Jomsom, Nepal. The World's most dangerous airport.

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Jomsom, Nepal. The World's most dangerous airport.

Postby Conor Dary » Mon May 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Years ago I once flew to this airport. You don't really descend. You just make a turn and there is the runway.

15 Die in Nepal Plane Crash

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/world ... ?ref=world
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Jomsom, Nepal. The World's most dangerous airport.

Postby catson52 » Tue May 15, 2012 5:53 am

Haven't been to it. The airlines operating out of Pokhara (Everest area flights) seemed to be
fairly "simple" and quite dangerous. I guess Jomsom lies quite close to Dhaulagiri, the spectacular, seventh highest mountain, in the world.
catson52

Postby Conor Dary » Tue May 15, 2012 6:07 am

Dhaulagiri, the Annapurnas. Spectacular flight from Pokhara, and not very long. But a dramatic change in climate. More like the moon up in Jomsom and beyond towards Muktinath, where we are in this picture in an earlier thread. (Ah, the halcyon days when we could post our own photos!)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42488&p=687317&
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby catson52 » Tue May 15, 2012 9:07 am

What are those peaks in the background of the earlier photo? Furthest to left, seems to be Machhapuchhhare.
catson52

Postby Conor Dary » Tue May 15, 2012 12:39 pm

The most prominent on the left is Machapuchare. The others I believe are Annapurna I and II.
Dhaulagiri is to the left out of the picture.
Conor Dary

Postby gh » Wed May 16, 2012 10:54 am

Anybody here ever landed in St. George, Utah? I did on the way out of the '75 NCAA in Provo, in a small prop plane (Piper Comanche maybe?) on some never-heard-of air service.

At any rate, the airport in St. George is situated on a mesa outside of town and hundreds of feet higher. I swear, we flew straight at the rock wall (Tom Jordan was in the shotgun seat, bug-eyed) which was a hundred feet or so below the landing surface and when we were just a few hundred yards out there was a huge upwelling of air from below—the reverse feeling of an air-pocket—and we elevatored uuuup! and then proceeded to be on the level to land. Can't believe the FAA permits it.
gh

Postby Conor Dary » Wed May 16, 2012 11:42 am

That sounds awful. Wonder what the accident rate is there.

The Jomsom flight I was on, a Royal Nepal Pilatus Porter, was in good weather and uneventful, except for the scenery. You go right by Dhaulagiri. Though I did hear stories in Kathmandu from tourists who trekked north from Pokhara and got stuck in Jomsom for a couple of weeks because of the weather.
Conor Dary

Postby Conor Dary » Thu May 17, 2012 6:58 am

gh wrote: (Tom Jordan was in the shotgun seat, bug-eyed)

And just a couple of weeks after Pre's Rock became famous. What irony.
Conor Dary