Dumbest OG TV Commentaries

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Dumbest OG TV Commentaries

Postby jhc68 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:12 pm

Some initial entries:

1) During the opening ceremonies as the Ugandans walked in Bob Costas quoted someone (Churchill, I think) who praised Uganda as a beautiful place, and Costas says he "never met Idi Amin". WTF !?! Why would anyone say that for millions of people to hear?

2) Tonight some talking head at poolside measured the importance of a dive by giving stats about the number of people who had friended the diver on facebook...

3) Finally, the stupidest thing I have ever heard Costas say (and that is going some.)
He tells a wide-eyed John McEnroe that before Karch Kiraly the universally recognized best volleyball player on earth was... wait for it... Wilt Chamberlain!!!
(For some perspective, Wilt was about as good a V-baller as he was a high jumper, which is to say that he never came close to jumping anywhere near his height)
jhc68

Re: Dumbest OG TV Commentaries

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:20 pm

Will was also a decent ShotPutter, what with all that leverage. I think his HJ, using the old Western Roll, was around 2m. In fairness, Bob wasn't really claiming Wilt was the best VolleyBall player, as he immediately qualified it with "amateur"; it was just "filler" anyway.

I chortled that NBC felt obliged to inform the clueless what the Union Jack was, yet hardly bother to clarify the basic rules for less known sports like Water Polo, where there's a whistle every few seconds. Guess Team HandBall isn't worth getting into...
Jackaloupe

Postby Per Andersen » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Wilt's best in the HJ was 1.97 (6-5 1/2). He was a straddler. He was nothing compared to Russel.
Per Andersen

Postby dj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:15 am

Wilt was nowhere near the shot putter he was claimed to be.
dj

Postby DecFan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:32 am

dj wrote:Wilt was nowhere near the shot putter he was claimed to be.

In the statement "Wilt was nowhere near the X he was claimed to be" there are very many possible values for X that make the statement true.
DecFan

Postby dukehjsteve » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:37 am

DecFan wrote:
dj wrote:Wilt was nowhere near the shot putter he was claimed to be.

In the statement "Wilt was nowhere near the X he was claimed to be" there are very many possible values for X that make the statement true.

And his best X of all is X-rated.......
dukehjsteve

Postby mump boy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:04 am

We were told by a weightlifting commentator

"It's great to have short arms when jerking over your head"

:shock: :oops:
mump boy

Postby catson52 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:10 am

I am dreading the NBC track coverage. Aging pretty boy, smug, ignorant, Bob Costas, and the others. Can one somehow hook onto other coverages, e.g. CBC or BBC - or are those going to be equally irritating?
catson52

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 am

John Inverdale's performance in the rowing is certainly up there in the moronic commentating stakes. :roll:
nevetsllim

Postby Pego » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:20 am

catson52 wrote:I am dreading the NBC track coverage. Aging pretty boy, smug, ignorant, Bob Costas, and the others. Can one somehow hook onto other coverages, e.g. CBC or BBC - or are those going to be equally irritating?

Webcasts seem to be without talking heads. The graphics have been quite informational in swimming, boxing, water sports, gymnastics...
Pego

Postby uakari » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:58 pm

bob costas is twit, and wtf, aging pretty boy? when was he ever pretty?

nbc coverage of course is atrocious. i went home last night to catch the men's gymn. all around final, and they kept focusing on the americans. marcel nguyen, the german who finished 2nd, they didn't even show him until the last routine, because that'd decided whether the us got bronze or silver. pathetic.

i was watching some VB online, and i have to say, the BBC announcer is totally clueless about the sport, constantly asking basic questions from the "expert." i'm surprised GB even fielded teams in this sport -- i saw the GB women beat algeria, and they were about the level of a top US high school team...
uakari

Postby AS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm

uakari wrote:i'm surprised GB even fielded teams in this sport -- i saw the GB women beat algeria, and they were about the level of a top US high school team...

The host nation gets automatic entry in to pretty much every team sport (and most events) at a Games. I seem to recall some pretty awful Aussie volleyball back in Sydney. And we scrambled together a Handball team of Cool Runnings quality (as it appears have GB: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... c-handball)
AS

Postby jhc68 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:19 am

Looking back, the worst NBC stuff was the nightly Ryan Seacrest review of social networking.... the idea being that what the masses of uninformed doofuses are tweeting is more important than actually covering events that the tweeters were posting about.
jhc68

Postby Friar » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:13 pm

"I seriously don't care about the royal air force in WWII, where's the 5k final? #Olympics #runnerproblems"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/12/nbc-olympics-tom-brokaw-world-war-ii_n_1770146.html?utm_hp_ref=media
This was about the host's egomania, not Sir Winston. NBC has lost it's way in a number of areas (Today Show is awful).
Friar

Postby EME1980 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:08 pm

One of the BBC commentators kept on expressing surprise that Kemboi ran out into lane 7 in the last 30m of the finishing straight yet he'd done that at least twice before at global championships.
EME1980

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:26 pm

EME1980 wrote:One of the BBC commentators kept on expressing surprise that Kemboi ran out into lane 7 in the last 30m of the finishing straight yet he'd done that at least twice before at global championships.

When I saw that, I thought of one of Desean Jackson's game winning touchdowns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vCaVfcZrLI
jazzcyclist