Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Breaking Bad - The Final Season(s)

Postby jeremyp » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:26 am

gh wrote:Jessie certainly doesn't like him much at this point

Is there anyone, other than Saul, who does? My guess is Swastika Uncle gets the ricin cigarette. Or Walt smokes it himself.
jeremyp

Postby JRM » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:14 pm

jeremyp wrote:

Is there anyone, other than Saul, who does? My guess is Swastika Uncle gets the ricin cigarette. Or Walt smokes it himself.

I doubt Walt would subject himself to the terrors of ricin poisoning, unless he somehow felt the need to suffer for his sins (which, I suppose, could be). I suspect its target is either the Uncle, as you suggest, or alternatively Lydia. Those are really the only characters left at this stage. Jesse seems to obvious, and I think they'll save his fate for a grand showdown.
JRM

Postby jeremyp » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:00 am

JRM wrote:
jeremyp wrote:

I doubt Walt would subject himself to the terrors of ricin poisoning, unless he somehow felt the need to suffer for his sins (which, I suppose, could be).
You're probably right. If the writers hold him true to character it depends on which Walt showed up with that scraggly beard. The egomaniac or the " I'm just a family man" delusional one.
jeremyp

Postby JRM » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:54 am

If anyone's hungry and near New Mexico:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-pollos-hermanos-albuquerque
JRM

Postby jhc68 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:14 am

Next week: "All bad things come to an end..."
jhc68

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Finally got around to watching the last three episodes in lieu of the Emmys last night. Was so inspired I wikied all five seasons synopsis. I don't have all the characters straight but apparently none have any redeeming qualities.
I am looking forward to the finale, hopefully before the facilitator has to make too many more Albuquerque-New Hampshire round trips.

A little let down to see the actor who played Landry in Friday Nite Lights in a rouge role. :(

Relieved they did not import Connie Britton and Minka Kelly :)
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:50 am

lonewolf wrote:Finally got around to watching the last three episodes in lieu of the Emmys last night. Was so inspired I wikied all five seasons synopsis. I don't have all the characters straight but apparently none have any redeeming qualities.
I am looking forward to the finale, hopefully before the facilitator has to make too many more Albuquerque-New Hampshire round trips.

A little let down to see the actor who played Landry in Friday Nite Lights in a rouge role. :(

Relieved they did not import Connie Britton and Minka Kelly :)

Hopefully Todd will come to a bitter end at the hands of Walt's M60. Connie is stuck in "Nashville" and Minka was too busy playing Jackie in "The Butler." I am in the midst of a BB marathon. I'm up to episode 35 and hope to finish before Sunday's finale. Jesse had better live!
jeremyp

Postby gh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:02 am

although "marathon" still works on this board, note that the phenomenon of gorging on whole seasons of old TV series has now entered the lexicon as "binge-watching"

(I'm a serial offender: most recently redid last season's Sons of Anarchy in 3 days before this year's started anew)
gh

Postby JRM » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:33 am

jeremyp wrote:Hopefully Todd will come to a bitter end at the hands of Walt's M60. Connie is stuck in "Nashville" and Minka was too busy playing Jackie in "The Butler." I am in the midst of a BB marathon. I'm up to episode 35 and hope to finish before Sunday's finale. Jesse had better live!

I'm pretty sure Todd will go down at the hands of Jesse. They've set him (Todd) up as the nemesis.
JRM

Postby gh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:41 am

Jesse takes out the skinheads (and himself) in one hellacious "oops" in the lab; Walt's too busy machine-gunning his former friend/partner who has dissed him on national TV.

(meanwhile, Skyler runs away with Saul.... :mrgreen: )
gh

Postby jeremyp » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:22 pm

gh wrote:although "marathon" still works on this board, note that the phenomenon of gorging on whole seasons of old TV series has now entered the lexicon as "binge-watching"

(I'm a serial offender: most recently redid last season's Sons of Anarchy in 3 days before this year's started anew)

I'm binge watching because in half an hour I get to drink a half gallon of pre colonoscopy stuff. :D
jeremyp

Postby jhc68 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Ugh... take heart, though: the pre-colonoscopy camel piss you have to drink is much worse than the scope itself.
jhc68

Postby gh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:51 pm

yeah, but then they give you awesome stuff during the procedure! (oh, sorry, channeling my '60s self)
gh

Postby lonewolf » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 am

I don't remember any awesome stuff during the procedure.. in fact, I don't remember anything.. I think I was out...I do remember the dreaded pre-procedure liquid intake. :(
lonewolf

Postby jeremyp » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:19 pm

lonewolf wrote:I don't remember any awesome stuff during the procedure.. in fact, I don't remember anything.. I think I was out...I do remember the dreaded pre-procedure liquid intake. :(

If we dropped 100 gallons of that stuff on Syria, we could bypass the UN, Russia, Assad, and ALQ!
I remember my first one in the 80's. I was given a 10mg valium and a demerol. Then the RN told me to "be quiet" as I was disturbing the Doctor with my Gitmo noises. The next one they gave me Verced (?) and I remember being awake through the whole thing and not remembering a damn thing. Then came Michael Jackson's favorite drug (Profanol(?)) and blessed sleep, until the last minutes when I always wake up.... and don't care what they're doing. This time my first woman anesthesiologist. Cold as ice. When I told her I was awake, she put a pillow over my head. I kid you not.
jeremyp

Postby jhc68 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Colonoscopy is child's play... wait'll you get to have a prostate biopsy :shock:

At the moment the only good thing about getting a week older every seven days is that I get to watch another episode of Breaking Bad.
Now after Sunday I need to find some other focus point! :lol:
Come to think of it I do have a pretty cool little grandson to hang out with :wink:
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:45 am

jhc68 wrote:Colonoscopy is child's play... wait'll you get to have a prostate biopsy :shock:

At the moment the only good thing about getting a week older every seven days is that I get to watch another episode of Breaking Bad.
Now after Sunday I need to find some other focus point! :lol:
Come to think of it I do have a pretty cool little grandson to hang out with :wink:

Perhaps help is on the way!
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/26/busin ... =arts&_r=0
jeremyp

Postby gh » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:08 am

link coincidentally sent to me by a friend today

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_43f9RzAqMM
gh

Postby lonewolf » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:26 pm

Now, THATS funny. :o
lonewolf

Postby gh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:43 am

gh wrote:poor Dean Norris must be feeling very confused at this point: on Breaking Bad he's in charge of unraveling Walt's evil empire, but meanwhile, over on Under The Dome he's busy creating one of his own!

noted by Jesse Squire in his great weekend column: Norris played Bill Dellinger in Without Limits
gh

Postby gh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 am

gh wrote:poor Dean Norris must be feeling very confused at this point: on Breaking Bad he's in charge of unraveling Walt's evil empire, but meanwhile, over on Under The Dome he's busy creating one of his own!
gh

Postby gh » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:46 am

Jesse Squire noted in his excellent column today that Norris played Bill Dellinger in Without Limits
gh

Postby jhc68 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Channel surfing the other day I noticed that Bryan Cranston had a small role in Saving Private Ryan as a one-armed officer in the Pentagon during the scenes where the decision is made to find Ryan and remove him from the battlefield.
jhc68

Postby jeremyp » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 am

jhc68 wrote:Channel surfing the other day I noticed that Bryan Cranston had a small role in Saving Private Ryan as a one-armed officer in the Pentagon during the scenes where the decision is made to find Ryan and remove him from the battlefield.

He's had a lot of "small" roles in movies. Any actor would have given their soul to play W.W., or Pinkman, or Hank, or Fring, or Mike, or Saul. What makes this show so worthy is the writing ,the focus on character, and the juicy, small scenarios throughout the series, and then mix it all up with a heavy dose of dry, sardonic, humor. "The Wire" is still my top TV show of all time but "B.B." is a close second.
jeremyp

Postby jhc68 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:05 am

I see the final episode is titled Felina...
Calls to mind Marty Robbins' refences @ "the badlands of New Mexico" and ending with the dying cowboy saying "one little kiss and Felina goodbye."
jhc68

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:29 am

Jesse Pinkman is going to wake up in the back of Mr. White's chemistry class, Wizard of Oz style.
JumboElliott

Postby JRM » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:50 pm

jhc68 wrote:I see the final episode is titled Felina...
Calls to mind Marty Robbins' refences @ "the badlands of New Mexico" and ending with the dying cowboy saying "one little kiss and Felina goodbye."

Yep. If you know all the lyrics to "El Paso," you know the episode.

Awesomely done. Haven't really seen TV like this before.
JRM

Postby gh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:11 am

wow

They pretty much tied up all the loose ends and, did it delightfully so with the show's come-to-be-expected mix of subtle skullduggery (the laser pens were sheer brilliance) and slam-bang pyrotechnics.
gh

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:21 am

Having seen zero episodes, but having done a little homework, even I enjoyed it last night. The suspense/intensity was sustained admirably. Reminded me of one of my faves, Justified.
Marlow

Postby gh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:51 am

OK, so there's one loose end they didn't tie up. Is Saul indeed running a Cinnabon franchise in Nebraska?
gh

Postby lonewolf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 am

I only saw the last two or three episodes and did not recognized all the character on sight but figured out everyone except the rich couple he inveigled into creating the trust fund for his son and the woman he fed the ricin..the lasers were sheer genius....
Last edited by lonewolf on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
lonewolf

Postby JRM » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:03 am

I was thinking: the future probably isn't so bright for Jesse. When the cops raid the compound at the end, they will likely find his DEA confession tape (unless that was destroyed -- I can't remember).

As for Saul: we shall see!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/1 ... 09001.html
JRM

Postby gh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:36 am

That leads to a list to this wonderful bit of reviewing (long read)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-r ... ref=topbar
gh

Postby jeremyp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:16 am

It was a smooth ending. All the (obvious) loose ends got tied up - if we don't look into the future too much - and there were only small, forgivable, suspend disbelief moments. I finally finished my marathon recoup and the series is even more deeply etched in my brain as an opus of entertaining, intelligent, invigorating , morality tale on the (never in fiction, but rarely in fact) banal subject of the amorality of power.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:55 am

And isn't is telling that I, who had never seen the show, immediately knew that he had poisoned her in the coffee shop. Hollywood can't help but telegraph it (lingering shot of the cup).
Marlow

Postby jeremyp » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:14 am

Marlow wrote:And isn't is telling that I, who had never seen the show, immediately knew that he had poisoned her in the coffee shop. Hollywood can't help but telegraph it (lingering shot of the cup).

But without knowing the history of the poison, the knowledge is in and of itself pointless. Fans have been following this poison and knew full well it was going to be used in the final episode, just not on who. What is telling is that you are trying to disparage a show you have no knowledge of.
jeremyp

Postby Marlow » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:06 pm

jeremyp wrote:
Marlow wrote:And isn't is telling that I, who had never seen the show, immediately knew that he had poisoned her in the coffee shop. Hollywood can't help but telegraph it (lingering shot of the cup).

But without knowing the history of the poison, the knowledge is in and of itself pointless. Fans have been following this poison and knew full well it was going to be used in the final episode, just not on who. What is telling is that you are trying to disparage a show you have no knowledge of.

Disparage? I actually enjoyed the episode, even though I had little backstory!
Marlow

Postby JRM » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Marlow wrote:Disparage? I actually enjoyed the episode, even though I had little backstory!

OK, but your post did make it sound like you were down on the episode, e.g. "I never watched the show, but that one scene with the poison was so over-the-top Hollywood, NOT subtle!" As jeremyp said, the ricin had become sort of a character itself over the course of the show. Who was going to be the recipient was the big question. So when she dumps the sweetener in her tea, that's the ricin's big spotlight moment. It was supposed to be in-your-face obvious. Even I said to my wife "Aha! There goes the ricin!"
JRM

Postby gh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:30 pm

and if you're completely over the top

http://badifyyourself.com
gh

Postby gh » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:37 pm

JRM wrote:
Marlow wrote:Disparage? I actually enjoyed the episode, even though I had little backstory!

OK, but your post did make it sound like you were down on the episode, e.g. "I never watched the show, but that one scene with the poison was so over-the-top Hollywood, NOT subtle!" As jeremyp said, the ricin had become sort of a character itself over the course of the show. Who was going to be the recipient was the big question. So when she dumps the sweetener in her tea, that's the ricin's big spotlight moment. It was supposed to be in-your-face obvious. Even I said to my wife "Aha! There goes the ricin!"

and let's not forget the LCD factor. Thread on the IMDB discussion board today:

<<How did Walt get the ricin into Lydia's coffee?>>
gh

PreviousNext