Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]


A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby gh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:51 pm

OK, two weeks in and Last Resort is blowing my mind. Of course the JJ Abrams touch & feel is all over it. When the troops were hiding in the kill zone in ep2, I kept expecting the Volkswagen Microbus from Lost to come rolling down the hill.

Has there ever been a production with Andre Brauger in it that wasn't eminently worth watching?

(anybody ever catch him in The Court Martial of Jackie Robinson?)
gh
 
Posts: 46294
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby jeremyp » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 am

gh wrote:OK, two weeks in and Last Resort is blowing my mind. Of course the JJ Abrams touch & feel is all over it. When the troops were hiding in the kill zone in ep2, I kept expecting the Volkswagen Microbus from Lost to come rolling down the hill.

Has there ever been a production with Andre Brauger in it that wasn't eminently worth watching?

(anybody ever catch him in The Court Martial of Jackie Robinson?)


It's LOST with a submarine. Which means it teeters on top of a ludicrous supposition that does not fit the real world. I mean come on: Pakistan has been nuked! They have the 3d largest number of Nukes in the world (more than Israel) and there would be a nuclear war going on out there....meanwhile back on the Island. Andre is great! "Thief" was a good show pulled way too early, mainly because it required thought.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby gh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 am

jeremyp wrote:.... I mean come on: Pakistan has been nuked! They have the 3d largest number of Nukes in the world (more than Israel) and there would be a nuclear war going on out there...


But would there? At least one that involves the U.S., that is. Pakistan can have all the nukes it wants; if it doesn't have a delivery system capable of getting them out of its immediate neighborhood, that makes for a whole different ballgame.

I would also guess that unlike the U.S., which has strike-capacity redundancy spread over tens of thousands of square miles (without even getting into subs), Pakistan's resources (both in terms of the hardware itself and those with the decision-making authority) are likely to be rather compact, and one well-placed nuke would pretty much neuter them.

(I hasten to add that I'm advocating no such thing! Just noting what the tactical aspects seem to be, given that we're debating a fantasy planet in the first place.)
gh
 
Posts: 46294
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 am

gh wrote:
jeremyp wrote:.... I mean come on: Pakistan has been nuked! They have the 3d largest number of Nukes in the world (more than Israel) and there would be a nuclear war going on out there...


But would there? At least one that involves the U.S., that is. Pakistan can have all the nukes it wants; if it doesn't have a delivery system capable of getting them out of its immediate neighborhood, that makes for a whole different ballgame.

I would also guess that unlike the U.S., which has strike-capacity redundancy spread over tens of thousands of square miles (without even getting into subs), Pakistan's resources (both in terms of the hardware itself and those with the decision-making authority) are likely to be rather compact, and one well-placed nuke would pretty much neuter them.

(I hasten to add that I'm advocating no such thing! Just noting what the tactical aspects seem to be, given that we're debating a fantasy planet in the first place.)


I truly doubt Pakistan has any nukes, capable of reaching the US or even pointed at the US. They are all pointed at India, and maybe a few at China. If a nuclear war ever started it would most likely be there. In fact a few years ago it looked like it might come to that.

And why would the US get involved, nuclearly, in that?
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby jeremyp » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:52 am

gh wrote:
jeremyp wrote:.... I mean come on: Pakistan has been nuked! They have the 3d largest number of Nukes in the world (more than Israel) and there would be a nuclear war going on out there...


But would there? At least one that involves the U.S., that is. Pakistan can have all the nukes it wants; if it doesn't have a delivery system capable of getting them out of its immediate neighborhood, that makes for a whole different ballgame.
They also have thousands of foam mouthed jihadists quite willing to take a nuke across borders and the Pakistan govt would hand them out like candy. A nuclear war with India would draw us in big time. In the end we'd win but............... in the meantime back on the island.

(I hasten to add that I'm advocating no such thing! Just noting what the tactical aspects seem to be, given that we're debating a fantasy planet in the first place.)

And we're debating good fantasy versus silly fantsay.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby Conor Dary » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:03 am

The big risk of a nuclear war in that region for the US is nuclear winter.

    The greatest risk for nuclear war in our time is the scenario in which a Pakistan-based terror group with ties to Inter-Services Intelligence launches another attack on India ("another Mumbai" is the catchphrase, but it won't necessarily have to be of that scale or spectacle and is widely considered a matter of when, not if) and this touches off a sequence of escalation that results in a nuclear strike and response. It's nearly happened before. Aparna Pande, a fellow at the Hudson Institute, described the strong pro-nuclear strike faction in Indian politics after the Mumbai attacks in 2008 and the common sentiment of, "if Pakistan can cross the border and hit us, why can't we hit back?" The answer is: because it's a short fuse. That simple fact, and the peril it implies, has been enough in the past, but it might not be good enough next time.

    This is a global problem. "The impact on the United States is potentially larger than people realize," said Matthew Bunn, co-principal investigator for the Project on Managing the Atom at Harvard University. He described studies in which nuclear war was simulated using atmospheric models developed for climate change research, "and if cities are actually burned it can cause enough soot to go up into the upper atmosphere that will stay for a long time, to seriously interfere with global agriculture." The resultant nuclear autumn could cause famine, and not just in South Asia.

http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20 ... r_exchange
Conor Dary
 
Posts: 6297
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby Marlow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:58 am

I'm into Last Resort too, but my suspension of disbelief is also being stretched to the limit. There would be many, many ways to have already taken out the Colorado, given the resources of whoever the Bad Guys turn out to be. And the nature of the Bad Guys doesn't make for a logical fit. Like Lost, there's already too many stray pieces that will EVER be re-integrated into the puzzle.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21076
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby gh » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:46 am

Best night of the week for TV now is Friday, watching the DVRed versions of Thursday's Last Resort and Person Of Interest.
gh
 
Posts: 46294
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Top TV shows for 2011 [and now 2012]

Postby jeremyp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:56 am

gh wrote:Best night of the week for TV now is Friday, watching the DVRed versions of Thursday's Last Resort and Person Of Interest.

Actually it's Sunday!
Masterpiece (2x Midwife and Upstairs/downstairs, and soon Downton Abbey)), The Good Wife, The Walking Dead, Sixty minutes, and.....oh O.K. Revenge. Or as we call it: The Good the Bad and the Ugly.
jeremyp
 
Posts: 4541
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Florida

Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests