It Was 48 Years Ago Today

A place for the discussion of all things not closely related to the sport and its competitive side. (as always, locked for the duration of major international championship)

It Was 48 Years Ago Today

Postby DoubleRBar » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:46 am

How many of you remember November 22, 1963? What were you doing when you heard the news that President Kennedy had been shot and killed in Dallas? Really hard to believe it was 48 years ago.

I was a senior in high school and the announcement was made by our principal over the public address system that JFK had been shot. I believe that was my third period class (in California). The next period, it was announced that he was dead. Many teachers and students were crying.

If you weren't alive in 1963, do you remember your parents or grandparents talking about the assassination? Any stories on that?
DoubleRBar

Re: It Was 48 Years Ago Today

Postby kuha » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:55 am

A day that no one over a certain age will ever forget. I was in the 6th grade & heard about it just after lunchtime. It was really hard to fathom how huge the event was, but our parents were clearly very disturbed (even the ones who had voted for Nixon). It's true that this was that generation's 9-11.
kuha

Postby Conor Dary » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:17 am

Fourth grade and we just had come back from gym and our teacher, Mrs. Reynolds, in tears tells us the news. Then watched live Oswald getting shot by Ruby a couple of days later. Still rather surreal.

PS. Portugal's Castro twins were born that day.
Conor Dary

Location: कनोर दारी in Ronald MacDonald's Home Town, and once a Duck always a Duck.

Postby jeremyp » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:24 am

I was in Peace Corps training in Hawaii. Mcnamara, Dean Rusk and 5 members of the cabinet happened to be in Honolulu just prior to the assasination and rumor had it they wanted to meet with some volunteers, but of course that never happened. Since the Peace Corp was JFK's baby we were especially hard hit. They gave us a 3 day leave and a bunch of us went to the west coast of the big island and got drunk.
jeremyp

Postby lonewolf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:37 am

I was having a ham sandwich at the pub across the street from my office building in Wichita, Ks.
Kennedy was not personally revered at that time and place. I do not recall an atmosphere of mourning so much as that when it soaked in that it was real, there was general outrage that it could happen to the President of the United States.
lonewolf

Postby dukehjsteve » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:50 am

Junior in college. Left a 11:30 class, went to a silly movie alone. Got in my car to drive home, turned on radio, and heard..."....if you want to pray for the President churches are open..." took about another 10 seconds to hear what had happened, only another 5 minutues to hear he had died. Here's the odd part... I RUSHED back to campus because I was thinking I had to let other peoiple know about this !!! When I burst into my fraternity house to impart this information to others, there was over 50 guys glued to the TV. I quickly reallized that this was mega news to end all mega news.

Drove 4 hours to DC 3 days later, shinnied up a drainpipe and sat on top of a one story building and watched the funeral cortege pass by below me. Took some pictures that I of course still have.
dukehjsteve

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:55 pm

I think I am repeating myself from some earlier thread on this subject.

I had just been discharged from active military duty in the Czechoslovak armed forces a few weeks earlier and served on a weekend call for the county hospital emergency service (going with the ambulance to make house calls in surrounding villages and Gypsy hamlets). I had just delivered a patient to the neuro floor when a surgeon on call walked in and said "John Fitzgerald was shot". We turned on the radio and listened for a few minutes, before I had to go.
Pego

Postby odelltrclan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Wonder if this is a phishing expedition? Perhaps to go hand in hand with the hack? We have some aged followers here it appears :wink: I was alive (depending upon your political views on the matter) but unborn!.
Last edited by odelltrclan on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odelltrclan

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:20 pm

I was in 5th grade. They closed school early. We may not have known that he had died until I got home. I recall not knowing exactly what to make of it because there had not been any assasinations that had happened in my lifetime that I knew about. It just seemed unreal. Unfortunately, we would see more of them later in the decade.

It happened on a Friday and I recall all television progamming for the weekend being cancelled to cover the event. Of course, there weren't a zillion channels in those days. The only other thing while I was growing up that I recall being covered on all the channels was the first moon landing
Halfmiler2

Postby Pego » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:09 pm

odelltrclan wrote:Wonder if this is a phishing expedition? Perhaps to go hand in hand with the hack? We have some aged followers here it appears :wink: I was alive (depending upon your political views on the matter) but unborn!.

Isn't "venerable" or "wise" so much nicer euphemism for "aged"?" :wink:
Pego

Postby odelltrclan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Pego wrote:
odelltrclan wrote:Wonder if this is a phishing expedition? Perhaps to go hand in hand with the hack? We have some aged followers here it appears :wink: I was alive (depending upon your political views on the matter) but unborn!.

Isn't "venerable" or "wise" so much nicer euphemism for "aged"?" :wink:

Yes of course, but it delivers a little less of the desired effect if you are the one dishing, as my kids so often let me know. :shock: :lol:
odelltrclan

Postby wineturtle » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Seems the event in Dealy Plaza is not even worth a Google Doodle.
wineturtle

Postby bambam » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:14 pm

7th grade - just came back to homeroom at about 1:55 EST and somebody said to Mrs Welch, "I heard President Kennedy was just shot" and she told him to be quite and stop spreading such silly rumors. For some reason my mother was picking up my sister and me at school and went I out a few minutes later and they were both in the car and crying. My father always said the thing he remembered most from that weekend were the fife and drums corps from the funeral cortege, and the eerie sound they made.
bambam