the men's 100 meters." If the reigning Olympic champion or the WR holder was in the race, he would also say, "please note in lane 4, the ........."

Gun would go off, they'd race, and a few minutes after the race the announcer would say "the results are now on the scoreboard."

And that was that. Same for every race.
gh

Next