Garry Hill appears on CBC TV...

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Garry Hill appears on CBC TV...

Postby Powell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:25 am

gh wrote:At any rate, we're constantly working to be one of the few English-language publications on the planet that gets this kind of thing right, and for this you feel the need to continually bust our balls?

Continually? I don't believe I ever commented on the issue before. I was just responding to what you said about having been scrupulous with diacriticals for years.
But yes, I do recognize the fact that you made the effort and you mostly get them right now.
Powell

Postby Halfmiler2 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm

Having been at the Games in 1984, 1996, and 2012, it has been interesting to see how the IAAF has loosened up. Poor Bob Hersh was in a verbal strait jacket in 1984 - much in the way of restrictions. It was nice to see Garry have a bit of freedom this time around and I do not think he abused it.
Halfmiler2

Postby gh » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Bob broke through many barriers in LA in '84.... if he was in a straightjacket then, all the Olympic announcers who preceded him were in solitary confinement on Devil's Island.

I was shocked at my first games in Munich in '72; there was less information than I got at my high school meets when the guidance counselor would run a speaker truck up to the track and make announcements from the front seat.

But IAAF/IOC mandate in '72 (and pretty sure until Bob took some liberties in LA), the protocol consisted of this, for example. A chime would ring and the announcer would say, "now on the scoreboard, the start list for heat 1 of the men's 100 meters." If the reigning Olympic champion or the WR holder was in the race, he would also say, "please note in lane 4, the ........."

Gun would go off, they'd race, and a few minutes after the race the announcer would say "the results are now on the scoreboard."

And that was that. Same for every race.
gh

Previous